Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCS TCM 2000 won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default PCS TCM 2000 won't shift

Just installed my TCM-2000 into my car. It's a 79 Caprice with a carb'd 6.0L and early 4L60E from a 94 Caprice. Trans is a fresh trans with a Yank SS3600 converter.

I went through the basic cal setup for a 4L60E.

TPS signal, RPM signal and VSS are all working, as is the trans fluid temp.

On the monitor, the PRNDL indicator shows D1 regardless of where the shifter is, and I am not getting it to shift at all. The trans is stuck in 1st gear. FWIW, before I had the TCM hooked up, the trans worked in default 3rd gear, and would shift to 2nd if I pulled it down to manual second.

I thought I might have a communication issue, but I do not have and trouble codes, history or current, so I assume that the TCM has run circuit tests to all the trans solenoids and they check out.

I went into manual mode to see if I could command the shifts manually, and it does not shift that way either.

Do I need an external PRNDL switch setup to determine gear state? I thought it did through the internal circuitry?

I'm at a loss for what else to try here.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Still nothing. Talked to PCS, the DTC page I was looking at is for manually set Analog inputs, not digital inputs. So, I started to see if I had some bad wiring in the TCM harness.

While trying to diagnose what's going on, something in the trans started to buzz when the TCM is powered up. I dropped the pan and pinpointed the pressure control solenoid is buzzing A LOT. In my last 15 years messing with 4L60E equipped vehicles, I have NEVER heard the PCS like this.

The TCM harness pins out ok all powers and grounds, and all wires check out from the TCM connector to the trans connector.

I powered the TCM back up and removed and installed the trans connector to the trans a few times. 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids click on and off with connection, and the pressure control solenoid buzzes within a second of connecting power.

I am about to change out the PCS and the manual valve position switch (aka TFT/TFP switch).

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 AM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need a Prndl switch, it is a setting that is in correct send me your cal file that you are using and I will see if I can help.

Originally Posted by beertestr
Still nothing. Talked to PCS, the DTC page I was looking at is for manually set Analog inputs, not digital inputs. So, I started to see if I had some bad wiring in the TCM harness.

While trying to diagnose what's going on, something in the trans started to buzz when the TCM is powered up. I dropped the pan and pinpointed the pressure control solenoid is buzzing A LOT. In my last 15 years messing with 4L60E equipped vehicles, I have NEVER heard the PCS like this.

The TCM harness pins out ok all powers and grounds, and all wires check out from the TCM connector to the trans connector.

I powered the TCM back up and removed and installed the trans connector to the trans a few times. 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids click on and off with connection, and the pressure control solenoid buzzes within a second of connecting power.

I am about to change out the PCS and the manual valve position switch (aka TFT/TFP switch).

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zgp
You dont need a Prndl switch, it is a setting that is in correct send me your cal file that you are using and I will see if I can help.
PM sent, I was going to send you an email through the forum, but it doesn't have a function for attachments.

Thanks, it has to be something simple I am overlooking, the joys of the learning curve.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Swapped in a new PCS and a known good TFP sensor on Sat since I had the pan off. No change.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on this issue? I have a Auto conversion ZO6 that I used a PCS TCM 2000.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NEMESISVETTE
Any update on this issue? I have a Auto conversion ZO6 that I used a PCS TCM 2000.
I was finally able to get a hold of PCS yesterday, we went through a few items, and they decided to resend the base software again. About 15 mins later I got a base 4L60E cal in my email. Loaded it, configured it for my car (TPS voltage, VSS cal etc), and programmed the TCU.

BAM.. running. PRNDL state works on the monitor, everything seems happy. Apparently, the base cal and software in the controller was not for a 4L60E, and even if you start fresh with the new cal wizard and select a 4L60E, it's not enough. The TCM needs to be loaded with a base calibration to work right.

I put about 5-6 miles on the car and tweaked the shift map a bit to pull the shift points in. The loose converter really pushes the shifts out (higher TPS vs vehicle speed for even mild accel), so that will need to get tweaked, and I need to tap in a brake switch for the TCC.

Next up is to work out a driver issue with my USB-serial adapter (Keyspan) and my laptop. I keep getting blue screens with it hooked to the TCM, I can communicate with the TCM for a few mins before it crashes. I installed the latest Win7 drivers from Keyspan yesterday and it didn't help anything. I am going to pick up an IOgear USB-serial converter to see if it works any better.

Thanks to Zero Gravity for having a look at my cal. I appreciate the second set of eyes.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 CorVette Z06 Conversion to Auto TCM2000

Originally Posted by NEMESISVETTE
Hi hi I saw that you were doing a conversion on a corvette. Did you complete your install? I have a couple questions on wiring the inputs that I am hoping you can provide guidance on.

Respectfully,
Damian

Quick Reply: PCS TCM 2000 won't shift