Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

For those wondering how to tune the car... leave the stock GM values for the line pressure. But you have to make sure the tune is right. If you are running SD tune, then the following is super important (Joecar said this a few years back), because you'll burn up the trans with low-line pressure:

If the IFR is undervalued then the resulting corrected VE will be undervalued...

the PCM commands line pressure based on the engine torque value it calculates from the VE table...

if the VE table is low then calculated engine torque is low causing line pressure to be low...
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
For those wondering how to tune the car... leave the stock GM values for the line pressure. But you have to make sure the tune is right. If you are running SD tune, then the following is super important (Joecar said this a few years back), because you'll burn up the trans with low-line pressure:

If the IFR is undervalued then the resulting corrected VE will be undervalued...

the PCM commands line pressure based on the engine torque value it calculates from the VE table...

if the VE table is low then calculated engine torque is low causing line pressure to be low...
That is sort the crux of the issue, now isn't it?

If your car is perfectly stock, and engine parameters of tune are good, therefore a built transmission has nothing to fear as it relates to the transmission parameters of the tune.

If your car is highly modified, and engine parameters of tune are good, therefore a built transmission has nothing to fear as it relates to the transmission parameters of the tune.

If your stockish or highly modified car has jacked up MAF, VE, and/or injector data, etc - well Son, your built transmission is doomed regardless of the transmission tune (which could also skew the survivability rate).

Otherwise the failure is either mechanical or flagrant abuse.

So - if one could provide definitive proof that the tune was solid (a recent log with lots of fancy numbers from around the time of installation) a transmission retailer wouldn't have a leg to stand on (assuming they didn't suppose they were alternate facts). Furthermore, as I stated earlier, if the retailer had the sense to request/include information (logs/pressures/etc), and review the data at the time of installation - it would alleviate the "its the tune" cop-out response.

But, we already know this will never happen. Why? Because it is logistically unfeasible. As we have already seen a transmission vendor state they aren't tuners and tell you to go find a good tuner who has graduated summa *** laude The Tuning School or some such garbage - because tuners don't guarantee their work either. Simply put there is no profit in accepting accountability.

What we are seeing here is the deflection of liability back to the customer, and it works because of the volatility of the hobby as racing = abuse; and a total lack of resolve to demand better service.

Knowledge is power, so invest in quality sensors and datalog, datalog, datalog.

Want a good transmission tune for your built transmission?

1. Ensure your vehicle is in good working order (because things like misfire detection will ****. You. Up.);
2. Input proper injector and supporting data into the tune;
3. Tune your VE table with a wideband to +/-5% STFT/LTFT;
4. Tune your MAF table with a wideband to +/-5% STFT/LTFT;
5. Ensure your shift and TCC parameters suit the application (stockish vs. big stall and lots of gearing);
6. Log your transmission fluid temp ensuring it is in spec; and
7. Log your transmission line pressure with a transducer (P/N, reverse, in and out of load, etc) and tune it into spec.

The instruction on how to do most of these things in a Gen III/Gen IV application are readily available all over the internet.

Finally, I'll say it again: transmissions should not be rated in "horsepower", they should be rated in brake torque and maximum input speed - and restricted accordingly. Unfortunately this would force us to rethink how we build our "max effort" engines, IMO.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
That is sort the crux of the issue, now isn't it?
I've tuned more transmissions than I have anything else.
Not that it matters.

ANYONE with any sense of anything automotive related SHOULD be able to tell if their transmission is working properly.

I've driven around with a mechanical gauge taped to the windshield and I can say it doesn't matter what the transmission is doing you can feel it if the pressures are not right.

One thing I'll say thats really irritating as ****. AS F U CK.

I would have been flamed, called butt hurt, and suspended from the site by now if I had pissed and moaned about all the **** I've read about you beating the maggots left over from the dead horse. No not you though.
The only reason I read through it and all the links and other **** is to find out WHAT THE HELL FAILED??????

NO I don't want a link. Please tell me what failed.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned

Usually the person who improperly built your transmission and doesn't want to bath fixing it.
What was improperly built?
I've wasted a lot of time reading all your bullshit only to find out that your non billet front Yank converter failed. "I'm done poo-pooing on RPM" why? because you found out there was nothing wrong with their transmission after you spent damn near two years trashing them. "it just needs a soft rebuild"
FLT probably won't sell you a pump rotor because they don't want to deal with a dick head like you if it's the wrong color or something. Look back at all your posts here, you **** and moan about damn near everything you buy. The CNC'd heads, didn't even know if they were new or not and complained.

******* cheap *** tightwad bitch.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I've wasted a lot of time reading all your bullshit only to find out that your non billet front Yank converter failed. "I'm done poo-pooing on RPM" why? because you found out there was nothing wrong with their transmission after you spent damn near two years trashing them. "it just needs a soft rebuild"
FLT probably won't sell you a pump rotor because they don't want to deal with a dick head like you if it's the wrong color or something. Look back at all your posts here, you **** and moan about damn near everything you buy. The CNC'd heads, didn't even know if they were new or not and complained.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28

Yup, you got me. Excellent bit of sleuthing on your part there, Sherlock. Brilliant deductions abound here.

I have been nothing short of fully transparent on this matter, and have accepted full accountability for my actions as it relates to the use of my vehicle and how we go to where we are today. My issue will always remain with ****-poor customer service and a lack of vendor knowledge. If you cannot see past that, well that is on you. I know my integrity is intact.

As for highlighting the craptactular service and products I've recieved from a select few LS1tech sponsors over the years is the best counter-arguement you can use in an attempt to discredit me - well that is pretty pathetic. But, if you like paying to take it up the ***, who am I to judge?

The way I see it is if a lame-*** attempt at attacking my character is the best you have - well then I guess I've struck a pretty sensitive nerve here. Did RPM Transmissions send you? No, I am not going to go digging through your sorted post history to determine the affiliation or associated nut swinging... because honestly, past this post, you aren't worth another moment of my time.

But, thanks for your contribution.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Yup, you got me. Excellent bit of sleuthing on your part there, Sherlock. Brilliant deductions abound here.

I have been nothing short of fully transparent on this matter, and have accepted full accountability for my actions as it relates to the use of my vehicle and how we go to where we are today. My issue will always remain with ****-poor customer service and a lack of vendor knowledge. If you cannot see past that, well that is on you. I know my integrity is intact.

As for highlighting the craptactular service and products I've recieved from a select few LS1tech sponsors over the years is the best counter-arguement you can use in an attempt to discredit me - well that is pretty pathetic. But, if you like paying to take it up the ***, who am I to judge?

The way I see it is if a lame-*** attempt at attacking my character is the best you have - well then I guess I've struck a pretty sensitive nerve here. Did RPM Transmissions send you? No, I am not going to go digging through your sorted post history to determine the affiliation or associated nut swinging... because honestly, past this post, you aren't worth another moment of my time.

But, thanks for your contribution.
You're the one who repeatedly pays to take it up the *** apparently. And you're obviously swinging nuts with the moderators for talking **** about someone with no warnings, nothing.
I build and tune my own **** so I don't deal with builders, I also don't rely on relaying how to build a transmission from the internet to an actual person. Your transmission builder might act like he's ok with that, I bet he thinks you're a ***** too.
God Damn clinebarger got ripped, he did all the thinking. Who's to blame when this one fails? clineberger? the parts supplier? the actual builder? Damn know it won't be you cuz you're logging it with a transducer. What a ******* idiot.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Ok, that's enough. This thread is done. I asked for it to stay on track as a tech-only topic, and that is clearly not happening. This was already borderline (i.e. mOtOrHeAd MiKe's issue should have really been in the Feedback area, and will not be welcome in any more threads as it's obviously been beat to death already) but picked up enough good tech that we let it go for a while.

Jays_SSZ28...the name calling was too much. Please don't do this again going forward. If you can't disagree with someone without the immature comments, please just don't reply to the thread in the first place.

Quick Reply: RPM Transmission