Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex plate for 4L80E and long nose crank.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flex plate for 4L80E and long nose crank.

So I did some searching on here and have never really been able to find the answer I needed. I have one of the early 99' long cranks, that DOES NOT have the removable spacer on the end. The ONLY flex plate that will work for me (pretty sure) is the flat, no dish flex plate. I have an OEM one like that (flat/no dish) right now and it works perfect.

However, I need an SFI or a heavy duty flexplate. I purchased a Hughes Performance flex plate part number HP4004X-EBP. It is listed as a 4L80E flex plate right on the package. However, it has the dish to it like the 4L60E plates have.

Does anyone have a Company and part number that they know for a FACT is the flat flex plate and is SFI approved or heavy duty? I purchased this one from Summit Racing, so if I can return it, and get one that is flat from them, that would be great.

Again, if I had the removable spacer on the end of my crank, none of this would be a problem... but I do not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

My TCI 4l80 flexplate is flat.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

Is it model #399754?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DietCoke
My TCI 4l80 flexplate is flat.
Do you happen to have a part number for it? The one I found that looks flat has a part number of TCI-399753. That is going off of a picture though, which doesn't always work out the best.

I've been searching for a while and found more info...

There's this thread. Shawn talks about a flat flex plate from ATI that will work, but gives no part number.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...4-w-th400.html

Then I found these...
JW performance flex plates. 564-93019-LSA is listed as flat and SFI rated. 564-93019-LS is also flat but is NOT SFI approved, but is substantially less money.

I believe Summit sells only the SFI rated version. They sell two with the 93019-LSA part number. One is JPT-93019-LSA. I believe this one is flat, because they sell one more with the part number of JPT-93019-LSA-D. That one is listed as DISHED, and I'm assuming the D at the end stands for dished.

I don't have any of them in my hand to confirm though.

I think I'm going to send mine back and order the JPT-93019-LSA and hope for the best.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very good question... The infamous long crank dilemma. I have purchased the 93019-LS from Jegs before and it does fit the longer crank. Basically it is made to go with the JW crank spacer, but in your case the spacer is built in. But I do not remember if it was SFI approved, I got it several years ago. It is very interesting part though, Jegs says not approved, Summit says it is. And JW website has no mention of the part number in their catalog. Let us know what you find out...

Chris
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Is it model #399754?
Yep. Thats it
Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

The TCI 399754 is the same as the 399753, just has a different bolt pattern for the 4L80. It will not fit the extended crank.

Chris
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Why wouldn't the 399753? Its also flat. Comes with a spacer instead of being offset. Couldn't you run it without the spacer
Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

The TCI LS flexplates have the spacing built into them. While they do look flat, they have welded spacers on the trans side and a bolt in plate on the engine side. You can measure it and it will be ~.575 from the crank surface to the converter pad surface.

Chris
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Very good question... The infamous long crank dilemma. I have purchased the 93019-LS from Jegs before and it does fit the longer crank. Basically it is made to go with the JW crank spacer, but in your case the spacer is built in. But I do not remember if it was SFI approved, I got it several years ago. It is very interesting part though, Jegs says not approved, Summit says it is. And JW website has no mention of the part number in their catalog. Let us know what you find out...

Chris

Well, I followed up with what you posted. I went ahead and ordered the 93019-LS from Jegs as well. Summit doesn't even offer that part number. However, even with Jegs it says in bold letters that it is not SFI approved. That being said, if someone is looking for the SFI rating, they should look for the 93019-LSA and not the 93019-LS. I don't need the SFI rating, but I do need a decently built flex plate to handle some good power. Most likely the same flex plate, but maybe you are just paying extra for the SFI sticker. I will post up how it works.

Thanks for the info Chris. It's much appreciated.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM
FormerVendor

I think the LSA version is for a LSA crank, and will have an 8 bolt crank. Not 100% sure because I have not seen one in person. And just to add some info, I think the LS9 version has a 9 bolt crank. Let us know if it works out...

Chris
Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so the JW Performance 93019-LS showed up today. It is flat just like the description says. Not sure if the holes line up with my converter yet or not,(I have a powerglide with a TH400 converter). It should since it lists TH400 as one of the hole patterns. Anyways... Even though it is listed as "NOT SFI APPROVED" It still came with a 29.2 SFI sticker that is blank. By blank I mean none of the dates have been punched out yet and the sticker is not stuck on the flex plate yet.

So even though I haven't installed it yet, I am very confident that this is the flex plate to solve the dilemma of "The long nose and SFI flex plate". That is of course if they send the SFI sticker with others like they did with mine.

EDIT: Also, it does have the six bolt holes for the crank...

EDIT #2: Upon further investigation, my 93019-LSC plate has a center hole diameter of 2.169" while OEM has a center hole diameter of 2.069". If you keep reading, TrikeMike got his to work some how.

Last edited by SATAN; 08-20-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: More info added.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM
FormerVendor

Excellent, thanks for the update. Very cool on the SFI sticker, somebody needs to let Jegs know to update their site.... That could be a deal breaker for some.

Chris
Old 04-02-2013, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Figured I'd add to this as I am in the same boat. My 754 TCI did not work. I just talked to JW and they told me that their 93019-ls IS infact sfi approved. The part number I was told that works was 93019-lsc but she told me thats the non sfi one and the -ls is the same dimensions only sfi approved. I ordered it and she said it would ship out today so if I have it by the weekend I will install it and follow up on this thread.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

OK so JW made this rather painful experience but its all OK now. The 93019-LS works fine. I talked to them on 04/02 and they told me they were shipping it out that day. Call back a week later and for some reason (none of which they mentioned) they didn't ship it yet. So they got it shipped out Tuesday a week later and I received it that Friday. But it came without an SFI sticker and the invoice said "AIRBOAT ONLY NO CERT". So I called and bitched and they assured me that every flexplate they make is SFI approved so they sent me an SFI sticker and an invoice saying my flexplate is SFI certified.

So long story short I have flexplate and its in car. It worked fine and car is running and driving with it. This is a 2000 year long crank LQ4 with a TH400 trans. My TCI standard SBC style Converter bolted right up I did not need to elongate holes either.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TrikeMike
OK so JW made this rather painful experience but its all OK now. The 93019-LS works fine. I talked to them on 04/02 and they told me they were shipping it out that day. Call back a week later and for some reason (none of which they mentioned) they didn't ship it yet. So they got it shipped out Tuesday a week later and I received it that Friday. But it came without an SFI sticker and the invoice said "AIRBOAT ONLY NO CERT". So I called and bitched and they assured me that every flexplate they make is SFI approved so they sent me an SFI sticker and an invoice saying my flexplate is SFI certified.

So long story short I have flexplate and its in car. It worked fine and car is running and driving with it. This is a 2000 year long crank LQ4 with a TH400 trans. My TCI standard SBC style Converter bolted right up I did not need to elongate holes either.

Ok, so yours works fine. Mine however, seems like it needs a hubcentric ring for the crank. It is too loose on the crank. My OEM one fits fine, but this one, I would have to rely on the bolts to center it, and since the bolts are not conical, I am definitely not doing that. OEM center hole diameter = 2.069" and the JW performance one = 2.169".

Also, I have both a 1999 Lq4 crank and an 07 Lq4 crank. Both fit the OEM flex plate just fine. Neither fit the JW performance 564-93019-LS flex plate.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so I have been trying to get this sorted out through JW performance. The box that my flex plate came in has two part numbers on it... 93019-LS AND 93019-LSC. Someone speculated that the C may stand for the SFI certification. I don't know...

What I do know is that my flex plate has too large of a hub diameter. This is the email I sent to JW performance after they said that I had the flex plate for the long nose crank and that my problem was I needed the right spacer... (Not my issue). Oh and I have a 1999 crank, a 2007 crank and a crank spacer. My OEM plate fits all three perfectly.

Hello Eric,

Now that I am home and I have time to actually read the emails, it appears that you and I are talking about two different things. My concern is not weather or not I need the spacer. I have the spacer for using the flexplate on the later 2007 engine. I also know I do not need the spacer on the earlier 1999 engine. That is not my issue. Both flex plates match. The dish is the same, placing the flexplate away from the block correctly. All the bolt holes are correct for both the crank and for the torque converter. The ONLY issue I have, is that the diameter of the hub is .100" too large causing the flexplate to not center correctly on the crank like the OEM. Again, everything about my OEM flexplate matches the 93019 flex plate, EXCEPT the hub diameter. Nothing in any descriptions I've seen mentions anything about any difference is hub/crank diameter.

Below is the email confirmation I got from Jegs when ordering. It also shows the part number I ordered, which is not what I received. Looking at the part number stamped into the flex plate, I have part number 93019-LSC and not 93019-LS. I don't know what the C means, but that is what I have. The problem is that you guys know way more than Jegs does. If I try to go through Jegs, who knows what I will end up with next. They seem to add more numbers and letters onto your part numbers, further complicating matters. This is why I am coming straight to the knowledgeable source, you guys. I'm going to attach some pictures of what I am talking about, so you can see the difference. That and a picture is worth 1000 words. Also, if you look at the pictures I attached, you can see there is a sticker on the box with the part number I ordered, and there is another sticker with the part number I received... both part numbers on the same box.

Sorry for such a long email, but I'm just trying to be as clear as I can.
If you need to call me, please feel free to do so. I'm sure it would be easier to explain things on the phone, rather than typing.

I don't know how much more clear and concise I can be. Even after proof reading it, everything I read makes sense to me.

Here are the pics I sent him. In the third pic, you can clearly see the difference in hub diameter, as I have the JW plate on top of the OEM plate. You can also see the box has both part numbers on it.

Last edited by SATAN; 08-20-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe their adapter acts as the locator? Or they are off .100 on their machining.
I'm a JW dealer, if Eric needs some help understanding it, I can call and talk to him about it. He's usually pretty sharp.

Quick Reply: Flex plate for 4L80E and long nose crank.