Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performa built fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I would add is that while we understand that parts can fail, even on a new tranny, I'm not sure that just replacing it is enough. If the break is truly found to be defective part I think it would be better business to give some kind of re-bate or credit for the inconvenience...just my .02 cents worth![/QUOTE]

i couldnt agree more when its the builders fault and not the driver. if maybe he did that they would take more time on there transmissions to make sure they r right the first time!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Right on the money with that last part. That's the main reason I went with FLT, they were able to put my trans on their tranny dyno along with my new converter I had shipped to them they were able to test it all out and make sure everything was in working order before it was sent to me.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure performabuilt tests theirs on a tranny dyno also but things happen in shipping I am sure and lets not forget installation error too. I am sure some people have done things to their trannies during install. I am not sure about the converter but I am sure they would do it if you asked them.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

that sucks. sorry to read this. it seems they tried to make things right but two bad transmissions in unacceptable.

i know who not to use next time i need a trans.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

We don’t even know what happened to the first trans yet and we are being trashed over the second and being trashed because we didn’t get it built and out a day or two earlier and yet "supposedly" we should have taken more time to check and test?

First we do test every unit on the Dyno I can’t speak for what’s wrong with either unit because we have not seen either unit yet. When we do I’ll have a bit more to say, this is the reason normally we won’t send another unit out without seeing the first. In this case we did even without requiring a full deposit and accepted a ½ amount instead to try and help out and pushed everything to the side to get one out as rapidly as possible as he explained he had a unique situation.

On a few occasions when we have done this we have gotten the unit back only to find installation error for instance the other week we got one back the guy was complaining of a grinding noise in fact, We had sent him another unit to replace it along with converter, What did we find a trans full of converter clutch material and deep dimples down in the converter bolt holes into the converter face (not saying that happened here as it not possible with this style converter) which in fact destroyed the converter clutch and ultimately the trans. We took video of it as we took it out of box and disassembled it all and we sent to customer. He had it seems replaced the converter bolts with some aftermarket longer ones; Bet you can’t guess who won’t return our calls or emails now? So in that case we are out a trans , converter and shipping .
So yes installation error or car related is possible we just don’t know at this point. Not saying it is or implying such.

I am sorry this gentleman has had an issue but it seems quiet odd I mean I suppose bad luck is possible but we are very simply going have to see both units and then make determination , Sending another unit out is at this point not an option till we see what’s going on here.

To the OP please email me your name and address as soon as first unit is boxed and ready so I can have it picked up so we can work on resolution to this issue.

On this noise please carefully check the converter bolt for back of engine contact and flexplate before removal if nothing external found please remove and prepare this one also to be picked up and we will go from there,

We take great effort in taking care of our customers and making things right when something goes wrong which the can and do for any builder period. We to have replaced other vendors units from time to time when they had unresolved issues but we have and only do this on the condition they don’t bring us into any mudslinging because we don’t play that game and consider it unprofessional and inappropriate, I have many times talked on the phone and emails with people and helped them resolve issues with transmissions that were not even ours nor had they ever bought anything from us and to date never once trashed another company and will never. Sometimes things just happen for whatever reason. We have literally 1000s of happy customers out there and relatively few people we have been unable to make happy over the years though we have always gone to great effort and expense to make things right when they go wrong.

I can’t do anymore to address this until we actually have the units and see what’s happening here. The first unit my record shows the customer said shifted great then went a ways and stopped moving. Now a completely separate unit works and shift great and then suddenly starts making a grinding noise after a short time. So I have no idea till we actually see both units to see what is going on.

I’m not blaming anyone I’m not saying or suggesting installation error I’m not saying or suggesting anything except I don’t know, Could be a whole host of possibilities yet unknown so for now we are all blind at what we are dealing with as I said could be anything even just bad luck so anything I or anyone else says is just speculation. I know we shipped several other units during the same weeks both of these were built and shipped and they are doing just fine so who knows at this point but we will find resolution.

Frank @ Performabuilt

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 08-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Back peadle all you want but the #s one the Trans don't lie in 2-3 weeks u only put out 13 transmissions so say what ever u have more bad stories then good and being both transmission have different problems its pointing to the builder isn't it? But never the less I'm done with ur company
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoostedBird
Back peadle all you want but the #s one the Trans don't lie in 2-3 weeks u only put out 13 transmissions so say what ever u have more bad stories then good and being both transmission have different problems its pointing to the builder isn't it? But never the less I'm done with ur company
I can't even read this, I swear grammar and spelling in this country is getting worse every day and we need to put a stop to it. I am sick of posts on this site and many others that I can't even read. Go to school people!!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

After reading this thread, it sounds like Frank is doing everything he can to fix the situation.

Maybe when he gets both transmissions back, he might be able to resolve the problem.

I doubt that if Performabuilt constantly sent out bad transmissions that they would be in business very much longer.

BoostedBird, how much experience do you have installing transmissions and working on cars in general?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sepsis
After reading this thread, it sounds like Frank is doing everything he can to fix the situation.

Maybe when he gets both transmissions back, he might be able to resolve the problem.

I doubt that if Performabuilt constantly sent out bad transmissions that they would be in business very much longer.

BoostedBird, how much experience do you have installing transmissions and working on cars in general?

This...

****, just minutes after installing my stage 2 performabuilt, i beat the **** out of it bad. I mean bad.. It too the abuse no problems at all.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I can't even read this, I swear grammar and spelling in this country is getting worse every day and we need to put a stop to it. I am sick of posts on this site and many others that I can't even read. Go to school people!!

I was thinking the same exact thing.

I mean, if you aren't capable of putting together a grammatically correct sentence with proper spelling, how can people take you seriously with anything?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

My spelling an grammar is all done on my LG and idk it changes stuff by itself but don't take me seriously idk. I have lots of experience working on cars I built the car and have installed lots of transmission and the Guy who came to help me that's all he does is f body builds.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sepsis
I was thinking the same exact thing.

I mean, if you aren't capable of putting together a grammatically correct sentence with proper spelling, how can people take you seriously with anything?
Especially when the forum has a spell checker built in, if a word is underlined in red there is a good chance it is spelled wrong.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Hmm that's funny mine doesn't have spell checker
Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

another $150 down the drain
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sorry but I doubt they would be a sponsor on here if they weren't a good company. And from seeing the customer service provided so far. They have tried to make things right. The way you have flamed Frank I wouldn't give you the time of day until I tear the first one down from here on out to see the problem. I can't wait to hear the results from why the 2 have failed.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

lol i didnt flame him untill the second one came up to b junk! i said the whole time he had time to make it right in my book i just was telling my story to others n my shoes trying to figure which trans they should go with 4l60, 80 , or th400 and what to suspect. if this transmission he just sent would have worked i would have praised frank and his company.

Like i said before i loved the fact when you called he awnserd no matter what day, Mostly sundays in my case, so in that case his service is second to none! and he was very sorry about the first trans.

You guys are really not getting the point of what i am doing its not a bash Frank or performabuilt and make his company go under. Its me telling my story of not 1 but 2 transmissions not working and both having a diffrent problem. Yes i am mad i have lost lots of money on this deal and i feal i got the shaft, if you dont think so then by all means next time you need a trans built pick frank! hell with me as mad as i was on the phone he kept his cool very well. And when i read all of the horror stories from performa i made my own mind to go with him because yes there is a few GREAT REVIEWS! and in most cases it did seam he was trying to make things right.

And far as the comment giving me the time of day to look at my trans thats just stupid for one because the reason i picked him was the warrantey so i paid for it and two i dont care what he does with either transmissions i dont want another i just want my money back cost of trans and deposit of other and i will eat the rest of the loss. i think a 4l80e would suit me better or sell the car and build a m6 car?

Last edited by BoostedBird; 08-05-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

All your sponsors huh? LOL. Who is sponsoring a slow LT1 rear mount turbo car exactly?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
All your sponsors huh? LOL. Who is sponsoring a slow LT1 rear mount turbo car exactly?
We all were thinking it and you sir had the ***** to post it, props to you!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
We all were thinking it and you sir had the ***** to post it, props to you!!
well thats funny right there because your car on 14ps1 is not much faster then mine on 6psi so if thats how u wanna be thats fine i have a ls1 car too and my lt1 is not a drag only car i do alot of car shows, more than racing its a very nice street car. so talk crap on lt1 i dont really care it funny how off topic u are getting but ok
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
and it says ur in the 12 second club? congrats your moma must be proud my slow lt1 is a second faster but wait i never in anything have claimed it to be faster than anyone

Quick Reply: performa built fail