Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you like to see addressed in the TH400 FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mario89
5 pages and no one yet asked or answered about the crossmember for th400,, what year crossmember froma 6 speed will work on the th400 conversion, its for a lt1..and if someone has a part number it be great, no one seems to know this at gm..

For what it is worth I am using my cross member. It is a 02. It should be the same for all of them I believe. A buddy of mine just did his and used some spacers and long bolts. Makes for a real strong platform. No give at all.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

I found this below:

#61. Crossmember fits 1993 - 2002 F-Body Camaros and Firebirds. Replace your 4L60E transmission in a Camaro or Firebird with a 400 transmission. Fits LS1 type motor, moves the crossmember to the correct position for the 400 transmission mount (4 inch tail housing). Cost $66.00

#61X. Spacer to raise the 400 transmission to the correct height. Cost $37.00

Website I found it at http://www.400raptor.com/

Edit: I don't know what the hell is up with the color, I couldn't see it till I made it Blue!

Dan

Last edited by DanZ28; 08-20-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Understand your predicament. If close is good enough then you can just use somebody elses measurement and u-joint to u-joint will work for that. If your making your own measurement, I don't see how u-joint to u-joint will work unless you know measurements for the slip yoke your self and calculte that in there. There is already posted in this thread DS lengths from TH400 to 12 bolt and 9 in. They are not u-joint to u-joint but any DS maker should be able to use that measurment to make your DS in case someone doesn't post it up. I'm glad shops down here don't charge me to let my car sit till a part comes in .
Your missing the point... its a standard fitment, nothing being relocated. The transmissions are in the same in location and the rear is also. Just as it would be from the factory if they came with a th400. They don't measure the length for each car from the factory and they may vary slightly. Its my shop, I do my own work, so with the rack tied up, I can't make money.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gd1996
Your missing the point... its a standard fitment, nothing being relocated. The transmissions are in the same in location and the rear is also. Just as it would be from the factory if they came with a th400. They don't measure the length for each car from the factory and they may vary slightly. Its my shop, I do my own work, so with the rack tied up, I can't make money.
I see, sorry for missing the point. So, what you want is just a measurement of the stock DS u-joint to u-joint? What transmission do you have? short tail or long tail? I have a short tail TH400. I can crawl under and see if I can measure it on the car. Will an on the car measurement be close enough for ya?

Dan
Old 08-20-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

I don't have a 12 bolt... so no help. Tell me where you ever see driveshafts for sale with the over all length. All I want to do is order one, next week put in the trans, hook up the ds and go. I have other cars to build, of mine own and customers. I don't see why a simple question about the length is a problem.
Go to dennys and look at the " how to measure correctly" and follow the instructions. You can see they care less about u-joint to u-joint measurements. I don't know how everyone else does it by my local shop here used the same measurements as Dennys does. Luckily they built mine in one day and it was a local pick up. Spohn has them pre-made, call them up ans see what they say. There is a thread just posted recently about someone buying an off the shelf from spohn and it didn't fit at all, was to short.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-22-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Since mine was up on ramps already I took my measument if it helps you. I have a short tail TH400 and a Strange 12 bolt. I measure center of u-joint to center of u-joint at 44 3/8", to be safe you could go 44 1/4 inch to give a little lee way in case mine fits a bit tighter than yours would. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the 12 bolt and 9 in. should line up in the same place.

Dan

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-22-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TondSS
drive shaft lenth for my short-tail(4 inch) th-400 output shaft to the u-joint off the 9 inch was 47 1/2 inces long. for anyone intrested! i know people have been asking!
No problem, let me know what you find out. I know my set up and TondSS (above) with a 9 inch was only an 1/8 of an inch difference between us (mine was 47 3/8") for the same type measurement.

Dan
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I did notice that. I deal more with mopars and the typical swap I do is 8-3/4 to a dana 60 and there is a full inch difference.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stroked 68
what about the length of a drive shaft from a TH400 to a moser 9"?
I had spohn make my shaft, I didnt fit it in yet but hes made them before, mines 44 center of the U joint to center of the U joint, thats for a th400 4 inch tail moser 9 inch strange stainless yoke.

Originally Posted by NEVR2ND
Th400 with 4in tail will bolt right on to the T-56 crossmember. Use some washers or a 1X1 piece of square tube as a shim to raise the tail to the proper level. Use the longer Lockar 36" dipstick. B&M Hammer shifter bolts in and works good in the M6 location.
spohn also makes a spacer block that you can use, you drill 2 new holes in your crossmember and you can use a standard energy suspension mount on there. I went with a BMR tubular mount, I dont like that cheesy stamped steel stuff having a transbrake installed in mine.

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
What is the average cost of going from a 4L60E to a TH400 from start to finish? Using a Rossler or similarly priced tranny. Not counting labor either, just all the parts.
heres just a little idea of some of the parts

trans/converter
ATI TH400 RMVB w/brake
ATI treemaster MRT converter
trans cooler with fan 2719.10

BMR mount 170
hammer shifter 200
speed sensor and ring 130
madman dipstick ?? I forget and dont have a slip from them
torque arm if you dont have one 400

so im already at 3619.10 right there and thats not everything, you need the flexplate I got all ARP bolts for everything, if you had an auto car you need the 6 speed consel or just hack your auto one up but I wanted mine to look nice, at least with an LT1 set up you dont have to deal with spacers like the LS guys do, it a bolt up and go deal off the engine.

Originally Posted by reject
what dose everyone like to use as a shifter?
I used a B&M hammer, I did a little work to a stock 6 speed cover and made mine look stock.

as for all the talk about drive shaft length, the right way to have one made is to get your yoke install it and take a center to center measurement, people like dennys and the like want a tail to yoke so they know what there doing every yoke is a little diffrent and they want to know where they are at from the tail shaft so they know where the yoke will have to sit on the shaft, so if you have your yoke you can give a U joint to U joint, if you dont tail to yoke is the best way to go.

Last edited by lethal93ta; 09-24-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you ever have to take that console apart (for whatever reason) snap some pics of how you modified it. looks very clean, i'd like to see what you did underneath.. how does that shifter select gears, do you pull up on it or just click the head, move the whole shifter back...? im new to this ****

basically is it locked in 1st till you do something to open the gate to 2nd gear or is 1-2 open, then it locks in 2nd and you have to "do something" to open the gate to 3rd.. tia
I cut about a 1/2 inch off the top of the leather boot folded it back down in again and sewed it back together to make the peice for the hammer shifter fit in there nice.

as far as the shifter its a normal T handle, theres a lever right under you fingers you pull up on to shift out of reverse and you have to pull it up to go back up into reverse from drive. other than that its a ratchet shifter, I have a RMVB so I pull back for 2nd and 3rd gears.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-22-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

my swap is all done.

notes=

you don't need to splice ANY wires on the transmission for an a4 car. reverse lights and neutral saftey sw. work fine. didn't do the speedo wires to the abs yet but that is the route im gonna take for the speedo.

using the stock shifter for now. cut out the gate completly but it is still notchy from 2-3 so it takes a little more pressure to pull it back. did this WITH the shifter in the car, took 10 minutes. if i had pulled it out i could've made it gated from 2-3 but i didn't have time.

yank crossmember did NOT fit the holes in the body of the car. i had to grind them out a good amount to get them to line up.

you need a turbo 400 transmission mount, not a stock/ 4l60e one. sounds stupid but i didn't know this so i didn't have one.

the driver's side 02 sensor on my header was hitting the linkage, so i bent the collector in a tiny bit with a hammer for clearance.

driveshaft was 45.5 " from center to center of the yokes. got the stock steel one modified by a truck parts place for now. when i get a good rear im gonna get a denny's driveshaft but for now the stocker is fine.

hope this stuff helps
Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone mentioned that you can use a stock 6-spd crossmember with a TH400?? All you have to do is drill 2 holes in it..
Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

A stock M6 PCM can be used but it will need to have some perameters changed for the speedo if you have a VSS sensor installed on the TH400.

A stock TH400 will bolt up to the right flexplate, but the TC snout will be to short and you have to use spacers. Several companies make TC's with the right snout for this conversion so you won't need any spacers.

It has been mentioned here in this thread that the stock M6 crossmember will work, but you need to have a TA that mounts to the more rear body area. I like my adjustable BMR TA in the stock location mounted to a Yank cross memeber.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

has anybody taken the tail shaft off of a 4l60 and swapped it onto a th350/400? i have a friend that swapped his 700r4 tail with a th350 tail, and it worked fine. does anybody have input on this?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a 4l60 and th350 both have the same spline output shaft, the TH400 is a lot bigger.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Default crank adapter

there is a co. in fla. that makes a crank adapter that makes your LS type crank look like a early crank. you can use the early flex plate and your stock length torque converter 350/400 will fit with the th350-400 trans. l hope that is helpful john Merry Christmas all
Old 01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone know what wires in the shifter harness on a 2000 Camaro are for reverse lights and neutral safety switch? Tried a search...but I suck at em.
more info here https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&page=5&pp=20 just scroll threw..

Dan

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-22-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Leave it to the internet to mis-interpret something!

I thought I was being helpful bro and obviously didn't come out right. I have already done all this stuff and found the wiring info on that thread most helpful to me.

I pulled this out of the same thread I posted about, I believe everything you would want to know is in that thread, you just have to read through a bunch of pages like I did to find it for you:
purple w/ white stripe and the dark green Wires should be used for your Neutral safety switch
&
light green and brown wires are for the reverse lights.

These wires are in your center console area on a connector of 6 wires, the other two wires are the orange w/ black stripe and the black wires, connect them directly together for the hatch release to work.

Hope thats what your looking for .

Dan
Old 01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadAssFast
In the middle of a 4L60E > TH400 swap...trying to help of my mechanic: Anyone know what wires in the shifter harness on a 2000 Camaro are for reverse lights and neutral safety switch? Tried a search...but I suck at em.

I saw that. I'm trying to handle the B&M Pro Ratchet shifter's spst momentary switches for each function. I'm a bit confused by this info. Thanks.
If you are swapping a 4L60E to TH400 and you have a spst switch on your shifter for both REVERSE LIGHTS and PARK/NEUTRAL SAFETY you can simly take the 6 wire plug in the factory shifter and use

the purple + dark green wires for a spst momentary Park/Neutral Safety switch

and

the brown + light green for the spst momentary reverse lights switch.

and

i need to get the colors...the remaining two wires in the 6 pin plug that plugged into the shifter on the 4L60E shifter get twisted together and you retain rear hatch pop. (Because every race car (err um school bus) needs a remote activated rear hatch.

Last edited by BadAssFast; 01-18-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry to be redundant in any questioning but has it been determined what to do for the Traction Arm??? Can I just use my stock one and buy a relocation crossmember with a driveshaft loop??? That's pretty much the only big question that I have left to decide if I want to do this or not... Thanks, Chris
yes you should be able to use the stock torque arm and just use a crossmember that has the torque arm mount.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-22-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see addressed in the TH400 FAQ?