Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E to a 4L80E ~ What's required? Direct swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E to a 4L80E ~ What's required? Direct swap?

I just finally scored my donor LS for the 46' Harvester I'm rodding. 04' 5.3L/4L60E out of an 04' Yukon XL. I'm freshening up the motor and should have it ready soon to start fabbing my mounts and such to get this thing in my truck. My question is, the 4L60E looks to be rebuilt. At least the converter doesn't look factory. I keep reading that the 60E is garbage and the 80E is the way to go. Is the 60 and 80 a direct swap? Can I use the 60E I have to mock my chassis up and just pick up a 4L80E for the final assembly?
Truck will be 3800lbs roughly. Maybe less. 5.3L, hoping for 400 or so to the tires. Jaguar front and rear suspension with 3.54 Powr-Lok.
I had thought to just run this one and swap in an 80 when needed but I would rather not have to buy a converter for both. In other words, just go right to the 80.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Perform an Advanced Search, enter "4l60e to 4l80e swap" for the keyword and limit the search to "Automatic Transmission". There are 244 threads on the subject.

No, it far from a direct swap. The trans case is quite a bit bigger.
You need a different torque converter.
The wiring harness and PCM need to be modified.
However, it will bolt right up to an LS engine.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, I am in the process of doing a 4l80e swap too. Here is the guide I am following:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l80e-swap.html

Only thing I am deviating from is using Frosts wiring harness since it does not need an operating system's change unlike the Speartech.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the link. Not sure which route I'm gonna go. I may just clean up the rebuilt trans I have(60E), do whatever upgrades I can to it without tearing it apart, and running it. I'm only gonna be running a 5.3L in front of it. While I'm sure the truck will see plenty of burnouts, I don't epect to be flooring it running through the gears.
Is there a certain type of driving that tears these things up? Is it the high rpm shifts that cause failure? I plan to run an aftermarket pan(extra oil capacity) and the largest trans cooler I can mount in the truck. The 60E might end up doing find for me. Or I could be smoking something!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM

A big trans cooler is certainly a good step.
WOT 2-3 shifts are probably what tears the 4l60E up more than anything else.
While a full shift kit is overkill, the easy-to-install Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 boost valve will increase line pressure across the board, give the trans higher line pressure at WOT and thereby reduce slippage and wear during shifts. Cost $30, and adds 5 minutes during a filter change, assuming you have good snap ring pliers.
The following users liked this post:
Tallfcker (01-05-2023)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A big trans cooler is certainly a good step.
WOT 2-3 shifts are probably what tears the 4l60E up more than anything else.
While a full shift kit is overkill, the easy-to-install Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 boost valve will increase line pressure across the board, give the trans higher line pressure at WOT and thereby reduce slippage and wear during shifts. Cost $30, and adds 5 minutes during a filter change, assuming you have good snap ring pliers.
So just run the Sonnax LB1?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by IRNMADN
So just run the Sonnax LB1?
Yes, that by itself is a nice improvement; slightly firmer shifts and likely to extend the life of the trans.
If you are up for removing the valve body, there is more that can be done, such as installing part or most of a shift kit. Besides the cost of the shift kit ($80 for Transgo HD2 or $125 for more comprehensive Sonnax Performance Pack), figure another $25 for a Transgo Separator plate, $30 for the Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve and 4 hours if you are new to this.

If you go HD2, also get the Sonnax Servo Release check valve, Sonnax Torlon Check ***** and Sonnax Pinless Piston, which are all included in the Sonnax kit.
BTW - the LB1 boost valve is also included in the Sonnax kit; while the HD2 kit includes a similar boost valve.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, that by itself is a nice improvement; slightly firmer shifts and likely to extend the life of the trans.
If you are up for removing the valve body, there is more that can be done, such as installing part or most of a shift kit. Besides the cost of the shift kit ($80 for Transgo HD2 or $125 for more comprehensive Sonnax Performance Pack), figure another $25 for a Transgo Separator plate, $30 for the Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve and 4 hours if you are new to this.

If you go HD2, also get the Sonnax Servo Release check valve, Sonnax Torlon Check ***** and Sonnax Pinless Piston, which are all included in the Sonnax kit.
BTW - the LB1 boost valve is also included in the Sonnax kit; while the HD2 kit includes a similar boost valve.
I'm not a big fan of the servo release check valve or pinless piston. The LB1 is great.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I'm not a big fan of the servo release check valve or pinless piston. The LB1 is great.
Just checked out your site. I noticed there's no info on the 4L60E. Is this trans just a waste of time?
Almost feeling like I should just off it and score a used 4L80E and try to figure out how to use it! lol
If these simply don't hold up then why bother. I will be lucky if I hit 400hp to the tires with the 5.3L I'm gonna run. 3.54 posi Jag rear(Dana 44) in 46' Harvester that will weigh just under 3800lbs or so.
It will be a daily driver.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I went to their site and the performance pack they have sounds like the way to go. Plus it's only $170 or so. If I picked up the kit, is this pretty much all I need? Not sure if a Vette servo is still needed or.....
Sorry for being a noob. Transmissions are new territory for me.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM

The Sonnax Performance Pack is an excellent shift kit and very complete.
Only $125 here: http://hptransparts.com/sonnax-performance-pack.html

Jake might not be a fan of the Pinless pistons, but you definitely want to replace any plastic 2nd or 4th accumulator pistons with either aluminum ones or Pinless ones. The Sonnax kit includes Pinless ones.

Many pro builders like Jake are also not fans of the Servo Release Check valve because they have the knowledge/experience to work the same magic in other ways, but for us amateurs I trust Sonnax.

Also get a Transgo Universal separator plate for '96 thru '06 (except '05 Vette) for about $30 as they can get banged up pretty bad by the steel check *****. The Sonnax kit has Torlon check *****.

I don't know if your trans has the Vette servo; so just order one for $15. It can be VERY difficult to change the servo once the trans is in a car due to clearance.

I know that Jake considers the Sonnax HD 2-3 Shift valve "essential". It is a bit pricey at $30 and requires drilling a mod into the valve body, but greatly reduces the load on the marginal forward sprag; it also provides more oil to the 3/4 clutch during the 2-3 shift; just remember to drag in [D3] and not [D4]/[OD].

And that is all you need other than a new filter and 5 or 6 quarts of ATF.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice. Now only if I knew what you just said! lol
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM

As you learn more about the trans, it will make more sense.
If you take the plunge and order the Sonnax kit, PM me and I will give you my cell # for quicker answers and help.

Quick Reply: 4L60E to a 4L80E ~ What's required? Direct swap?