Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger TC bad for tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bigger TC bad for tranny?

Pardon my stupidness, I am a M6 guy My wife on the other hand has a '00 NBM TA (A4), and I am looking at TC's, the TCI SSF3500 looks nice, it is her daily driver car, etc. If we put an aftermarket torque converter in the car, is that going to hurt the stock tranny or cut the life of it down at all? I just don't want to run into tranny problems after the TC goes in, etc..

Any help will be greatly appreicated! Thanks guys, these threads are great!!
Old 06-22-2004, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Get a decent size transmission cooler installed and you shouldn't run into any problems. I put that exact same stall in a little over a month ago and it's been real good to me. Didn't really lose too much gas mileage (if any) and it launches like a bat out of hell. A word of advice... If you aren't running with drag radials DO NOT go WOT under 50. It will fish tail. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I have regular street tires with about 80% thread on them. I went WOT at about 50 MPH and I was all over the road. I've done it once from a dead stop. NEVER AGAIN. Good luck with the TC though.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I have ran 5 different converters in my car in the past 2 1/2 years and have NO issues at all. As stated make sure to run a good sized trans cooler, and make sure an experienced person/shop does the install. I would also recommend installing a trans temp guage to montior temps, that is the main killer after a tq converter install is overheating. Do you plan to get it tuned? What other mods are on the car?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 20,000 miles and over 200 - 1/8 mile passes on my stock trans with a Yank ST3500. A trans cooler is a MUST!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. I will be sure to get a cooler on there, it's probably a good idea to get a cooler on there anyways, seeing as how we live in AZ and it's hot as hell all the time What cooler do you all recommend??

As for the other mods, not many yet, she has a lid, Eibach Springs and Bilstein shocks, and a Hooker Aerochamber exhaust. The car has the 3.23 rear so that's nice. I am planning to get LS1edit for it, it pings like a mother and I can't take it anymore, and I never drive the car, just ride in it on the weekends, etc She hates it too, and I can only imagine what it's doing to the pistons, etc.

I would like to get headers, intake, cam, etc all later down the road, she wants rims, etc first, dang wife want the show before the go

What do you think of adding a converter before the other bolt ons? I would assume it would do alright without headers, etc.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Launching!

i would do bolt on's, converter and then ls1 edit. I think that way you enjoy the bolt on and then experience a BIG help from the stall.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I had an SY350 for ywo years and put around 45000 miles on it. My tranny just blew at the beginning of the summer (planetaries blew) but that was the way the transmission was built, not the converter. Although, there is a little thought in the back of my head that the high stall covered some of the tell tales that I would otherwise have noticed. But that's just a suspicion.

Anyways, I ran the car three times during the previous summer and my best sixty (on brand new street rubber) was a 1.9 with a 106.5 mph.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

I've got a B&M 24,000 GVW it came as a complete kit and was easy to install.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, I will see what we can figure out, I KNOW I need LS1edit first, I have to get rid of that detonation, it's gonna kill that bitch, then the converter, I hate spending money on little bolt on crap that won't give me near the benefit of the converter will.

Tranny cooler is going on ASAP. I like the looks of the B&M 24k, probably get that one, just wish there was a better way to mount it instead of in front of the radiator/a/c condensor.

Thanks again guys, this helps a lot!!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Launching!

I have actually heard of guys that mount the cooler with it's own fan under the car. Go figure. I've never seen it, but i have heard of it. Hughes Performance has a nice cooler/fan set up.