Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 Swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80 Swap problems

2001 Trans Am with 4L80 swap, speartech harness, Rossler T3 4L80, Circle D Triple Disk Converter, and Tuned by PCM for Less. New build and when we tried to break in the reared on the lift we noticed the trans seemed to be starting in 2nd gear and not shifting. Also after it got rolling you cannot stop it without putting it in neutral because the converter is locked. After stopping it in neutral you can put it in gear and hold it with the brakes but once it starts rolling again it locks the converter and it will stall the motor if you try to stop it. I have read some on this and am leaning towards the tune not having the segment swap. My tech 2 pcmia card took a dump and am waiting for it to come so I can see some data but am looking for suggestions in the meantime.

Last edited by mobileman; 07-12-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Even if the Segment Swap didn't take.....The converter shouldn't lock as soon as VSS signal is present.
From the sound of it....You have the TCC Enable Solenoid circuit wired to the TCC PWM Solenoid in the trans.

The dark brown wire in cavity "U" needs to be swapped into cavity "S".
You have a complete Speartech engine harness or do you have a "Trans Plug extension harness"?

Here's a 4L60E connector view & a 4L80E connector view, I've always extended the harness on F-bodies by splicing on a truck connector (Solder & Heat Shrink), Swap pins "U" & "S", And run 2 new wires for the ISS Sensor.....So I'm not exactly familiar with swap harnesses, IF your using one?

4L80 Swap problems-2r9kloh.gif

4L80 Swap problems-c3tiumm.gif
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I have just the Speartech swap harness and it also comes with the connector for the front ISS sensor and wires that we installed in slot 22 & 23 on the red connector of the PCM. I'm not a 100% on the harness cause it says it needs programming still so I'm assuming its just and extension harness and you still need the segment swap.

Last edited by mobileman; 07-12-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Has 12v at Pin E. Borrowed Snap on scanner and commanded it to shift and no change. Shows correct gear selected. No codes. Seems like 2nd only and converter locked up when moving.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Watch the shift solenoid states...... I included a 4L60E solenoid state just to show that solenoid B operates backwards between the two.
What is the Duty Cycle of the TCC PWM Solenoid?
What is the commanded current (AMP's) to the PCS? Sould be right around 1.00 AMP at closed throttle.

4L80 Swap problems-ngmzeza.gif

4L80 Swap problems-0bcdbgi.gif
Old 07-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

My solenoid states match the 4L60 chart. My duty cycle is 98% and My PC SOL shows .88 amps.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mobileman
My solenoid states match the 4L60 chart. My duty cycle is 98% and My PC SOL shows .88 amps.
So you have or have not had a segment swap performed???

If it still has the 4L60E segment......It should throw 3-2 Shift Solenoid & TCC Enable Solenoid codes & default the shift solenoids to the off position (2nd gear on a '80E), If the are both commanded "ON".....That is 4th gear & could see the TCC locking up IF the tune allowed it at such a low speed.

Do you have HPTuners?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

He was suppose to do the segment swap but after we spoke it sounds like he thought it didn't need one for some reason. I'm not real confident with him after speaking with him on this and other stuff tuning related. I have no codes when I hook on it with my Tech 2. I don't have HP Tuners but I guess I'm going to have to get it. I will also listen to suggestions on where to send the computer for a tune.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest unhooking the wire that locks the converter and testing again. 4L80e have other issues that can cause uncommanded converter lockup. Mine did the same until I made the line to lube modification.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Getting HP Tuners tomorrow and The segment swap in the CPU. Will recheck everything after that and hope its good. I will remove the signal after that if it still exists. I'm hoping not to have to take this transmission out again.

Quick Reply: 4L80 Swap problems