Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

performa built fail

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedBird
well thats funny right there because your car on 14ps1 is not much faster then mine on 6psi so if thats how u wanna be thats fine i have a ls1 car too and my lt1 is not a drag only car i do alot of car shows, more than racing its a very nice street car. so talk crap on lt1 i dont really care it funny how off topic u are getting but ok
Sorry man, not gonna get sucked into an interwebz battle about whose car is more badass. Good Luck with your transmission.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Sorry man, not gonna get sucked into an interwebz battle about whose car is more badass. Good Luck with your transmission.
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Me neither, its been a while since I updated my signature, its far from a 12 second A4 now. I just wanted to know who is sponsoring this guy, or what they are sponsoring him for? I mean, if I had sponsors paying me, I'd think the sponsors would at least want me to run a sticker on my car, or maybe have me mention the sponsors.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
Me neither, its been a while since I updated my signature, its far from a 12 second A4 now. I just wanted to know who is sponsoring this guy, or what they are sponsoring him for? I mean, if I had sponsors paying me, I'd think the sponsors would at least want me to run a sticker on my car, or maybe have me mention the sponsors.
well being its more a show car i do have a custom painted sign that sets by the car and trophies and list all the local shops and people who have donated there time
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Fair enough, as tording said, good luck with your transmission adventures.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

i got this from frank.....
Of note I looked into why it took so long to get the second unit ready the reasonwas simple enough just FYI we did not at that time have a suitable K case LT-1 core unit to build and had to get one these are getting more difficult to get now days unlike the LSX which is readily available just so you know,
Thanks
Frank

so i understand. and it was pretty cool of him . wish i woulda known that earlier might have cooled my temper dowm never the less
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

bummer man... thats why I prefer to keep my business local.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedBird
first off before i start i am not bashing anyone just telling my story they still have a chance to prove them self in my books!

so my 97 TA blew its "built" transmission
I have a PerformaBuilt LVL III in my 1998 Z28 hooked to a LS1 H/C engine with an ATI D1 SC. I have a Yank 3400 blower convertor. It puts an easy 565 rwhp to the wheels.

Although I haven't driven it hard and I haven't put a lot of miles on the LVL III it has gotten an extremely hard workout on the Mustang dyno during two different sessions due to a smaller pulley change. The pulley change required a new tune due to the boost increase from the smaller pulley.

The good news is that my LVL III has never missed a beat.

As for this thread:

What rarely ever gets addressed when installing a tranmission is to make sure that the tranmission cooler and covertor is flushed of all of the debris from the 'blown' tranmission or convertor. OP says he blew his tranmission.

So unless the entire system was purged of debris, IMO it could be something as simple as some debris in the 3-4 solenoid. For example - it would have been easy enough to turn the switch back on for the 3-4 shift if something was causing the car to go to limp mode. Or pull the pan and try a new solenoid - $20.

The other cause perhaps would have been to make sure the tune was set back to stock if it had modified tranmission settings - such as increasing line pressures for hard shifts.

That had been done to mine - by a local no-nothing tuner who faked a $1000 rebuilt only to find out all that was done was a shift kit and modifications to the PCM's transmission settings.

As a result I will never ever trust a local again when there are reputable shops like RPM, FLT, Performbuilt and others who actually know what they are doing and really do it.

All builders by now have a knowledgebase of fixes and modifications that can be installed in a 4le60 so it can handle a resonable amount of rwhp -600 or less. In fact there aren't many tricks/enhancements that aren't known by any reputable shop when modifying the 4le60 to handle increased rwhp.

But whether some local yokal knows what the enhancments are - who knows - if their only experience might be to install a shift kit.

Lastly - the fact that both transmissions from Performbuilt didn't work suggests that there is somthing amiss in the install. It will be interesting indeed to find out just exactly is wrong with both of the units when Frank gets them back.

Frank you should try to get both of those tranmissions back as soon as possible so you can shed some good light that the error is really - user error.

I not a betting man, but if I was I would bet on Performabuilt on this one.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Well bet all you want its not my first time installing a transmission and the fact the first transmission Went through all the gears once then not again and the second worked good the is making all kinds of racket at low speeds and a vibration says to me two completely different problems.

Secondly performabuilt sends a new cooler with the Trans and I bought there convertor, and the 4ft of line I flushed

And I am glad u got a good Trans! But never the less I didn't and since this thread has went up I have had over 20 email from different people saying they had bad luck and all went to another builder.

Just because I am from KS doesn't mean I can't install a transmission. Come on I have lots of other car 2 drag only mopars that have had mail order transmissions with no issue?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

And I'm sure someone will take this wrong!

But the only person who will know what happened to thos transmissions is Frank and his builders. Not at all saying he would but he could get on here and say they were fine! That's the problem with the internet!

And again I don't think he will. But I really don't care I'm sure he will try to figure it out. What happend to protect his business !

But I know I did nothing wrong and they didn't work its that simple
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

I have two performalbults one t400 and had a lv2 before that w no issues
Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Another performabuilt horror story.... That's the main reason I went with FLT. the fact that they test all their transmissions before shipping them out was a nice reassurance for me. I also placed my order with finish line and had to wait a month for mine to be built, not a few days...
You know you can do 1000 thing right and get one wrong and thats all everyone wants to talk about. I've been running a Stage 2 Performabuilt for years without any trouble.

Last edited by NC98Z; 08-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good reading here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...0e-issues.html

As far as the builder, 110% customer service from my experience. However, I had 2 of their LVL 2 units. 1 lost 3rd and 4th within 1k miles, the 2nd lost 3+4 within 6k miles.

The guys were super nice and took care of the 1st unit no problem, 2nd unit made it past warranty so I ended up tearing it down and making my own mods to the 3-4 pack. Still going to this day behind that motor.

Just my experience, as you can see a lot of guys have good luck with them, some don't.

My honest opinion, 400/80E and never look back. It's not that hard to swap out, and you will spend nearly the same amount. Those transmissions will take 1k HP with light mods all day and laugh at you.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
You know you can do 1000 thing right and get one wrong and thats all everyone wants to talk about. I've been running a Stage 2 Performabuilt for years without any trouble.
i agree with you but maybe its just me cuz i see more people saying negative things about their performabuilt units vs. other sponsors. sure every transmission company has had their share of faulty units but performabuilt seems to have more.

i wont knock the quality of performabuilt's units since iv never had one or know anyone personally who runs one, but it seems like frank is a good guy and makes everything right for his customers who might get faulty units and have issues. From what iv read on here as well as other forums is that Frank is a top notch guy in the customer service department. i just decided when i bought my transmission i did not want to buy one of theirs because i didnt want to take the chance of it having problems.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Unbelieveable patience and customer service by frank here, who will continue to get my business, subscribed for an update when frank gets the 2 trans apart.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I said we would update on what we found,
We received and inspected the unit the trans itself was perfect like new we tested it with our test converter and it worked perfectly (we did not yet have the converter sold with unit), However we then tested it with the converter we sent the customer today we found in fact it would not move. We are not sure whats wrong in it yet only that the converter is the source of the problem. We wont be able to cut it before tomorrow. I would guess a failed converter sprag as the splines are not stripped but as I said we will not know till we cut it.
Just wanted to update everyone as promised.
Frank @ PerformaBuilt
Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

I wounder if that's not what is wrong with the second
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Wont know that till we have it Im afraid but possible yes .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

I was actually fixing to bump the thread if it wasn't updated tonight. Thats a bummer on the failed part.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

at least its working towards a conclusion. slowly but surely.

Quick Reply: performa built fail