Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performa built fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performa built fail

first off before i start i am not bashing anyone just telling my story they still have a chance to prove them self in my books!

so my 97 TA blew its "built" transmission so i did alot of reading took good with the bad and decided to go with performabuilt even tho my inbox got full of hate mail when i said i was.

so i called him on a sunday night and he told me all about there transmissions and convertors, so i agreed to call him back in the moring and order one after he told me it would take 3-4 days to build and 3-4 to ship so $2500 later i was the proud owner so i thought 11 days later i still hadent recived my transmission keep in mind the mane reason i pick his was how fast i would have a tranny because i go to all local car shows and compeate with this car, i call him and ask if it had bn shiped yet he informed me he told me it would take 10-14 days which he didnt say but so what whats one car show on the 14th day it arrives man i was like a fat kid on cake! looked great!

My shop is n the steps of being built so i pay a friend that is really experianced in these transmissions $100 bucks to come pull it in my shity car port takes 8hrs to get old one out and new back in because of the remote mount turbo and lack of a lift. get new one in set and let it warm up go through all the gears before leaving the car port pull out start going man it shifted great never taking it above 1/4 throttle no boost all the gears went great go about a 1 1/2 miles turn around shifted 1 to 2 great 2 to 3 nothing!!!!!! acted like i put it in N wouldnt move in any gears!

Had to be towed home by tow truck.. call him he tells me to check a few things all checked out then he tells me to call him in the morning he is at the lake. ok thats fair enough so i call him he tells me to pull it out and send it back they would take a look build a new one and send it. well i had it no way thats bs its not my fault its broke i cant miss any more shows or races or sponsors will b ticked off. so he says with a $1200 deposit we will ship one out now then when you get it pull the old one send it back and we will credit your 1200. ok i felt he was trying to make it right this was on a tuesday he said a new one should be shipped out friday and have it tuesday ok so well my transmission wasnt shipped tell the tuesday i should have got it! so i get it this wednesday wtf
so now for over a month i have a broken car pissed off sponsors and out alot of money because i got waled all over total loss so far

$2400 trans and convertor
$100 for help on a sunday
$135 Royal Purple \
$120 tow home after performa blew
$1200 (refundable if i get trans back to them) which took way to long to get
$50 for help this weekend and beer
$65 cheap trans fluid not risking it again

i will keep posted how this trans works. i just feel at this time i have been treated like crap i understand its mechinacial and mistakes happen but they should have tryed harder to make it right

Last edited by BoostedBird; 07-26-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: change punctuation
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not even going to attempt to read that. Add paragraphs and punctuation.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

my bad hope its a little better after all i am from kansas and not a english teacher lol
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mines still going good its their LVL2. Every performance transmission place will have their duds every once in a while. Just hope you have a good expeirnce with them as i have.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

i really hope so too its just not looking that way
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not taking sides, but if you wanted it done quicker, deal with someone who is local. That has been the case for my car; if something is screwed up that was rebuilt locally, it takes virtually no time to fix/replace the part. He was probably doing his best to get another transmission out to you asap, but when dealing with parts rebuilt, it will always take time.

I know it is the summer and this is the time to take the car out to cruise nights, etc, but you are dealing with an older car that needs repairs that will take longer than usual. Ask members on this board how long their car was down due to parts not fitting, rebuilt parts breaking, etc and you will see you are not the only one frustrated.

Good luck, hope everything is sorted out.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why isn't the 2nd trans in the car to see how well it works?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thedudeZ
Why isn't the 2nd trans in the car to see how well it works?
well because i just got it and i work 13hr days n the heat and dont have time untill weekends to work on any thing. trust me if i could i would i miss my car
Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

lotsa luck!!!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I will say I sorry there was and issue we actuallydid all possible to get it on the way we do not have them setting there ready to go they each have to be built then tested then dynoed then packaged then shipped . Some times in a shop everything to does not timeout like planned and it cannot be avoided no matter how hard you may try.
As for build times on orders while I do occasionally tell people wewill try and get it faster I always say the samething 7-10 business days just as it says in my signature and has for over a year since last time i changed it, till it ships ussually its actually faster.I have never said 10 to 14 days to anyone ?
But as I said sorry for the issues and the delay I think anyone who owns or has operated a shop understands that sometimes things happen that make what you think you can do just not possible.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 07-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

i under stand about the time and issues with running a shop but when you send a $2400 unit out the door thats is not in working order ( not bashing i understand stuff happens to ALL shops) and the guy offers to pay a hefty deposit to get another one comming i would of thought more would have been done to fix the mistake that was made expecially being my car is seen all over this state racing and being showed. and granted if this one works as welll as i think it should i will be telling everyone the good
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont get your hopes up on the new one.

Sometimes its better to have waited just that extra week or so that other companies take to get one that will work. I cant believe there still having the same issues with transmissions for like the last 3 yrs or so.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Everything possible was done within human power than assure you and you did say it felt and shifted find then something happened so we should wait to see what happened before we say we sent a defective trans out parts can and do "just break" even brand new this I learned with over 25 years running and working in my own shop.
We did indeed do everything possible to rectify the sitatution only human. I will however post what we find wrong when we get the other one back.
Bear in mind we went way outside protocol on this I accepted that it just broke no questions, Agreed to replace the unit (deposit was nessesary as yes we have been gotten a couple times nothing more fun than having someone call you about a trans they bought from that was supposed to be yours and is except its still in the box never opened and was supposed to have been bad and you replaced it and never got one back) did not require shipping (which many do) and got one out as fast as we possible could. I think that says alot myself As I said sorry there was a probelmand that we could not rectify it any faster.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
Dont get your hopes up on the new one.

Sometimes its better to have waited just that extra week or so that other companies take to get one that will work. I cant believe there still having the same issues with transmissions for like the last 3 yrs or so.
We have to date 2700 plus units out there since 2006 its not a common probelm in any way but I am well why the few that had an issue like yourself which we went to great efforts and expense to correct after years still when ever anyone post a rare problem jumps right in there I dont get it myself but have a great evening.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Another performabuilt horror story.... That's the main reason I went with FLT. the fact that they test all their transmissions before shipping them out was a nice reassurance for me. I also placed my order with finish line and had to wait a month for mine to be built, not a few days...
Old 07-27-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This $100 mechanic probably didn't put enough fluid in it.

Hey BTW, did Frank recommend RP?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently run a Performabuilt TH400 in a car that has seen 1005 rwhp and have not had any problems with it. Frank is an upstanding dude and has been there any all hours of the day to answer any questions I had. All shops have one from time to time that doesn't work quite right. I know Frank will make it right for you.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Performabuilt Level2 used from a member, and shes been great so far

Last edited by mike171562; 08-06-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Holy over reaction. They seem to be taking all steps necessary to remedy the problem, like posted above if you wanted faster service you shouldve went to someone local.
Sometimes **** breaks. Part of the game
Old 08-01-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yea stuff breaks but Iv read about more people having problems with performabuilt units than any sponsor. I'm sure there are people on here who have used performabuilt then had issues and went with another companies and are fine.

Quick Reply: performa built fail