Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When converter is locked up car very slowly accelerates

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default When converter is locked up car very slowly accelerates

When ever my converter locks up around 45 to 65 MPH and then I try and give the car gas to say pass another car on the road the car accelerates very slowly. The equivlent to like 1/8th throttle. No matter if I press gas pedal to 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, or even WOT it still accelerates at the same slow speed. But once its has been locked up for awhile it will then accelerate normally. Is this normal? The car has a Vig 3600 stall and a full dyno tune and the shop who did the tune said thats what happens.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you can go to WOT and it doesn't kick down?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it sounds like your tuner doesn't know how to adjust shifting and downshifting correctly. JMHO
Old 07-07-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
so you can go to WOT and it doesn't kick down?
Yea. Its seems to kick down if I try at it a few times or if I continue to drive on for awhile. Makes it a pain in the *** to try and pass cars on the highway.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

I don't think it should be like that. When you put a stall in it should hit harder at wot no matter what speed your going. Thats one of the biggest reasons for a stall is so you don't have any dead spots. My SS3600 goes in wednesday so I don't have personal experience yet but I did a lot of research and what your explaining doesn't sound right. I would take it to another shop and see what they think.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would take it back to the 1st shop so that they dont assume someone else touched it. the symptoms your having arent sounding right. i know with my VIG, when i hit the gas it takes off like a rocket.....

J
Old 07-10-2004, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

dont mean to hijack the post but heyitsTaJay how do ya like the stall?? I think my yank kicked the can so im in the market for a new one and the one u have is what ive been thinkin... Im lookin for one that revs up pretty good under light acceleration, hits likea @#$%^&, i want it to be obvious to me that i have a stall in it... sound like thats how urs acts or shoulda i got to the 3600??
Old 07-11-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

well if your coming from a YANK which is known to be the "best" you might not be satisfied, or you might be happier than ever. i would do a search or post on how "different" it will be going from what you had to a VIG, and see if people say "go with another YANK or "yah, switch to a VIG" my personal experience with mine is awesome. it flashes the at around 3700 even though it says 3200 (vig's are known for this) i love the converter, and wouldnt trade it for the world. i think you will like it too, but i dont know what yank you had?????
good luck J