Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debris in rebuilt transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debris in rebuilt transmission

I rebuilt my transmission and after I tested it there was clutch material in the oil. I pulled it out and am now in the process of cleaning it and putting it back together.
What should I do about the tc?
There was enough material in the oil to make lines on the magnet.
Do i need to have it cut open and cleaned or is there another option?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no transmission expert but if it was mine I'd definitely have the converter cleaned (and maybe restalled) as well as the cooler and lines. Maybe a new cooler. I junked my old cooler and lines when the old 4L60E died.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I just dropped the tc off to get cleaned out and it ended up only being $60 anyway. I bought the Tru-Cool - Max LPD47391 cooler and was planning on running it in line with the old one. Should I just junk the old one and only use this? Will the aftermarket cooler alone support light towing and mountain driving?
Old 02-15-2019, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about towing and mountains but I bypassed the radiator and have had no problems in Houston heat and racing. Not a daily driver though.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:47 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A $60 cleaning might be enough to get most of the clutch material out of a converter, but if a hard-part failure creates metal debris, the converter needs to be opened, disassembled for a thorough cleaning, welded back and re-balanced. This typically costs $150-$200. At that price a stock converter is best replaced, hopefully with something better. Of course if the converter is opened, it can also be re-stalled as gesto mentioned.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Teching In

The $60 cleaning Included the tc being taken apart and he said he replaced the rubber components. Do you have an opinion about bypassing the stock cooler and just using the aftermarket one mvredit?
Old 02-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by DomQ
The $60 cleaning Included the tc being taken apart and he said he replaced the rubber components. Do you have an opinion about bypassing the stock cooler and just using the aftermarket one mvredit?
Wow, you got a great deal then for $60.
We have had 10+ threads and 200+ posts on the question of bypassing the stock cooler. There is no consensus, other than definitely running the aftermarket one after the stock one in case you decide to run both.
In cold climates, running both might have the advantage of warm the trans up quicker, but I suspect few people now drive their Gen 4 in winter conditions.
One concern with running both is that the stock radiator in a Gen 4 is 20+ years old and there have been a few reports of the trans cooler springing a leak causing radiator fluid filling the trans and destroying it.
In warmer climates, while not a consensus, the majority opinion is to only use the aftermarket cooler.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Wow, you got a great deal then for $60.
We have had 10+ threads and 200+ posts on the question of bypassing the stock cooler. There is no consensus, other than definitely running the aftermarket one after the stock one in case you decide to run both.
In cold climates, running both might have the advantage of warm the trans up quicker, but I suspect few people now drive their Gen 4 in winter conditions.
One concern with running both is that the stock radiator in a Gen 4 is 20+ years old and there have been a few reports of the trans cooler springing a leak causing radiator fluid filling the trans and destroying it.
In warmer climates, while not a consensus, the majority opinion is to only use the aftermarket cooler.
Yeah, I’ve had a great experience with my tc place. It’s Dalenzie tc’s in Oceanside, CA if anyone is searching for one in the area. I’ll go with just running the aftermarket as I live in socal and cold weather isn’t a thing. Thank you for the helpful information

Last edited by DomQ; 02-17-2019 at 10:21 PM.