Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Franks custom trans 4l60e build sheets and prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 235 Likes on 174 Posts

Debit card transactions is very simple and went smoothly, glad to have been the first customer to pay through that method and looking forward to receiving my transmission. I went back n forth with alot of people on here trying to decide what to do but decided to let frank build me a transmission!
The following 5 users liked this post by Tommy42088:
2BFAST (04-23-2024), bbond105 (02-02-2024), FranksCustomTrans (02-02-2024), Mange (02-02-2024), mrvedit (02-02-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 351 Posts

4L80E TRANS HEAVY DUTY/ PERFORMANCE BUILD 4X4 SPECIAL DEAL AVAILABLE FOR LOCAL PICKUP IN BERWICK PA ONLY, 2000 WITH NO CORE, 1800 WITH CORE, STOCK REMAN CONVERTER AVALABLE WITH 1 BUSSINESS DAY NOTICE FOR 200 EXTRA
SEE HERE, Darn caps lock argh
Facebook Post
questions use message button on facebook post

Old 03-24-2024, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Would any interest exist in a complete rebuild kit with all my mods add on hard parts and necessary tools to build 4l60e trans along with instructions ? Just curious , Instructions would be the ATSG book with penciled in changes for my mods and such . Would have all frictions, steels, wide band, rev input drum, sunshell, sprag, spring compression tool, Bushings, moded 2-3 valve and spring, Oringed servo pin modified sonnax, vette servo, sonnax od servo . solenoids machines flat new stock 3-4 apply backing plates and of course tech support online only not phone as I have to control my time ussage.
Everything you need except press for replacing or adding bushings that you would have to work out on your own.
WONT be cheap expect up in the 1500 range but a complete kit for those who seriously want to try it on their own ?
Bear in mind it would include common fixes an average person is capable of doing with what they have in thier home garage.
Just curious have not made up yet just wanted to see if worth time to do so?
And no obviously It would have no warranty beyond whatever the manufacturer of each of the parts might offer. Which honestly is Generally none in my experience.

Last edited by mrvedit; 03-24-2024 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Change color to black for easier reading
Old 03-24-2024, 11:50 AM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Frank, the $1500 price would seem very high to most people, so you might want to make a more basic kit available too. Dana has long had kits, but my understanding is that he is every more "retired". I suspect kits would sell on FB and Ebay.
Of course you have to ask yourself if you would make enough money on a kit, after time of order processing, shipping and dealing with inevitable "support".
The following users liked this post:
FranksCustomTrans (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Frank, the $1500 price would seem very high to most people, so you might want to make a more basic kit available too. Dana has long had kits, but my understanding is that he is every more "retired". I suspect kits would sell on FB and Ebay.
Of course you have to ask yourself if you would make enough money on a kit, after time of order processing, shipping and dealing with inevitable "support".
yes just something I was thinking of as I see many ask at various places about this but none that really offers it all, But bear in mind we are talking several tools also plus atsg book modified , plus 3-2 valve and rev drum and sprag and lots more. Have not even put together sources and cost yet more just a curiousity if it would be worth my while overall. Might actually need to cost more. I am not sure yet. Just idea playing arround with for now.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't dare try this but maybe there is some that would. The difference in cost in just letting you do the work instead of me is an obvious choice
Old 03-24-2024, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
I wouldn't dare try this but maybe there is some that would. The difference in cost in just letting you do the work instead of me is an obvious choice
The would be more geared to the person who simply wanted to learn or say they did it themselves, Honestly trying to do it yourself to save money is likely losing proposition in most cases I have noticed .
Mistake happen risk is there even with the best instructions or instruction,
In fact That is the very first thing I would tell someone , If you are doing this to save money you will likly fail. If they are in a hurry or have no patience for redoing things not for them. But If they really want to do it themselves to learn or just to say they did, This it will be solid kit with ll they need not hoving to chase stuff arround.

Tommy42088 (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
The would be more geared to the person who simply wanted to learn or say they did it themselves, Honestly trying to do it yourself to save money is likely losing proposition in most cases I have noticed .
Mistake happen risk is there even with the best instructions or instruction,
In fact That is the very first thing I would tell someone , If you are doing this to save money you will likly fail. If they are in a hurry or have no patience for redoing things not for them. But If they really want to do it themselves to learn or just to say they did, This it will be solid kit with ll they need not hoving to chase stuff arround.
understood, I know my limitations and Im pretty comfortable with that .
Old 03-24-2024, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

I don't think $1500 is a bad price. Has anyone noticed how high the prices of trans rebuild parts has gotten. Just the parts in my 4L60 trans were close to that and that does not include the input drum or shafts.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bbond105
I don't think $1500 is a bad price. Has anyone noticed how high the prices of trans rebuild parts has gotten. Just the parts in my 4L60 trans were close to that and that does not include the input drum or shafts.
YES typically i end up with at or near 1000 even in my base builds . I was thinking like I would include all but the actualt master kit , but would include my 3-4 set and wide band and other stuff I mentioned, Basically would include all to make it a high performance unit and address the home adressable issues.

Most recently I was playing with the TG and Sonnax Boost valves , I find the sonnax valves it real easy to tear the tiny rubber seals but by machining a wider groove with a thicker oring makes this far less likely also added them to some stock valves and even the TG valve sleeve. Though on the TG only the outter seal as theyre not enough meat to cut inner seals but in all cases with even dry air test O leaks in the stock and sonnax valve with 0 tears even with multiple remove installs.

Also did same cut and same with the servo pin and replaced the teflons with rubber orings and made a huge difference, (Have noted a massive amount of leakage at the pin fourth feed in virtually every case even with the little teflons , With this 0, Cannot speak to long term yet but test with pin bore and orings dry I stroked 200 times with air had 0 leaks and no damage to oring ) I figured dry would abuse them the most, Used the green coated rings as they said were suitable for hydraulic fluild and oil but not brake fluild.

Also was thinking about endcap plugs for the valve bores and how easily they tear due to sharp edges and may experement with using oring that are suitable to brake fluild but are stationary as the brake fluid style would swell when exposed to trans fluild normally a problem you would not want, but in this purpose that would be pefect as the seals could start out equal to the cap size so no tears but would swell and seal when exposed to trans oil sealing tight. Did some peliminary test soaking with them in bore and desired effect acheived , They leaked a little at start but after a few hours even at 170psi air presure 0 leaks and stuck solid in bore very hard to remove which is a good thing means they worked as I expected / Right now have some just soaking in trans fluid to see what the break down time is so far two weeks they swelled yes but only to a point and nothing more has happened. As long as they only swell should be no issue and break down in reality should stop to as soon as the seal up and can no longer take on fluid.

Sorry again me blabbering lol

Last edited by FranksCustomTrans; 03-25-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,250 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Regarding Member PBA "Pro-Built Automatics/ Dana"...

We speak often and He seems to still be going at it on a daily basis.

The following 2 users liked this post by vorteciroc:
bbond105 (03-26-2024), FranksCustomTrans (03-25-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Old 04-21-2024, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado 4-450Hp

STAGE 3 4L60E BUILD UP TO 900 RWHP BASED ON A 4000LB CAR

this bad boy, I’d like to purchase on and have it shipped to me in Vancouver BC. That doable?

my truck started as a 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 w/LM7. I have so far swapped EVERYTHING except the cab.
L33 swap, Volante dual scoop CAI, long tube headers, 3” to dual 2.5” out stainless steel exhaust, cat delete, 05 front diff, heavy duty cv joints, hydroboost brakes, all new brake lines, fuel lines, evap, fuel pump, 1500HD leaf springs, 6” lift, helical locker rear diff, 3.73’s, 33” tires, 02 box, 01 front end, 01 interior, custom leather seats, 05’ subwoofer center console, Escalade steering wheel, remote start, passive keyless entry, Bluetooth deck and 12” sub. Oh and satin black custom paint job

i want to put a summit big truck torkinator in with 35lb/hr injectors and a 2600 stall, but I know I’m going to rip the stock 4l60 in half lol. Your stage three sounds like one badass transmission, you think it’s the way to go?

EDIT- forgot to mention I swapped everything onto a new frame, I had it sandblasted stripped and epoxied first

Last edited by Escalado; 04-21-2024 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Escalado
STAGE 3 4L60E BUILD UP TO 900 RWHP BASED ON A 4000LB CAR

this bad boy, I’d like to purchase on and have it shipped to me in Vancouver BC. That doable?

my truck started as a 99 Silverado 1500 4x4 w/LM7. I have so far swapped EVERYTHING except the cab.
L33 swap, Volante dual scoop CAI, long tube headers, 3” to dual 2.5” out stainless steel exhaust, cat delete, 05 front diff, heavy duty cv joints, hydroboost brakes, all new brake lines, fuel lines, evap, fuel pump, 1500HD leaf springs, 6” lift, helical locker rear diff, 3.73’s, 33” tires, 02 box, 01 front end, 01 interior, custom leather seats, 05’ subwoofer center console, Escalade steering wheel, remote start, passive keyless entry, Bluetooth deck and 12” sub. Oh and satin black custom paint job

i want to put a summit big truck torkinator in with 35lb/hr injectors and a 2600 stall, but I know I’m going to rip the stock 4l60 in half lol. Your stage three sounds like one badass transmission, you think it’s the way to go?

EDIT- forgot to mention I swapped everything onto a new frame, I had it sandblasted stripped and epoxied first
Yes this can be done I use UPS ground , I will warn you however some of the cross border fees can be quite high, It would be better to ship to someplace US side and travel over and get it . If you want one please feel free to PM me or message me on my facebook frankcustomtrans I am about 4 weeks out at present, just to note ,

Old 05-21-2024, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

STAGE 2 4L60E BUILD

Just some photos of a build

bbond105 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
STAGE 2 4L60E BUILD

Just some photos of a build
Thank you for always sharing Frank.

2 Notes...

-Towards the end of my Business, some of the Bushings for the THM200-4R never fit correctly.
I would use the Old Fashioned Blind Bushing Pullers to remove good Bushings without any damage to them.
Send them to DuraBond to be precision cut... also I would have them made wider where needed.

I had the Bushing in the top Image special made in a wider version for the Reaction Tube.
You have to get about 500 of them made, but it is an option.

-Second, I do NOT recommend using that TransGo PR Valve.
I don't want to change the Topic of your Thread getting into Tech about why I dislike that Valve.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, how well do the little O-Rings on the Servo Apply Pin hold up?

I have never tried those from the Seal-Kit...
I like the Sold-Teflons from the THM200-4R Seal Kit better.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

My impala has had them for 22k miles , And I just tore a unit down I did when I first started this with around 30k miles The customer sent for a refresh before racing season . Many miles he drives all around east coast to strips , The orings showed no signs of issues. I did do some test before using them with a dry bore and stiff spring for return in bare case I stroked them far beyond what the would ever see travel wise 250 times and saw no evidence of wear. After that my logic was they are sealed in that groove by the bore so if in happenstance they do break down or wear over time they will remain contained in the groove by the bore so at worse scenario they will just stop adding the extra sealing they presently provide.
This is my first time using the TG PR valve , I got it because I ordered a pump online and was missing the valve so cant really comment on it except it should serve its purpose .

Thanks for your comments and always open to ideas and suggestions, Just note the little orings are actually the once that are used in the cooler line fittings so should be well up to air.. fluid and high temp with the right cut of groove they are a perfect fit . and do eliminate totally what i have found to be a substantial leak of 4th oil .
I played arround with the teflon rings but never could get a real great seal with them. even heating the bore to help with sizing.

Note a set of tiny drings would be perfect if something like them were made

Last edited by FranksCustomTrans; 05-21-2024 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FranksCustomTrans:
bbond105 (05-21-2024), vorteciroc (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

In regard to the Sealing characteristics between different types of Seals and Different Material Seals...

On the Intermediate Servo:

I find the Scarf-Cut Teflon Rings to be inferior at sealing on an Assembly Air-Check Test of the Servo Circuits.
But ONLY in that one scenario!
Also Air-Check Testing during Transmission assembly is not the best indicator of Actual Sealing Characteristics.
In the Hot Wet Operating Environment of the Running Transmission the Actual Sealing Characteristics differ greatly!!!

The Scarf-Cut Teflon Rings actually Seal VERY WELL and will last a very long time!

By Comparison, the D-Rings actually are superior at sealing on an Assembly Air-Check Test of the Servo Circuits.

However the D-Rings do not come close to comparing in regards to wear and tear/ longevity.
Regardless of different materials: Viton, Nitrile, Silicons, Vamac, or EPR/ EPDM...
They don't compare to the PTFE Scarf-Cut Rings.

I would use the Scarf-Cut Teflon Rings in a Unit that has a Perfect Servo Bore in regard to Surface and Dimensions...
Or a Unit that will not be refreshed often.

I would use the D-rings in a situation with Sub-Optimal Servo Bore Conditions...
And will be refreshed more often.

One benefit to using a Sonnax Intermediate Servo...
Is the Dual Grooves for Bore Seals.

I can use one of the Supplied D-Rings in one Groove...
And I can Size a SOLID Teflon Sealing-Ring in the Other Groove.
Best of both Worlds.

bbond105 (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I too have done the d-ring scarf cut on the sonnax servo i liked it not just for sealing but the dual drings seemed to make alot of drag . SO yes best of both worlds

bbond105 (05-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Franks custom trans 4l60e build sheets and prices