Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be worried about my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be worried about my transmission?

Hey guys, I need the cold hard truth on this one. I have a 1997 Camaro Z28 automatic (4L60E?) with 132,000 miles on it. My question is should I be worried about my transmission going soon? Because when I am in park and I shift either to reverse or drive, the car shakes pretty violently (not terrible but starting to worry me) and takes about one second to get into gear. Now, when I drive the car the transmission is VERY smooth. (A little jerk from first to second but I've been told that these trannys were designed like this).

My motor mounts are fine because my engine doesn't move when I shift (had a friend check), so could it be the transmission mounts? or is this just my transmission getting old? Any information would be amazing. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Bump.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it vibrating when you go into gear or is it shifting harshly?

My truck would shift harshly on occasion when going into F or R, along with sometimes a harsh 1-2 shift, and it threw a code for the throttle position sensor. Changed it out and everything was good.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah exactly, it's shifting harshly, not vibrating. I think maybe it could be my engine revving too high at idle so its slamming into gear maybe? I have a check engine light for an O2 sensor. Could that maybe causing it?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw this out, I'm not an expert so take anything I think of with a grain of salt.

A bad throttle position sensor can also cause a high idle.

Assuming those are the original O2 sensors, it's possible they're not working as well as they should with 133,000 miles. The various sensors can cause shifting issues, such as the MAF sensor or the air temp sensor, when they go bad. Not sure if O2 sensors affect shifting to the degree you're experiencing, or at all.

Bad stuff at the front can cause emissions issues in the back end. Maybe your O2 sensor code is actually a symptom of something wrong closer to the engine? I used to get a catalytic converter code but after changing out the (functional, no codes for it) 20yo mass airflow sensor the cat sensor efficiency code stopped coming on.

If the more experienced people think it could be a bad TPS, get the AC Delco OEM one. I got the AC Delco professional series one and it crapped out a few months later and I had to buy another one, except went with the OEM line this time.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the honesty I may just ask my mechanic soon if it keeps acting up. Anyone else?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

ATF level check?
Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by clinebarger
ATF level check?
I had the fluids filled before I stored it for the winter. Should be fine. But I guess I could check
Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the tachometer needle when this is happening ? what rpm when your attempting gear changes ? if its 1000 rpm or higher its going to be abrupt
Old 02-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by murphinator
where is the tachometer needle when this is happening ? what rpm when your attempting gear changes ? if its 1000 rpm or higher its going to be abrupt
Glad you mentioned this. Because it idles at a hair above 1000 rpm. Is this something where I should try to get a tuner to fix the idle speed? Or could it be something else? Or should I just leave it?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clrusso21
Glad you mentioned this. Because it idles at a hair above 1000 rpm. Is this something where I should try to get a tuner to fix the idle speed? Or could it be something else? Or should I just leave it?

high idle start by checking for vac leaks and try unplugging the IAC (idle air controller) on the throttle body to see if the idle drops to normal with that unplugged.

Quick Reply: Should I be worried about my transmission?