Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e swap, roll races, need opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Wells
Well I originally wanted to go with the electronic auto shift, but everyone I have spoken to (such as Midwest chassis and others) have steered me in the direction of the fmvb.
I read a comment on here from Jake's and it said that it is better to have it controlled electronically. Seemed to stick in my mind since they sell FMVB's
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will definitely make it better for a daily driver routine. And even in the roll racing, you can still drop to the gear you want it in and hold it there, then go up a gear when you are ready to shift during the race. Although I am not encouraging that activity.

Tell them to be real brave and take it to a track, or at least get WAY OUT away from population so there is less chance of people getting hurt if something goes wrong..

Know what I mean?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
It will definitely make it better for a daily driver routine. And even in the roll racing, you can still drop to the gear you want it in and hold it there, then go up a gear when you are ready to shift during the race. Although I am not encouraging that activity. Tell them to be real brave and take it to a track, or at least get WAY OUT away from population so there is less chance of people getting hurt if something goes wrong.. Know what I mean?
For sure!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

They make them with auto/manual option which is what you'll want for mostly street use. Just put the shifter in whatever gear you want and it will stay there.

They probably said fmvb due to your HP level.
At your level according to Jake you'll want billet shafts in the trans.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboS10
They make them with auto/manual option which is what you'll want for mostly street use. Just put the shifter in whatever gear you want and it will stay there. They probably said fmvb due to your HP level. At your level according to Jake you'll want billet shafts in the trans.
You're probably right. Would the auto shifted valve body not work well with my hp levels?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

When I talked to Jake about my Turbo setup the FMVB wasn't mentioned unless I wanted one.
He just said that turbos were easy on the trans and it may live for a while w/o billet parts. That said, I know some that have broke expensive parts peddling.
I know almost nothing about how they make a fmvb. But some of the mods for fmvb's have to do with pressure control which will affect how much power they can hold.
Which also makes them less suited for street use.

Did your AI heads meet expectations? Did you get them independently flow tested?
I'm on the fence about having them port a set of my heads.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboS10
When I talked to Jake about my Turbo setup the FMVB wasn't mentioned unless I wanted one. He just said that turbos were easy on the trans and it may live for a while w/o billet parts. That said, I know some that have broke expensive parts peddling. I know almost nothing about how they make a fmvb. But some of the mods for fmvb's have to do with pressure control which will affect how much power they can hold. Which also makes them less suited for street use. Did your AI heads meet expectations? Did you get them independently flow tested? I'm on the fence about having them port a set of my heads.
Ah ok I see. I think I have decided to go with the computer controlled shifted trans.

I haven't gotten any number on the heads yet because I'm yet to swap motors out in the car, so it hasn't been started up yet. But they were absolutely stunning when I got them back. Nicest set of stock casting heads I've ever seen, AI did an amazing job. My friend had a set of 243's ported by them and it was only the 226cc port job, ended up making more power than a very high quality aftermarket head. My heads have the 232cc port job so I would imagine they will flow very well.

Quick Reply: 4L80e swap, roll races, need opinions!