Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI 6X (4l80e)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI 6X (4l80e)

I'm swapping a LS3 and 6X into my Bmw and I'm having issues with clearance for the cooler lines. What size are the threads? What is the tightest radius I can get away with and where can I get some made up? I have Russell AN fittings and elbows, but they stick out to much on the front line.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesus Freak
I'm swapping a LS3 and 6X into my Bmw and I'm having issues with clearance for the cooler lines. What size are the threads? What is the tightest radius I can get away with and where can I get some made up? I have Russell AN fittings and elbows, but they stick out to much on the front line.

Thanks guys!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640520

These will replace the trans fittings and give you a 6an out direct on the trans. You can use a 90 degree elbow fitting for max clearance, though a 90 degree radius fitting is better. I originally had two 45s on my car, but ended up with a 45 and a 90 fitting on my trans for clearance (the 90 has more clearance). Here's what it looks like coming out of the case with the -AN adapters

Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DietCoke
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640520

These will replace the trans fittings and give you a 6an out direct on the trans. You can use a 90 degree elbow fitting for max clearance, though a 90 degree radius fitting is better. I originally had two 45s on my car, but ended up with a 45 and a 90 fitting on my trans for clearance (the 90 has more clearance). Here's what it looks like coming out of the case with the -AN adapters

Thanks. I have the Russell fittings you posted. As for the 90s I was looking at something like this.

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...extfmt=default

Right off the trans to give maximum clearance, then use the Russell fittings and socketless hose.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

That would probable be your best bet. Just remember the trans case is NPS, not NPT.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DietCoke
That would probable be your best bet. Just remember the trans case is NPS, not NPT.
It'll still thread in there, just have to be more cautious when tightening.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I need some electrical help. I need to wire up a neutral safety, a standard 4l80e neutral safety switch doesn't work because the shift arm out of the trans is too short.
So, use micro switches? Micro switches and a relay? I need a signal for Park, Neutral and Reverse. If someone could describe how I should do it, or a quick diagram sketch that'd be awesome.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need some electrical help. I need to wire up a neutral safety, a standard 4l80e neutral safety switch doesn't work because the shift arm out of the trans is too short.
So, use micro switches? Micro switches and a relay? I need a signal for Park, Neutral and Reverse. If someone could describe how I should do it, or a quick diagram sketch that'd be awesome.
What shifter?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Stock BMW
Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

I used a Dakota Digital gear indicator and gear position sending unit with my TCI 6X, but C2 Vette PG/A4 shifter arm may be longer than your BMW's. The way it works, it may not make any difference.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...cat/cat401.htm

I used rectangular indicator.

You can get the fittings you need to get clearance for cooling lines from TCI too. Had same problem with that.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Launching!

I looked at the Dakota digital setup, but it seems like its excessive for my application. I don't need an indicator or anything like that.
What my plan is right now is a couple micro switches and a couple relays... But I'll see when I get there, just thought I'd see if others have a solution.

I was able to bend some tubing tight enough to work.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

So I need some help with settings on the Ez TCU. I changed the "upshift 5" to 600 and that helped with smoothness on the later gears. But it's going through the first 3-4 gears too fast. Any tips?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

what i have done is take the stock fitting, mark which way i want it to point (tighten fitting) grind it down a little, then get a 1/4 pipe to #6 90 deg steel fitting, cut down the 1/4 side to where i can still get a good weld on it, weld it to the stock fitting, and when i screw it back into the trans i have the shortest 90 fitting you can get
they make a 1/4 90 to #6 swivel, i tried to get a co to make some up in 1/4 18 NPTS to #6 90 deg, but they wouldnt
Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue with shifts being too soon for my tastes...
I ended up buying a different trans controller...
I bought an old redbox controller that TCI no longer sells so I could program the entire transmission myself..
the box itself is actually made by Powertrain Control Solutions and it was relabeled for TCI...
I have no idea if the box still works for the TCI 6x, but I'm sure a firmware flash could change it to use the TCI files if needed...it would be an easy question for you to ask TCI and PCS about.
PCS calls it a TCM-2000

as far as shifts with the EZ TCU, theres not much on the settings to get it drastically different..you have to change the shift aggressiveness settings(I think) to a higher # to get it to stay in each gear longer.
I cant remember off hand...but I could walk you thru it over the phone if you wanted to pm me your # or something.
cant guarantee it could make it to the point you want...it obviously wasnt enough for me in my setup

I also purchased a Digital gauge.... mine was thru PCS...it was the only solution at the time that TCI knew of and I wasnt able to find anything else...but I'm glad there are alternatives now.
and mine actually uses the CAN bus from the TCI Redbox controller...so I get PRND321 in Auto Mode and I get PRN123456 in Bump Shift Mode
gear gauge is a TCM-3700
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...%20Catalog.pdf (on catalog page 8)

Last edited by soundengineer; 03-27-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:21 AM
8 Second Club

So I need some help with settings on the Ez TCU. I changed the "upshift 5" to 600 and that helped with smoothness on the later gears. But it's going through the first 3-4 gears too fast. Any tips?
IIRC that upshift 5 actually needs to be set to about 900ms as I was told by TCI...
Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

JFreak,

I checked TCI's Ez TCU manual to see what it said about adjusting vehiicle speeds under light loads. I'm assuming your talking light load.

LOWSPEED SHIFT. This setting is used to adjust the vehicle speeds at which the transmission shifts under very light load, i.e., when the TPS reading is small.

A higher number means the transmission will shift at higher speeds.

NOTE: The handheld uses the setting entered here to perform calculations related to shift speeds. The results are what actually get written to the TCU. Not this setting itself.

So anytime you access this setting, it will display the same default value to start. This is not an indication of a problem. The TCU does retain the shift speed information.

I'd read the manual over 3-4 times, then go out with manual in hand and go thru the setup again. Make sure TPS Idle and Full Throttle positions are set correctly (note: I believe your supposed to set voltage slight lower than reading locked in on both, (for sure Full Throttle) to avoid voltage fluctuation.

Then start adjusting Low speed shift higher until you get up speed shifts under light load to your liking.

Also stumbled across this.

TCIŽ 6x Six-Speed in Drive
Just like the 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions, when the TCIŽ 6x Six-Speed transmission is operated with the shift lever in the L3/Drive position, it uses 3 forward gears.

Might want to make sure shifter is allowing you to select OD/D position. Just in case shifter is in L3/Drive position that only uses 3 forward gears and skipping at least 2 gears before it shifts to 5th.

PS: See you did post question on TCI's forum with no responces to date. Might want to give there Tech Support a call if you can't get results you want following their manual. That way you have a base for discussion with them on what you have already tried.

I have an LS3 376/480 and 6X setup, but I bought it before TCI changed over to the Ez controller. I have the older red box with Paddle shift w/indicator option. I'm still trying to get my horn to work....LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys! I'll mess with it tonight and see how it feels.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Set low speed shift to the max it would let me. Increased shift firmness and aggression went through all settings and all was ok. The handheld shows I'm in OD not D. 2nd and 4th gear seem non existent.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Been messing with it more, seems to hold shifts better. Now I'm just having trouble with the torque converter locking and un-locking at 50-60 mph. What settings should I change to help with this?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Well I got it to stop locking and unlocking, but now it won't lock up til about 70 mph... That ok?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM
8 Second Club

Well I got it to stop locking and unlocking, but now it won't lock up til about 70 mph... That ok?
I personally prefer it to lock up a lot sooner than that...

there are settings in teh ez-tcu to pick lockup MPH....
I would shoot for closer to 50 mph...
then it pretty much guarantees unlocked around town and locked on the highway

what settings did you change and what was it doing before?

Quick Reply: TCI 6X (4l80e)