Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance 4L60E build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
When you see 50% of builders saying one thing and 50% of builders saying the opposite, that often indicates it doesn't really matter.
Their purpose was to reduce wear on the 3/4 clutch when the trans is in 1st and 2nd gear, which is rarely. As mechanics complained that the 3/4 clutch was wearing out due to slippage, many started to remove the springs as that increases the clamping pressure on the clutch by about 8 lbs. Since clamping pressure at full stock line pressure is around 700 lbs, that isn't a big difference.
Therefore, I personally keep the springs in, especially in a performance build with higher line pressure (800 lbs of clamping), drilled separator plate for faster clutch engagement (and less slipping) and tighter clutch clearance.

In short, the springs reduce the clamping force by about 1%, but might reduce the wear on the clutches if you drive a lot in 1st and 2nd gear.
thanks for the information, I have read where people have set as close as 0.010 tol on 3/4 clutch pack, I am at the factory spec right now I think I'll go in and tighten this up a bit maybe shoot for 0.030?? , and as you say leave them in.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

p.s. does the Sonnax performance kit, boost the line pressure? and how much do you think?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The boost valve that comes with the Performance Pack does boost line pressure a little. I don't remember how much though.

Quick Reply: Performance 4L60E build thread