Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jakes 4L80E Manual controller box user reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Jakes 4L80E Manual controller box user reviews?

Please reply if you ARE using one or HAVE used one. Seems there are a lot of people out there talking about using one but no actual reviews.

I've an 04 80E with a Transgo HD2, shifts drilled for "firm"

My qestions are:
Would it be too firm to use for around town driving?
Is the pressure modulated enough to keep from always chirping the tires on the 1-2 & 2-3 shift when pulling away from an intersection?
Are there any site sponsor discounts? (looks like it was $150, now $200?)

Just seeing if it will be a feasible alternative to a full controller for the time being until I get it on the dyno and ironed out. I plan on getting this running and making sure the powerplant is going to stay together before I buy a full auto controller. If the rotating assy has problems, I'll be going to an EFI LS platform and won't need the controller anyhow.

Thanks in advance for the comments!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

We recently increased the price due to some theft of intellectual knowledge that occurred.
If I have to copyright and patent everything I send out, I have to cover that expense (large) by charging more for product. This is a direct result of that. You can thank some ******** on PerformanceTrucks.net for that.

We also now ship them ALL with delivery confirmation due to a bunch of dishonest ******** who claimed they didn't get them.

Shifts will be firm but shouldn't be brutal at part throttle even with the fixed line pressure. You COULD also vacuum modulate the transmission. However the combined costs make a standalone controller look more appealing.
The following users liked this post:
MoreDoorNoGo (10-15-2023)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Can't speak for the manual box, but as well as the optishift Jake's sold me works I'm 10,000% glad I didnt get the manual controller. The electric box is worth every cent.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jakes manualizer box works awesome and is very drivable i have used a couple and so have friends just supply 12 Volts and your good to go. I have converter lock up on a switch for cruising and transbrake on the shifter and all they need is a good ground to active them there great
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a ton for the replies, guys!!

Jakes- I also really appreciate the advice that you give on these forums!! If it weren't for you guys and the FEW others that spill the voodoo behind these transmissions, we would all still be in the dark and spending ridiculous amounts of money to do our own research/testing. Im definitely a believer in the fact that you know your stuff and be looking for an order for a manual controller. I will also be purchasing my full auto controller from you guys once the time is right. Thanks again for your continued support for the sport!
The following users liked this post:
MoreDoorNoGo (10-15-2023)
Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone else running one?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 85mcss
Please reply if you ARE using one or HAVE used one. Seems there are a lot of people out there talking about using one but no actual reviews.

My qestions are:
Would it be too firm to use for around town driving?
Is the pressure modulated enough to keep from always chirping the tires on the 1-2 & 2-3 shift when pulling away from an intersection?

Just seeing if it will be a feasible alternative to a full controller for the time being until I get it on the dyno and ironed out.
I have one, it works fine, assuming you have anything other than a stock converter the shift won't be particularly harsh.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
LS6
TECH Regular

Is the box still avilabe
Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Time to bring this back... Are guys still running these?
Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

We sell about 300 of these a year. There should be plenty of feedback for them. They are a relatively simple product and do what they describe.
I get quite a few calls asking exactly how the transmission works when these are used.
It effectively makes the automatic transmission work exactly like a stick as far as shifting, but with the converter preventing the need for a clutch.
Whatever gear you select, is the gear it will be in.

Shift firmness has more to do with the transmission setup and converter. It does make the transmission default to full line pressure but shifts can be tamed during the build process.

It is also an excellent way to diagnose transmission issues. It can isolate the transmission from the vehicle wiring and controller.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

iam about to order one for my 2003 80e goin in my lsx turbo 96 impala ss. ill let everyone know how it works. guy I spoke to on the phone at jakes explained it well to me. how are you guys hooking up the lock up? ground to a switch then back to a ground? just have to break the ground in order to unlock it?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I am also interested in this option.
So instead of going mvb you use this to do basically the same thing?

Quick Reply: Jakes 4L80E Manual controller box user reviews?