RPM Transmission - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Automatic Transmission 4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Transmission

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM
  #1  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default RPM Transmission

So if all goes the way i thnk its gonna go ill be buying a level 5 RPM Trans 60e. Ive heard great things about them and they have been great to me. I know some of yall have their transmission any info you can give me? Like testimonies based off your ride? Any info of their 60e level 5 or any of their trans that yall delt with would be great. Im looking to make 550rwhp from a mustang dyno at most and they reccomended that trans.
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 PM
  #2  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

550rwhp will be obtained with a 100 shot on occasion, mainly if not only be using it at a drag strip
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:20 PM
  #3  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (10)
 
98redorangeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: From Ohio now in that state up north
Posts: 914
Default

I know a lot of people who have had rpm transmissions. I donít know any who have been unhappy with them they all drove and shifted great imo.
98redorangeta is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:30 PM
  #4  
Launching!
iTrader: (4)
 
That_One_Person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 239
Default

I had an RPM 4L60E in my old 94. Drove the living **** out of it not knowing the weaknesses of a 4L60E. A bit on the expensive side but it didn't give me problems in the 30k miles I had it.
That_One_Person is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:38 PM
  #5  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Nice should i get a new stall while im at it? My current stall i bought back in 09 from fti 3600 stall
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 PM
  #6  
TECH Addict
 
Game ova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,224
Default

Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Nice should i get a new stall while im at it? My current stall i bought back in 09 from fti 3600 stall
May want to contact the company. They might not want to warranty the unit with a nearly 10 year old torque converter.
Game ova is offline  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 PM
  #7  
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (3)
 
FTICONVERTERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 1,112
Default

Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Nice should i get a new stall while im at it? My current stall i bought back in 09 from fti 3600 stall
We can do a freshen up on your converter that will cost you MUCH less than purchasing a new one! converting to triple or restalling the converter while we have it open are also options.

As Game Ova also implied, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the converter at least freshened before installing it in that nice new transmission.

shoot me an email, PM, or give me a call at the shop and we can discuss options, pricing, and the restall procedures if you would like to go that route.

-Dalton
FTICONVERTERS is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 09:45 AM
  #8  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by FTICONVERTERS View Post
We can do a freshen up on your converter that will cost you MUCH less than purchasing a new one! converting to triple or restalling the converter while we have it open are also options.

As Game Ova also implied, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the converter at least freshened before installing it in that nice new transmission.

shoot me an email, PM, or give me a call at the shop and we can discuss options, pricing, and the restall procedures if you would like to go that route.

-Dalton
Will do, thank you
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM
  #9  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
mOtOrHeAd MiKe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Posts: 1,023
Default

I found RPM's customer service after the sale to be absolutely horrendous - especially once the trans died (jury is still out on the root cause). When it came time to rebuild our 4L70E I saved a small fortune going with having a local shop build it to my specs.

My point is the Level 5 RPM offers is just a few minor updates and a Trans Go shift kit for a very large sum. We binned most of the contents of our Level 5 as it is so antiquated.
mOtOrHeAd MiKe is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 PM
  #10  
TECH Enthusiast
 
ironmikektm525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 576
Default

Performabuilt here! Top notch customer service! Thx Frank and Alan!
ironmikektm525 is offline  
Old 02-12-2018, 04:55 PM
  #11  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe View Post
I found RPM's customer service after the sale to be absolutely horrendous - especially once the trans died (jury is still out on the root cause). When it came time to rebuild our 4L70E I saved a small fortune going with having a local shop build it to my specs.

My point is the Level 5 RPM offers is just a few minor updates and a Trans Go shift kit for a very large sum. We binned most of the contents of our Level 5 as it is so antiquated.
Ive tried some local shops hence why im on my 5th trans now i coyld get a level 6 if i can swing it.
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-13-2018, 10:57 PM
  #12  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
mOtOrHeAd MiKe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Ive tried some local shops hence why im on my 5th trans now i coyld get a level 6 if i can swing it.
There is nothing special about the leap from a 5 to a 6 as it relates to internal updates... just the billet shaft, IIRC. You are better off saving up once and getting real upgrades than spending 6 times on hype and empty promises.
mOtOrHeAd MiKe is offline  
Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 AM
  #13  
On The Tree
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 114
Default

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe View Post
There is nothing special about the leap from a 5 to a 6 as it relates to internal updates... just the billet shaft, IIRC. You are better off saving up once and getting real upgrades than spending 6 times on hype and empty promises.
Couldn't agree more. You're better off with an 80e, reliability wise, cost wise and makes more sense.
madmann26 is offline  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 AM
  #14  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Hmm ...
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM
  #15  
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (12)
 
Jeremy@RPMTransmissions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Anderson Indiana
Posts: 1,552
Default

Im not going to get into a pissing match over this. But as long as your vehicle is tuned properly and you use a good quality torque converter (like the FTI you have) you wont have any problems like the gentleman commenting negatively. MAC if you would like to discuss options I'd be happy to talk with you. Give me a call any time at 1-800-406-1109
Jeremy@RPMTransmissions is online now  
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 PM
  #16  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Im not going to get into a pissing match over this. But as long as your vehicle is tuned properly and you use a good quality torque converter (like the FTI you have) you wont have any problems like the gentleman commenting negatively. MAC if you would like to discuss options I'd be happy to talk with you. Give me a call any time at 1-800-406-1109
I believe we have already talked before over the phone. RPM has been very nice to me and really informative. I just wanted to hear some stories from other users is all.
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 PM
  #17  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (21)
 
sillysspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 773
Default

Thumbs up for RPM. I have had 4 different 4l60eís. Theirs shifted the quickest and most consistent. I make the 2-3 shift at 7500rpms so things have to be perfect. My car has been 9.80ís on the ls1 and RPM 4l60e.

I am going turbo now so I ordered a RPM powerglide.

I hate trans problems and a 4l60 not built just right is a temperamental little bitch. I have found local shops cannot build them for a performance application like RPM can.
sillysspeed is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 11:18 AM
  #18  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by sillysspeed View Post
Thumbs up for RPM. I have had 4 different 4l60eís. Theirs shifted the quickest and most consistent. I make the 2-3 shift at 7500rpms so things have to be perfect. My car has been 9.80ís on the ls1 and RPM 4l60e.

I am going turbo now so I ordered a RPM powerglide.

I hate trans problems and a 4l60 not built just right is a temperamental little bitch. I have found local shops cannot build them for a performance application like RPM can.
Did you do their cryogenic process?
"MAC" is offline  
Old 02-16-2018, 06:23 PM
  #19  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (21)
 
sillysspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 773
Default

Originally Posted by "MAC" View Post
Did you do their cryogenic process?


No I didnít.
sillysspeed is offline  
Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 PM
  #20  
TECH Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
"MAC"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: chattanooga Tn
Posts: 1,343
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Im not going to get into a pissing match over this. But as long as your vehicle is tuned properly and you use a good quality torque converter (like the FTI you have) you wont have any problems like the gentleman commenting negatively. MAC if you would like to discuss options I'd be happy to talk with you. Give me a call any time at 1-800-406-1109
Once my tax return comes in I'll buy the trans and get the cryogenic process as well.
"MAC" is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPM Transmission


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: