Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop Tranny without Trans Jack

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Tranny without Trans Jack

I am changing my converter, I don't have a trans jack, but I do have a good low profile aluminum racing jack with the large pad. Any reason why I should not go this route and go buy a tranny jack? All I got left is the bolts and its ready to come down. Also how high do I have to have the car for the transmission to come out. I currently have it in my sloped driveway with the front end up on stands about 2' in the air. The way my driveway slopes I am hoping I can lower it down, slide it off the jack and slide the transmission out the front. I may try and just swap the converter under the car, IDK, I'd like to get the tranny out and so some cleaning under there.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bench pressed it out basically by myself. Putting it in I did the same with a friend nearby to line it up to the dowels since I couldn't see what I was doing. I had the car up level on 6 ton cornwell jack stands raised up 3 notches sitting on the subframes. Slid the trans out of the vehicle sideways. That sloped driveway might make things very interesting though... I wouldn't feel too safe depending on how steep the angle is!

Tip: Don't eat mexican food before-hand.

When I take the trans out and put it back again in 2 days I will be using a trans jack however... I'm sure it will make things much easier!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS.SIX
I bench pressed it out basically by myself. Putting it in I did the same with a friend nearby to line it up to the dowels since I couldn't see what I was doing. I had the car up level on 6 ton cornwell jack stands raised up 3 notches sitting on the subframes. Slid the trans out of the vehicle sideways. That sloped driveway might make things very interesting though... I wouldn't feel too safe depending on how steep the angle is!

Tip: Don't eat mexican food before-hand.

When I take the trans out and put it back again in 2 days I will be using a trans jack however... I'm sure it will make things much easier!
The sloped driveway sounds retarded, but it' really isn't that bad, I just drive the front end on ramps, that makes the car about level. Then I raised the front up and put jack stands under under the subframe right behind the K member. It's good and secure, not going anyway, the rear is chalked and the emergency brake cranked down. I may just try and lower it down, and swap the converter under the car and slap it right back up. I heard it can be a pain to make sure that thing is in, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

".....may just try and lower it down, and swap the converter under the car and slap it right back up. I heard it can be a pain to make sure that thing is in, ..."

should be no more a problem under the car than out, just roll the TC untill you get
" the three clicks " and then measure the setting from the face of the bell housing to the mounting pads of the TC
good luck and be carefull
Johnny
Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

I bought me one of these and love it.http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.htmlI myself would not do it without a trans jack.If I had help maybe.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

What brand of converter did you get?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Getting it down is easy. Getting it up and tilted right without a trans jack is a different ballgame entirely, but not impossible.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a small 2 ton jack with some 2x4's on it to get mine out.I had the front end up on ramps and the back end sitting on two jack stands so there really wasn't enough clearance to get a jack and the trans under there.

to get it back up, I used a stack of 2x10 wood blocks to slowly shim it back up into place.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I arm wrestled mine to the floor when it fell off the jack. I dislocated my shoulder but hung on. It still bothers me today, after 7 years. I've changed a few trans by myself, but now I'm old. Using the right tools is always a plus.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Take a look at any rental places that might be in your area, it's likely you could rent a trans jack locally.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never used a trans jack in all the times ive dropped my auto, and the 20+ times ive pulled T56s.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

i used a floor jack with a 1 foot section of 2x8 i had laying around under the pan to get my 4l60 in and out without any drama, but i had the front as well as the back up on stands. I did call over a buddy though to help which makes moving it into position a lot easier.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

I used the scissor jack that Was mentioned already, it's inexpensive and makes its much easier. You can get the trans in and out with it on the jack if you have the car high enough
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
I used the scissor jack that Was mentioned already, it's inexpensive and makes its much easier. You can get the trans in and out with it on the jack if you have the car high enough
I like that jack, harbor freight is obviously a little suspect on the quality, may go look at one this afternoon. As far as help goes, all I have is my wife who was going to (slowly) drop the jack while I steadied the trans coming down. I am ready to drop it though, three bolts finger tight on bottom is all I got left.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
I arm wrestled mine to the floor when it fell off the jack. I dislocated my shoulder but hung on. It still bothers me today, after 7 years. I've changed a few trans by myself, but now I'm old. Using the right tools is always a plus.
Ouch, telling tale, may indeed be worth the 75$ to save me a trip to the emergency room.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cheap aluminum racing jack will flex and probably flip over. I have a 4 ton jack that I use with a piece of 3/4" plywood then a strap over the top and down to the pad on the jack. It works really good.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Train
I like that jack, harbor freight is obviously a little suspect on the quality, may go look at one this afternoon. As far as help goes, all I have is my wife who was going to (slowly) drop the jack while I steadied the trans coming down. I am ready to drop it though, three bolts finger tight on bottom is all I got left.

ive had no issues with mine. and the only comment complaints i seen was the strap being in the way, but easy way around that is just unbolt it since the rachet cant be released easily while under the car.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
ive had no issues with mine. and the only comment complaints i seen was the strap being in the way, but easy way around that is just unbolt it since the rachet cant be released easily while under the car.
I like mine also.The only thing I am going to do is take the strap off and weld some metal on each side to make it a little wider for the trans pan.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There's also a flat adapter (large enough to fit on pan bottom, with lipped edges to avoid slipping off) that has a stem that fits in place of the saddle on a plain floor jack.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When the trans gets free, its EXTREMELY off centered in weight with the converter in. It makes it a disaster waiting to happen. I did drop my stocker on the concrete because I was not prepared for it to slide right out. Know what happened after that? The converter falling then throws your balance weight off in the other direction. What a pain

Quick Reply: Drop Tranny without Trans Jack