Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performa built fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would go to a local shop for a rebuilt anything but two doors down from me is a shop that specializes in Rebuilding Turbo 400's. The problem is that they cost over $30,000.00 a piece and they fly out of the shop! I can't believe how many they sell but they do! I just don't have that kind of cash is the problem, lol!

Joe

PS. That price is NOT a mis-print or typo by the way!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

30k ... Really!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

I agree that frank did everything very reasonably
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

as far as finding a local shop to build!!! dude im n the middle of knowwhere there is no shops with in 200 miles that will touch a 4l60e and stand behind them and i will not do a 400 swap ... an yes i no sht breaks but the second one should have been at the top of his list to be sent out being it lasted 2min not somthng i did
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This $100 mechanic probably didn't put enough fluid in it.

Hey BTW, did Frank recommend RP?

frank told me to use any good quality fuild but i have been aroun rp alot and is all i use. i should have picked a cheaper break in fluid wil next time
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

i thought you shouldnt put synthetic fluid in theses transmissions except for dex 6....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mjs1012
i thought you shouldnt put synthetic fluid in theses transmissions except for dex 6....
idk i asked him twice he said if i wanted but he wasnt telling me to buy expensive fluid
Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been running a Performabuilt 4l60e for about 3 years now with no issues except for in a tune that I had to have fixed by a different tuner. As stated stuff happens plain and simple
Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Yea stuff breaks but Iv read about more people having problems with performabuilt units than any sponsor. I'm sure there are people on here who have used performabuilt then had issues and went with another companies and are fine.
That would be me! I had a BAD vibration in only 3rd gear from the second it was installed. I was also losing power big time. Went from 350/352 with a stock longblock + 224R, to 348rwhp with AFR 205s, 224/228. The vibe just kept getting worse and worse, until I swapped it out for an FLT Level 3/SS3600.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^Curious, what were the specs of your vibe? Speed based? Rpm based? From a certain speed to another speed?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Staging Lane

I've had my performabuilt level 2 for over 4years 25000+ miles and it's still going strong. Street race the car every weekend.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^Curious, what were the specs of your vibe? Speed based? Rpm based? From a certain speed to another speed?
It was gear dependant. As soon as it shifted to 3rd, it started. As soon as it shifted to 4th it was gone. There may have been some slight vibes in other gears, but didn't really notice. The more I drove it, and especially after a dyno tune with a new engine, it felt like the driveshaft was way off balance, and going to come out of the car.

I swapped to an SS3600, and FLT Level 3, and with NO other changes (even with poly engine/trans mounts), the vibes are 95% gone.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Trans fluid is hydraulic fluid. The RP stuff isnt any better performing then $2 walmart stuff. It all operates the same, as long as you don't let it get to stupid temperatures and change it every 30k. Cheap dex3 for the win.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
It was gear dependant. As soon as it shifted to 3rd, it started. As soon as it shifted to 4th it was gone. There may have been some slight vibes in other gears, but didn't really notice. The more I drove it, and especially after a dyno tune with a new engine, it felt like the driveshaft was way off balance, and going to come out of the car.

I swapped to an SS3600, and FLT Level 3, and with NO other changes (even with poly engine/trans mounts), the vibes are 95% gone.

You swapped trans and converter.
And you didn't take the trans apart to diagnose the issue? Right?
And you still have some vibration?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Im wondering if the the trans was actually full of fluid? The only reason I ask is because when I did my converter swap, It looked full on first inspection until I shifted it thru the gears... then it dropped a quart and I had to repeat this 3 times until it was finally full. These trannies are extremely sensitive to correct fluid levels...a half quart low = boom!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
You swapped trans and converter.
And you didn't take the trans apart to diagnose the issue? Right?
And you still have some vibration?
I know nothing about the trans internals, so Im not the best person to tear down and diag the trans. It was out of warranty (had the 1 year) and I had only put about 6k miles on it in that time. I do have a very very light vibe. Its just enough to notice really.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

As far as being full of fluid yes I'm 100% sure..well the 2nd Trans is n a working .. all I can say sofar is I'm not impressed I am going to put 100 miles on it and give my. Review
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

wow i have to say first off you guys that have had good luck with performabuilt, god i wish i was you! you guys must have got them on a day they wernt smoking crack.
I hate bashing companys or people who seam to follow a certin topic and bash the person but performabuilt deserves it in my book, i blind man could build a better transmission hell i know nothing about rebuilding one and i could do better.
ok so today after 30 mins of car running in shop and switching gears and checking fliud i turned the boost on car to only 2 psi in hopes to be easy on the new transmission took it for a cruise around my little town for 10 mins then came back and checked fluid again. All was good so i loaded up the family to go out to eat dinner in a town about 45 miles away NEVER going over full throttle in the car. the car shiffted fine firm good shifts. felt like car was down on power but didnt think so much being i turned boost down and never got on it. get out after eating and go for a cruise for about 2hrs nice drive tops off and cruise.
i started to leave from a stop light when i felt i viberation and grinding noise i instantly threw car into N noise stoped car rolled smooth, as soon as put back into gear it getts worse, luckly i have a good friend in town (two blocks away from where it happend) so i made it to his house parked the car and grabbed his truck and headed home. i plan on going back in the moring and try to access the damage and prolly once again pull the trans!!!!!
so i hate to say to any one looking for a company to build u a 4l60e or someone debating like i was to go with a 60 or 80 or th400 stay away from performabuilt!!!! so now i get to see how bad frank is going to do me again i really doubt i let him send me another unless he makes a hell of a deal and im sure thats not going to happen so rpm or ftl here i come. So far all i got was a run around stole my money and sent me 2 junk trans the a v6 bird would over power. total i am about 5k in the hole and still have a broken car

Last edited by BoostedBird; 08-05-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
I agree that frank did everything very reasonably
yeah how so sent me 2 junk trans and took FOREVER sending them to me
Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default my .02 cents worth....

I purchased a 4l60E Level 3 from Frank 3 summers ago, ran literally 100s of runs on 750 HP set-up (with 250 shot N20) with no issues until recently when I experienced a fatal input drum failure. I phoned Frank and asked if he could re-build the tranny same day if I drove it to him as I live in Canada. He said he would build by next day if I drove it to him which I thought was pretty decent. I do like that he still has his $9XX guaranteed re-build fee which takes the guesswork out of the repair. I ended up shipping to him and upgraded to the Smart Drum at the same time - got it back within 7 days of his receiving it and it works great! I've come to learn that no matter what someone will tell you (FLT or otherwise) when you race at high HP levels things are going to break or wear out eventually! I found Frank to be a stand-up guy and someone always answers the phone too! The only thing I would add is that while we understand that parts can fail, even on a new tranny, I'm not sure that just replacing it is enough. If the break is truly found to be defective part I think it would be better business to give some kind of re-bate or credit for the inconvenience...just my .02 cents worth!

Quick Reply: performa built fail