Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i got my areoforce scanner gauge. it goes on as soon as i plug it in and goes off when i turn off the car but wont go back on again unless i unplug it and then plug it back in. guess i need to hardwire it. wonder if i tap into the cigarette lighter since its so close how that will work.... is that switched power or is that always active even when the car is off? dont want to drain my battery
Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

some one can correct me if im worng but all you need is any 12 volt source and it should work fine.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rather than starting a new thread about this subject I figure I would just bring back a relatively recent thread.

I am getting a torque converter in a couple months and I'd like to get a trans temp gauge at the same time. I will be having a shop install it and tune the car but I don't know what I would need to hook up the gauge. I know I'll need the gauge itself and a gauge pod or something to hold the gauge. I know you can weld a bung onto the trans pan (it will be a stock pan), are there any alternatives? I planned on getting some Auto Meter gauge around $60 but idk which one since they have so many. Also heard about this Aeroforce Interceptor that is a trans temp gauge and a bunch of other stuff for more money and hooks into the OBD2 apparently?

What kind of setup do you guys specifically run?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the ScanGauge II. Reads the tranny temp and much more. They are about 170 new. There are way too many functions to list. You can check it out here. http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

That thing looks pretty cool. Can you post a pic of how you mounted it?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

I have the aeroforce interceptor and love it, one of the best things Iv bought for my car. I have mine mounted in the vent next to the a pillar. This gauge will read higher tranny temps because it reads from the stock location in the transmission vs. an aftermarket gauge that's in the pan.

I have an flt lvl3 Trans with a yank ss3600 and a big tube and fin cooler and I typically see 180 degrees max in traffic on a 90 degree day and that's reading from my gauge.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I like that the ScanGauge II is less expensive but the Aeroforce seems like it has more to it and it is round so it mounts better. Any idea how much higher the temps are on the aeroforce than actual in the trans pan temps? Like 10 degrees maybe?

Whenever I upgrade my trans I'll do an FLT lvl 3 or 4 but I hopefully won't have to do that for a while. I'm thinking about a 30k GVW cooler from Hayden, plate style, since those are more efficient than tube and fin.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Yeah I like that the ScanGauge II is less expensive but the Aeroforce seems like it has more to it and it is round so it mounts better. Any idea how much higher the temps are on the aeroforce than actual in the trans pan temps? Like 10 degrees maybe?

Whenever I upgrade my trans I'll do an FLT lvl 3 or 4 but I hopefully won't have to do that for a while. I'm thinking about a 30k GVW cooler from Hayden, plate style, since those are more efficient than tube and fin.

roughly 10 degrees is what I was told. just for reference my flt lvl3 is a nice piece, the car its in is my dd.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I do H/C a 3 would probably be good, but if I spray I'd probably need the 4 lol but I'll worry about that when I'm closer to upgrading the transmission. I'd like to figure out exactly how much the converter is going to cost total, so I'm trying to gauge the extras (i.e. flexplate and temp gauge. If there is enough cable I may just put the gauge in the cup holder to save some money on a pod even. But the Aeroforce is a lot more money than I planned on spending...although it's like 50 gauges in 1
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

i just got done installing the aeroforce gauge. at the same time i did the tps auto off mod and put the switch in a hidden area to the right of the gas pedal since ill rarely be using it now and i mounted the gauge where the tcs switch was. i ordered one of those mounting plates from the 6le website. it works awesome and it matches all the other red gauges on the dash. so far ive seen as high as 203º when i was beating on it a little bit and its been above 90º outside every day. usually it goes up to around 190º though with normal driving. 3600 yank stock gears.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

That's about the highest I saw mine when I was beating the **** out of it then sitting in traffic. I rarely see 190 anymore after I put a new cooler on the car.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

so its that too high?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
If I do H/C a 3 would probably be good, but if I spray I'd probably need the 4 lol but I'll worry about that when I'm closer to upgrading the transmission. I'd like to figure out exactly how much the converter is going to cost total, so I'm trying to gauge the extras (i.e. flexplate and temp gauge. If there is enough cable I may just put the gauge in the cup holder to save some money on a pod even. But the Aeroforce is a lot more money than I planned on spending...although it's like 50 gauges in 1
Great discussion here. I just bought a aeroforce gauge and waiting to receive it. I will be mounting mine in one of the ac vents using a fernco coupler. You should look into doing that. Much cheaper than a pillar pod.

Plus, every time you open a cold one, you will get annoyed not having a good cup holder to put it.. LOL
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
That's about the highest I saw mine when I was beating the **** out of it then sitting in traffic. I rarely see 190 anymore after I put a new cooler on the car.
I have wondered about the trans temp accuracy through the OBDII.

You said temps got cooler when you changed trans coolers, so what did you have before and what you using now?

Also, I am on the fence about using the stock cooler in conjuction with the external one. Only because I drive mine in the cold..
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YoungGun496
I have wondered about the trans temp accuracy through the OBDII.

You said temps got cooler when you changed trans coolers, so what did you have before and what you using now?

Also, I am on the fence about using the stock cooler in conjuction with the external one. Only because I drive mine in the cold..
i guess trans temp readings through the obd is about 10 degrees higher than an aftermarket gauge reading tapped into the pan.

i had a B&M 70264 plate style cooler ran with the stock cooler at first then by iteslf. i didnt like where it was on the can and found a better/bigger cooler for my setup heres the tube and fin type cooler i have now...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-3820/

I decided to bypass my stock one and i live in CT. when the weather gets cooler maybe ill run both again but probably not. just let it warm up a little bit before driving in the cold.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

So Mark can you post a detailed breakdown of the trans temps for different setups?

Like the 70264 w/ stock cooler in various conditions, 70264 by itself in those conditions, new Flex-A-Lite in those conditions?

Main reason I am asking is because while the tube and fin flex-a-lite is bigger, it's a more inefficient design and it has a lower GVW rating than the 70264 does.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

no problem... with the stock/b&m in traffic id see 190-205 tops and cruising on the highway id see 180 on a 85-90 degree day. Just the b&m it got up to 190 in traffic and went down to 175ish cruising highway. And the new flex-a-lite i see 175-180 in traffic and cruising on the highway fully warmed up itll drop to 160 roughly.

I had both cooler in the same location on the condenser so there is good air flow. i had my b&m up a little higher than were the new one sits due to the tubing came in from the bottom vs. on the side. i also factor the size difference in the 2. the tube/fin is probably double the size of the b&m.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good thanks. I looked at the specs of the that flex-a-lite and it looks huge! Almost too big to fit lol. Did you take a pic of it mounted up or can you get one if it isn't too much trouble sometime soon? I don't think my car would be any different so if it fits yours it should fit mine. I don't have any ram air that would take up space.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yea that's no problem. I have to work on the car tomorrow so I'll get some pics for you. Honestly the fit is fine and there was no problems putting it in. All I did was put the little rubber pads between it and the condenser and zip tied it down then rerouted the transmission lines.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I assume the "little rubber pads" will come with the cooler? lol

Thanks man I appreciate it!

As far as the gauge goes, I was looking at my budget and I believe I may actually just go with an autometer gauge rather than the interceptor to save some money up front even though the interceptor does so much. I may get a 2 gauge pod though so that I can get one later when I have more on the car I want to keep track of.

Quick Reply: trans temp gauge