Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Slips In Every Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Slips In Every Gear

I just installed a 4L60E from a junkyard and added the correct amount of ATF, and tried to flush out the old ATF using the cooler line method. The cooling line does not put out as much fluid as normal, and acts like there is air in the line or some kind of blockage. I blew out the line so I know there is nothing in it. It will fill up a quart in 45sec-1min instead which is definitely not where it should be. I drove the car about a 100 miles and the transmission slips pretty bad, and it gets hot as well (usually a little over 200). I was thinking about replacing the filter but I'm not sure if that would help or if my transmission is just done?
Old 10-23-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Its done now after driving a 100 miles with it slipping. A filter change may have helped if you would have changed it before driving.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

it's possible that it was already done when you bought it, especially from a junkyard. But given what you've said.... I'm sure it's done now.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Most wreaking yards pull the filter now a days, But it's a little late to fix that....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM
Teching In

I think I will try to install a new filter eventhough the tranny might be done. It didn't seem to slip worse after the 100 miles then before so I think the fluid might not be circulating enough. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can get my money back from the junkyard.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lsfan01
I think I will try to install a new filter eventhough the tranny might be done. It didn't seem to slip worse after the 100 miles then before so I think the fluid might not be circulating enough. If that doesn't work I'll see if I can get my money back from the junkyard.
I wish you the best, but I'd bet my life that you won't be getting any money from them.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Game ova
I wish you the best, but I'd bet my life that you won't be getting any money from them.
Probably not, it was only $175 so not a huge loss and at least the car does drive so I can sell it if I don't get the transmission to stop slipping.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$175 isn't too bad for a core. Chances are the transmission was the reason the car ended up in the yard anyway. People with shallow minds and shallower pockets ditch cars all the time because of transmission issues. Have the trans you bought rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks and take that fresh peace of mind with you wherever you drive it. Unless your time is worth absolutely nothing (which, trust me, the sooner you realize it's not the better off you'll be), spend the money to get the trans rebuilt and less time hunting junk yards and swapping them out hoping you get lucky enough to drive it another 1000 miles. 4L60 rebuilds are a dime a dozen because they're so common.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
$175 isn't too bad for a core. Chances are the transmission was the reason the car ended up in the yard anyway. People with shallow minds and shallower pockets ditch cars all the time because of transmission issues. Have the trans you bought rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks and take that fresh peace of mind with you wherever you drive it. Unless your time is worth absolutely nothing (which, trust me, the sooner you realize it's not the better off you'll be), spend the money to get the trans rebuilt and less time hunting junk yards and swapping them out hoping you get lucky enough to drive it another 1000 miles. 4L60 rebuilds are a dime a dozen because they're so common.
Where are you getting 4l60s rebuilt for $200? Or ANY transmission for that matter.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Where are you getting 4l60s rebuilt for $200? Or ANY transmission for that matter.
Yeah I got quotes from every shop around my area and the cheapest was $1350 for just a rebuild. I didn't have money to spend on anything like that so a junkyard trans was the only option.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Where in my post did I say $200?
If you're bringing the rebuilder a core that he doesn't have to remove from the car or put back in himself, you're saving a significant amount. Parts for a rebuild may cost ~$300. How much are you really paying for labor at that point?
Old 10-24-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BudRacing
See that? ^^^
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, semantics. My advice stands. Troll on.

Quick Reply: Transmission Slips In Every Gear