Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best brand of torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brand of torque converter?

When I bought my first one, Yank was highly recomended. Just wondering if anything has changed, or if one brand has really seperated itslef from the pack. Please let me know asap as I will be ondering one very soon
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yank, Vig, and TCI are all on about the same playing field performance wise, customer service some will argue that Yank is not the most pleasent to deal with. Fortunately I have had no problems with my Yank and I absolutely love it
Old 04-26-2004, 01:52 PM

Below is my opinion based on first hand experiences.

TCI- Great performance, price, and customer support.

Precision Industries (Vig) - Great performance, good price, and good customer support.

Yank - Great performance if you get a good one. The price is too high considering the performance/craftsmanship benefit if any and the total lack of customer support IMO.
I would not consider a Yank converter a good option.

John

Last edited by JNorris; 04-26-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy JNorris. Can tell your quite bitter bud. I'd still go with a Yank over the VIG.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

I am looking for a 3200 T/C and have recently decided to go TCI.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Boy JNorris. Can tell your quite bitter bud. I'd still go with a Yank over the VIG.

Perhaps I am but I prefer to call it brutally honest. The truth is the truth.

I do not go out and start posts that express my feelings towards Yank. However when asked I will post the facts. I am always honest with no exaggeration in my posts. The facts are what they are.

John
Old 04-26-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Boy JNorris. Can tell your quite bitter bud.
No kidding. But in his defense, he's not the first person I've seen take E-VER-Y SINGLE OPPORTUNITY to voice their displeasure with a company. Sometimes, companies **** off the wrong people.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"with no exaggeration in my posts."
"Yank - Great performance IF you get lucky and get a good one." (This sounds like an exaggeration to me.)

It almost sounds like you believe a high percentage of Yank converters are underperformers. If that's the case, I disagree. Yank's performance is undoubtedly outstanding (and overall pretty consistant from what I've seen) and has been for all of the years they've been building LS1 converters.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I remember his story I'd be kinda pissed myself. Yank has a good product, and I believe 90% (whatever ratio) of there converters come with out issue. It would suck to get one of the bad ones though. At least with TCI they seem interested in keeping business and making customers happy. Yank seems to have the almighty (You're lucky to own one of our converters attitude sometimes
Old 04-26-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had great luck with Yanks and I don't blame Yank for being cynical about warranty repairs.

Everyone knows that the 4L60e frequently doesn't hold up and yet when blows up and takes out a converter, most people blame the converter and want a free fix. People mess around with the tuning and don't run a line pressure guage so they don't know what is really going on. Again, it must be the converter and not their own fault for messing with the settings.

I've seen a couple cases of legitimate gripes about warranty service of Yank, but the majority of the bitching has been by people who are modding their cars and not taking responsibility for the risks of their actions. A number of these same compaliners have not sent their converters back to Yank because Yank will not promise warranty service until they inspect the converter. That's pretty common for most warranty work that the company wants to see the part before promising a free repair.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't a couple cases where I wish Yank stepped up and took care of someone, just that not every basher has shared both sides of the story.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

I have had great luck with Yank. I bought my first one used. I have had it redone a couple of times for a very fair price. Mike has always been fair with me and I love the converter. I have not delt with the others so I can't say how they are.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel
"with no exaggeration in my posts."
"Yank - Great performance IF you get lucky and get a good one." (This sounds like an exaggeration to me.)

It almost sounds like you believe a high percentage of Yank converters are underperformers. If that's the case, I disagree. Yank's performance is undoubtedly outstanding (and overall pretty consistant from what I've seen) and has been for all of the years they've been building LS1 converters.

After re-reading my post in question perhaps I could have phrased it a little differently. I made some changes.

John

Last edited by JNorris; 04-26-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

no midwest supporters here?

i like my 3200/3400 and will be track testing it soon.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well I had my Yank Y3200 for 3 years with zero problems. Mike always returned my calls and answered my questions. However a very strict budget wouldn't allow a new Yank, so I went with a TCI SSF 3800. I PM'd Kevin with some questions and he replied thoroughly and promptly. I also had a friend run a SSF 3500 who routinely pulled 1.60 60-fts with that converter in a super-heavy W6 vert while averaging over 100 miles a day driving to and from work. I'm happy my Yank gave me trouble free miles and performance and I'm confident TCI will do the same.

Jnorris - off-topic, but can you post the formula you used to calculate converter efficiency?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
I've had great luck with Yanks and I don't blame Yank for being cynical about warranty repairs.

Everyone knows that the 4L60e frequently doesn't hold up and yet when blows up and takes out a converter, most people blame the converter and want a free fix. People mess around with the tuning and don't run a line pressure guage so they don't know what is really going on. Again, it must be the converter and not their own fault for messing with the settings.

I've seen a couple cases of legitimate gripes about warranty service of Yank, but the majority of the bitching has been by people who are modding their cars and not taking responsibility for the risks of their actions. A number of these same compaliners have not sent their converters back to Yank because Yank will not promise warranty service until they inspect the converter. That's pretty common for most warranty work that the company wants to see the part before promising a free repair.

Again, I'm not saying there aren't a couple cases where I wish Yank stepped up and took care of someone, just that not every basher has shared both sides of the story.

I do not know if your commits were pointed at me or not. I do however feel the need to clarify my position.

I was looking for nothing free be it the $1200 transmission rebuild (which I never brought up until now) or the converter repair or the installation labor.

All I wanted Yank to do was to look at and evaluate my converter problem with an open mind. Unfortunately all I got was a price quote of $200-$600 after I was told that my STOCK 3.23 gears were the reason my warranty was being voided.
After some Moderator involvement the quote for repair of my in warranty Yank PT4000 converter was possibility less than $200.

There was no way in hell I was going to send my $900 converter into Yank for repair after what Mike was telling me. For all I knew I could have sent the converter in for repair and received a $500 bill. That was not going to happen. I had lost all trust in Yank.

I sent the converter to TCI for repair and had no problem paying them for their services.
My issue was about TRUST and HONOR and had nothing to do with money.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail.

John
Old 04-26-2004, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
no midwest supporters here?

i like my 3200/3400 and will be track testing it soon.
I was thinking the same thing!
I just put a midwest 4000 where a vig 3200 was and feel the midwest is far superior.
Cost is a hole lot less also.
I've had yank and vig in my lt1 car and vig/midwest in my ls1 car.
I'd buy another midwest no problem.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Midwest owner here and have loved it ever since I put it in the car. Should be getting it back this week after the restall. (3600/2.2)
Old 04-26-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

TCI owner here

If I had to buy another converter right now I'd get a TCI.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a little old Yank SY-3500 that still cuts 1.4Xs on a 3,850 lbs daily driver.

Must have been a super sneaky stealth version of the prototype PT4400+++ if it's doing it after 30K miles???

Facts are; parts can fail and you won't always know which came first the chicken or the egg. Yank is the only converter vendor that puts out their detailed recommendations on which converters to buy with cross reference for mods, gears and tires. People don't always pay attention to that when they go shopping but it's good place to start when going mail order.

I'm as far off that recommendation scale as anyone you'll meet with slicks, 3.73 gears, a 422, and 100 HP shot. The converter has been in the car since about the 600 mile mark and it was the best bang for the buck mod ever. Not all 30K miles have been under that strain but there are over 50 runs with that level abuse and 100s more with other power combos before the current package. I've never had a problem with the SY-3500. I pulled it once to try another converter and had it back in the car in less than a 100 miles.

Warranties are great and customer service is critcal becuase it only take one disatisfied customer to drive that point home as we see in this forumn frequently on this particular topic. There may be 100s or 1,000s of customers out there that have beat their products up like me but they don't bother to comment here because they've worked so well, they've never had to bother to call for a customer service issue.

In the end, investigate your choices from a balanced perspective. Find the product that matches your style of driving and your long term performance goals. Don't ever out grow you're starter product like I have because you might just have to make a call some day... to order another one for your next project.

Rick
Old 04-27-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Well I had my Yank Y3200 for 3 years with zero problems. Mike always returned my calls and answered my questions. However a very strict budget wouldn't allow a new Yank, so I went with a TCI SSF 3800. I PM'd Kevin with some questions and he replied thoroughly and promptly. I also had a friend run a SSF 3500 who routinely pulled 1.60 60-fts with that converter in a super-heavy W6 vert while averaging over 100 miles a day driving to and from work. I'm happy my Yank gave me trouble free miles and performance and I'm confident TCI will do the same.

Jnorris - off-topic, but can you post the formula you used to calculate converter efficiency?

See the below link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/155303-how-can-i-tell-if-my-converter-effecient-its-rated.html

Quick Reply: Best brand of torque converter?