Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e alto red clutch clearance ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow 4l60e alto red clutch clearance ?

what clearance is everyone running on ''EACH'' alto red clutch pack, for the foward clutchs, reverse clutches, and 3/4 clutch packs, thanks matt
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 425 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by monte383sbc
what clearance is everyone running on ''EACH'' alto red clutch pack, for the foward clutchs, reverse clutches, and 3/4 clutch packs, thanks matt
I don't know how to change the clearance on the forward or reverse clutches and therefore just make sure there is some clearance. Other than having enough clearance to disengage the clutch, actual clearance is related to shift quality - how often do you shift between Reverse and a forward gear? Do you care it if takes 4/10 second or 5/10 seconds?

Several builders have told me to avoid the Alto Red clutches for the 3/4 clutch. Use Hi-Energy/GPZ for Blues. See my post #3 here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ches-4l60.html

I have posted this before, but here is is again:

Builder/member Dynamic396 has convinced me of the importance of replacing the apply plate with each rebuild, or at least measuring that it has less than .001" of coning. Replacement is good insurance for $12.

Builder/member carlsonauto convinced me that the 3/4 clutch clearance needs to be increased for Red or Blue frictions to avoid premature wear.
Also, instead of thinking overall clearance, you should think clearance per friction. From what I have been told the suggested clearance per friction are:
Hi-Energy (Brown) - .003 to .007 per friction (wet)
Performance (Red) - .004 to .007 per friction
Super-HP Blue - .005 to .008 per friction

Therefore, while the total clearance with 7 Hi-Energy friction might be as low as .025, with 8 Blue frictions the total clearance should be around .050. The Blue frictions are soft and sticky and you don't want them wearing on the steels when the clutch is NOT applied.

Quick Reply: 4l60e alto red clutch clearance ?