Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not shifting under full throttle please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not shifting under full throttle please help

I have a 1998 Trans Am and recently had installed the Yank SS3600 Torque convertor, trans cooler etc and got a mail order tune by Frost. I put the recommended 150 miles of normal driving on the car and it seems to drive great but when I get on it it doesnt shift just bounces off the rev limiter even if I get into 2nd or 3d gear and hit it, it will downshift then bounce off the rev limiter??? Any suggestions on where to go from here? after all this time and $ I am getting tired of this car already!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Brian, don't get discouraged! If you'll do a search you'll find that it is a very, very common symptom once a high stalling torque converter has been installed.

You're on the right track by installing a cooler and getting a tune. However, the devil is in the details. First, do not continue to let it hang out at a high rpm and not upshift. That is detrimental to the operation of the transmission. You need to take your car to a qualified Tuner in your area and have him take a look at your transmission to make sure it isn't hurt and then have him tune the PCM to your specific combination. A mail order tune just won't cut it bud. Get that done and let us know how it works out for you. TYou might even call Frost and ask him if he has a solution as he has already been paid for the tune. That might save you a few bucks, but I don't think he'll be able to get it right without a few tries as he cannot drive the car and dial it in.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

alright thanks for the input I contacted Frost and he said being the car has the recommended 150 miles break in period the convertors tend to loosed up etc. So I sent the PCM back to him and he did what he said needed to be done and I got it back today. When I get home we will be taking it out to see how it shifts. thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like torque management needed to be deleted. my car had the same problem when i got it back from my tuner.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brian r
alright thanks for the input I contacted Frost and he said being the car has the recommended 150 miles break in period the convertors tend to loosed up etc....

Actually I said it happens when stalls come in looser than expected

Hopefully things get worked out.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

it very well could be tune related but check obvious stuff first like fluid level and leaks if you havent already.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

I put the PCM back in and same problem drives ok just cruising nut still shift from 1st to 2nd at almost 4 k and just bounces off the rev limiter at full throttle does not shift at all. Getting ready to sell it as is ans go back to the fox body this **** is getting old FAST!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

If you set the parking brake, pump the brake pedal a few times and then pull it into manual low gear and raise the engine rpm where does the tach go to? What does your converter stall it in your combination?

g
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Get some local with to you with efi live or HP tuners. Your trans tune is out of wack and not Frosts fault. With converters every car is different and can be a pita to dial in. Bet if your lower your speed for shifts and play with the trans tune it will work fine. Make sure your tune has the right gears and tire height as well. Get someone with gps to ride in your car and make sure your speed show on speedo is right on the money
Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 PM
FormerVendor

There is more than a little breathing room in the tune right now. The WOT shift MPH is actually set 1.5 MPH lower than OEM (which is set to come in just before a 6K shift) and the commanded shift is moved up to 6400 RPMs. This shows MPH easily gets met first. The limiter is set at 6700. All of the rear gear/tire settings are OEM, so there is nothing funny there. The old p0121 that only hampers 98s has it's range set full MAP to disable. It's just a 3600 stall; it shouldn't even need this much room.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

I will try the parking brake thing I called speed inc and they are 3 -4 weeks behind and not really excited about getting my car finally done in Sept.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brian r
I put the PCM back in and same problem drives ok just cruising nut still shift from 1st to 2nd at almost 4 k and just bounces off the rev limiter at full throttle does not shift at all. Getting ready to sell it as is ans go back to the fox body this **** is getting old FAST!
I hate to say this, but I just had this same problem. The car was shifting from 1st to 2nd around 4K. Then all of a sudden it wasn't shifting at all...only if I let off the throttle. Then it would shift to 3rd. Long story short, both my 2nd gear band and SS3600's clutches were destroyed I drove the car for the very first time yesterday, since the trans build and it drives and shifts like a dream. You might look into possibly rebuilding the trans and or converter...just trying to say keep it in mind. To be honest, I do miss having a manual car...better yet, the control of being able to shift when I want. A4's are just too complex and require way too much effort while trying to make power.

Last edited by Sweet_SS; 08-09-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

One thing that has not been discussed here is the fact that the transmission may have excessively worn soft parts. Bottom line is, with a weak or slipping input sprag, a glazed band, a 3/4 clutch pack with say .060 clearance it is highly possible that your unit is just not going to perform like you wish it would.

In my experience when a 60e is allowed to hang out at high rpm's and not upshift when it is being commanded it is eating itself up right from the very instant it did it the first time. I hate to say it, but Sweet SS is right. It may be time to consider a nice transmission upgrade.

g

Quick Reply: Not shifting under full throttle please help