Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reuse aftermarket torque converter after bad 3-4 clutches

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reuse aftermarket torque converter after bad 3-4 clutches

I have bad 3-4 clutches and need a rebuild, can the torque converter be re-used?

I ask because I have a midwest 3600 2.5 converter that was put in back in 2003 (about 35K miles since) that I spent $500 on that I would like to save it possible, otherwise I'd likely end up going back to stock, don't even remember what that feels like.

I read different opinions, that it can be professionally flushed, cut open and cleaned, or that it will always be questionable, and may limit any rebuild warranty.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure if a shop rebuilds it, they won't warranty it if the torque converter from the blown transmission is reused. At least that's what I've always read.

I asked the same basic question and pretty much every response was to get a new torque converter and that it wasn't worth the risk. There was a minority that said if I was desperate, I could get something like an inexpensive Daaco or attempt to flush the converter. I decided in the end to spend a little extra money and get a basic custom converter from Circle D. I spent a lot of hours and money rebuilding my transmission myself and I wasn't going to risk it.

BUT, my converter was the original stock converter with a lot more miles on it, whereas yours is a much newer and better quality torque converter. Maybe flushing is an acceptable idea in this case?
Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

If in doubt send the converter out for a cut-open and flush.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were ours, we would want you to send it in. There's lots of places for clutch material and metal debris to hide in a torque converter. Technology has also changed since 2003, so you may ask for any new and updated parts.

-Brian
Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I know this isn’t the industry standard but on my personal cars I reuse the torque converter. Depending on how much crap is in the trans, because whatever is in the trans is in the torque converter also. I will unhook the return line from the cooler fill the trans with fluid start the car and then shut it off as soon as fluid stops coming out. I will repeat this until I get clean fluid. Then hook the line back up refill trans and drive the car for a few days. Then I will drop the pan and change the filter. It is a gamble that I am willing to take.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So armed with this information I talked to some shops today - the best one quoted $1765, and that included upgraded parts like the sunshell, clutch material, and a shift kit. He didn't seem impressed about 5-gear planetaries on a car.

On the torque converter, he said there's a place he can sent it out to be cut open and rebuilt (something about some can't be - but they can do something else with it?) for the price of the stock unit they'd normally use in the rebuild.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I would base the decision on what's found in the trans and the appearance of the fluid. If there is visible gunk or material in the valvebody or elsewhere, I'd definitely do a cut and clean. If the trans is generally clean and the fluid only darkened by progressive clutch wear over time, I'd feel more confident about skipping that step. In the latter case you could also do a powerflush after the install or what bbond describes for added peace of mind.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

lost the 3-4 clutches in mine 3 years ago. Got trans rebuilt and converter flushed and haven't had any issues at all since. Converter was a generic 2800 and still works the same as when it was new.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Rule of thumb, if there is a clutch failure, always cut and clean. Having a converter cut and clean is not terrible expensive and it allows the converter to be thoroughly inspected and refreshed.

Quick Reply: Reuse aftermarket torque converter after bad 3-4 clutches