Sponsored by:

Tci converter alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tci converter alignment issue

Hey guys,
I went to my local Chevy dealership today to ask, what I thought was a very simple question but never got a straight answer from anyone.

Here's my issue. I swapped my stock torque converter for a tci super street fighter unit. It went in no problem, turned freely in the transmission and when the trans was bolted up to the motor. I have been able to install 2 out of the 3 t/c bolts no problem but one of the holes on the tci unit does not exactly lineup with the flywheel hole. We're talking off by a few milimeters. I don't really know where to go from here. Other than starting over and taking the trans back out, the only thing I can think of is using a dremel to slightly notch the flywheel to give that extra space the bolts needs to fit. Would that completely screw everything up or would a slight notch be ok?

I'll get a picture for you when I get back home.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

the snout should center the converter in the crank, then any bolts that fit would be ok, as long as their not forced, and one that doesn't should work with enlarging
The main thing is to not create a bind by forcing a bolt to align
Usually the holes are a little larger in the FW anyway
Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Yeah that's the last thing I want to do is bind and strip the hell out of that converter. It almost seems like the hole on the converter was drilled at tad off.
Here's some pics for reference.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, but this forum has a quite a few horror stories about the cheaper TCI converters failing and ruining the transmission.
I had one of those, and it was an absolute "slush box" on the street require very high revs before the car would move. Switching a Yank SS3600 was far tighter on the street.

I suspect there is little quality control on those TCI converters and you just experienced it.
If possible, return it and buy a Yank SS or Circle D 258mm converter.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately I'm on a time constraint and have to get the car going asap so that's not an option. I've read good and bad things about them but made my mind up on tci because the shop said they've had nothing but good expiriences with them. I guess only time will tell.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Are the first two bolts finger tight or already torqued?
I install the first two not even finger tight, leaving about 1/16" movement.
I then install the 3rd bolt and torque it down; then torque the previous two installed one.
As forcd_ind stated, there should be some play in the flexplate holes, as long as you don't immediately torque the first two bolts.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

hmmmm a tci converter that wasnt built right . its a frequent thing . tci converters,trannys are junk . there is a reason there cheep .
Old 05-16-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Amen Brother. TCI coverts are junk!!!! Customer service is even worse than the converts. Summit says to call TCI. TCI says to call Summit. Use at you own risk and don’t expect a warranty. A good brand converter is cheaper than a new trans, because it WILL take the trans out with it when it goes.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Yeah I did finger tight first hoping it would be give me enough play but it still wasn't enough.
So would notching the flywheel slightly work or cause bad vibrations? Regardless if the converter is **** or not it just needs to be road worthy for now.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Elongating the hold should be fine. I don’t think this would cause a vibration problem.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Agree that clearancing the hole should be fine. FWIW, my TCI SF3000 gave me flawless service with great driveability for 24k, before I upgraded to a Yank SS3600. The weak point on those converters is the lock-up clutch. You must have a revised TCC apply setup or the factory system will chew up that clutch with potentially catastrophic results.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

pretty common with tci torque converters. I had the same issue with my old tci converter until they made me a billet converter to replace it.

Quick Reply: Tci converter alignment issue