Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E manual controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E manual controller

I do believe I have found a feasible solution to a problem that I have noticed is rather prevalent in the 4L80E swap world. Say you have a car (or truck) that you are putting a good ol' torque-loving 4L80E in, and you want full manual control without all the expensive bells and whistles of a new valve body and/or a $500+ trans control computer. Also, most of you who fall into this category want control over operating pressure, but your only option for that has been a vacuum modulator kit. Meet my new control box! As far as wiring and shifting goes, it offers what several currently available control boxes offer; plug-and-play full manual, forward-pattern shifting, with a TCC switch. But that's where the similarities end. I have designed and tested an electronic controller for the infamous pulse-width modulated pressure control solenoid. You simply mount a **** on your dash (or wherever the heck you feel like putting it) and boom! Full control over line pressure! I currently have a prototype in use on a test vehicle, but as soon as I have all the kinks worked out (if there are any) I hope to start producing it for sale in the US. Oh, and I might mention that the price will be significantly lower than the currently available controllers which offer NO control over pressure! Right now I'm just trying to get a feel for how much interest there will be in such a device.

Last edited by Ben Brenner; 03-06-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a money maker if it works.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Hopefully so! I'm just excited and glad to offer an affordable, working solution to such a common problem.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

There was a drawing floating around how to wire one up for man shift
I made up a harness, never tested it though
be interesting to see what you come up with
Old 03-05-2016, 10:12 PM
Teching In

Yeah the wiring part has been around for awhile. You have to do quite a bit of digging about, but it's not too hard to find a diagram floating around. As I said previously, it's still in the R&D phase, but so far the results have been impressive to say the least! I'm currently running it in my DD, which is a 2000 Silverado 2500 with the LQ4 and of course, a 4L80E. The engine is eeking out a bit more power than its stock 300hp, and the trans has been untouched for all of the truck's 190xxx miles. It was owned by an easy-going old fart before I got it, and all he did was tow around a rock climber on the weekends since he bought it brand new, so it's not too beat on. That being said, 1st gear was beginning to slip, and the 3-4 shift was slow and mushy. The day I installed the controller, I took it out for a spin. Since the shifts were all manual, I expected some changes, but I was very impressed! Of course, there is a split-second delay between when the shifter is put in gear and when the actual gear change occurs, but there is no way around that with any electronic full manual conversion. Second gear now chirps the tires under full pressure, and third and fourth are all but neck-snapping. The pressure control dial offers full adjustability between full pressure and zero, so it can be set for racing or comfort at whatever pressure suits your fancy. I'm working on designing a kit that includes all the necessary wiring and parts, and a very understandable instruction sheet. I'll post a link to a video shortly, and photos are on the way as well. If anyone on here lives nearby and is interested in helping with testing and constructive criticism, get in contact and we'll see what we can do! Thanks so much for the replies; I kinda had some doubts about the level of interest.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 PM
Teching In

any updates? I think im about to go l80 with manual shift im in OKC not too far from you!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Zac2003 pm me and we'll talk about it.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

The only downside I can see is if someone doesn't dial in the correct pressure for what they are doing, they will burn it up-hence the full pressure and the addition of the vac mod to allow full pressure when the engine sees low vacuum (power)
I have used a couple of the Comp. Shift controllers, and in their man. mode I was impressed with the shifts, much quicker than the HD-3 man kit I had installed in a 4l80E
If interested, when I had built an 80E with an HD-3 man kit and mod., I have noted some pressures in all gears, with and w/o the mod
Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by forcd ind
The only downside I can see is if someone doesn't dial in the correct pressure for what they are doing, they will burn it up-hence the full pressure and the addition of the vac mod to allow full pressure when the engine sees low vacuum (power)
I have used a couple of the Comp. Shift controllers, and in their man. mode I was impressed with the shifts, much quicker than the HD-3 man kit I had installed in a 4l80E
If interested, when I had built an 80E with an HD-3 man kit and mod., I have noted some pressures in all gears, with and w/o the mod
I thought the same thing! A tps would be a good /safer idea.
The more you put your foot in it, the more PSI.

PM me the pressures you've got.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zac2003
any updates? I think im about to go l80 with manual shift im in OKC not too far from you!

Any more updates on this?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

When these sort of boxes are used in "manual" mode....do they pretty much feel like a manual ? other than no conventional stick of course.

ie is the convertor locked at all times, or is it still loose ? Are shifts fast, or is there any lag time ?

In essence...is it possible to have an auto car behave like, or near like a manual for circuit, road course, etc type racing...but then also perform well on the drag strip when required ?

I've seen some say 4th gear cannot tolerate hard shifts under a lot of power, ie for 1/2 or mile type racing where this would be needed ? 1k+ range.

Can they do it all ?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Teching In

First off, with the box installed, the transmission is always in full manual. Second, the TCC is controlled by a switch, whatever style you prefer, mounted wherever and however you like. The lag is only really noticeable at low throttle, and with low line pressure. The higher your pressure and the more throttle you are giving it, the faster you shifts will feel. Even then, it is probably still faster than the time it takes to use the clutch and change gears in a manual. Your shift speed will be more determined by what style of shifter you are using than anything else. Fourth gear durability is more dependent on the quality of your transmission build than by the shift control. Mine has held up fine in a 5,000lb truck while hammering it with a loaded trailer, so I think it will hold up fine.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How are you varying the line pressure with vacuum?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Nope with a controller I've made. The line pressure is controlled by a PWM solenoid, so it requires some special circuitry to control it.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad idea.

Have you put a gauge on the trans, to see what your "controller" is doing to line pressure when you are turning it down?

Usually anyone seeking a full manual box, is hot-rodding it. Meaning firm shifts are fine. And a 4l80e with fixed line pressure, isn't that firm with a decent sized converter in front of it.

Last edited by built408; 08-04-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I've been running it in my tow/all-around beater rig for 2 years now with no problems. I just turn the pressure down a little whenever I'm cruising around town or something so the shifts aren't so hard. If I'm towing or beating on it, I turn it all the way up. No issues at all so far.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ben Brenner
First off, with the box installed, the transmission is always in full manual. Second, the TCC is controlled by a switch, whatever style you prefer, mounted wherever and however you like. The lag is only really noticeable at low throttle, and with low line pressure. The higher your pressure and the more throttle you are giving it, the faster you shifts will feel. Even then, it is probably still faster than the time it takes to use the clutch and change gears in a manual. Your shift speed will be more determined by what style of shifter you are using than anything else. Fourth gear durability is more dependent on the quality of your transmission build than by the shift control. Mine has held up fine in a 5,000lb truck while hammering it with a loaded trailer, so I think it will hold up fine.
Do you mean shift speed etc is determined by the controller, or actual shifter ?

Being electronically controlled, surely the shifter is only electrical switches, so should play minimal role ?

So 3-4 shifts would be no problem pushing 1000-1200hp or so through one ? ( built appropriately of course ) I only ask that as I seen some mention elsewhere these boxes dont like powerful 3-4 shifts.. 1-3 no problem at all..but not 3-4
Old 08-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Teching In

The shifter is operating switches, which then operate solenoids, which then open and close the hydraulic valves that do the actual shifting, therefore there is more lag than with a true full manual valve body. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with 4L80E 3-4 clutches holding big power, but since this method of shifting allows the transmission to use dual apply when shifting, I would imagine it is actually better at holding.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:02 AM
9 Second Club

Cool...maybe it was another 4 speed I had heard that about, but was almost sure it was an 80.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a 4L60E problem to me.

Quick Reply: 4L80E manual controller