Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to improve 2-3 shift, 4L60E-HD2-B kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to improve 2-3 shift, 4L60E-HD2-B kit installed

I have a 2002 camaro SS with 28,000 miles. I'd like to firm up the shifts so I installed the TransGo 4L60E-HD2-B kit. It has a stock converter so I used their recommended hole sizes for the second and third feed holes, most other holes were already the size they instruct to drill to.

One question is, to get a firmer 2-3 shift should I increase the feed hole size, or get into the trans and reduce clutch clearance? Or something else.

It had the 093 servo so I reused it and installed the extra spring, also used both gold shims.

I was wondering where I could get the aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston also, or can the housing and piston interchange with the old 4L60 style?

Can the accumulator feed hole in the case be blocked like in the 700R4 2&3 kit? to firm up fourth.

Also it says torque management may need to be modified when using this kit. How will I know for sure if it needs to be changed?

Basically at light throttle 1-2 is ok, 2-3 is too soft and 3-4 is almost un-noticeable. At heavier throttle 1-2 firms up, 2-3 is delayed and slow, 3-4 is weak.
At wot 1-2 is strong, 2-3 is about how I'd like it to be at light throttle and 3-4 is just noticeable.

Sorry for all the questions, i can give more information if needed, Thanks for reading.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:25 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question is, to get a firmer 2-3 shift should I increase the feed hole size, or get into the trans and reduce clutch clearance? Or something else? You can increase the 3rd gear feed hole size to .125" with the stock torque converter.
I was wondering where I could get the aluminum 1-2 accumulator piston also, or can the housing and piston interchange with the old 4L60 style? Yes, you can use the aluminum from an earlier 4L60E.
Can the accumulator feed hole in the case be blocked like in the 700R4 2&3 kit? to firm up fourth. Yes, and increase the feed hole size to .125".
Also, it says torque management may need to be modified when using this kit. How will I know for sure if it needs to be changed? If it falls flat on its face after the modifications.
It had the 093 servo so I reused it and installed the extra spring, also used both gold shims. I guess you had enough band clearance to use 2 gold shims. This does not happen very often, (using both shims that is).
If you have any questions on this, let me know?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Banned

Thanks Pro Built
It did need the two shims for the servo, the band was still loose and the servo cover could be pushed in just short of 1/8" with them installed.

What can I expect with the large feed holes? It says third .093 to .101 and second .093 with high stall converter or race only.
I don't think I even drilled them, second was at .082 and third was at .093 (which is what they instruct with stock converter).

Also on the 1-2 accumulator, my housing is deeper than the old 700R4 style. I read on here somewhere that you suggest using one shim only for street. Well one shim in the tall housing makes it exactly the same depth as the older style short housing. So I should use the short housing with one shim? I would just change the piston but the pin hole is smaller.

Today I am going to pull it back apart and make changes using your suggestions in the above reply.

I will put in a 700R4 accumulator housing because I thats all I have for spares, and use one shim, Probably drill second to .110, and drill third and fourth to .125.
Should that make shifts noticeable at light throttle and firm at heavier throttle? And most important will it get rid of the long drawn out 2-3 shift?

Sorry again for the questions, I really appreciate the help more than you can imagine. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Banned

Ok, I got it done and it turned out good.
The first hole sizes were either stock or as the kit instructed for a street car with stock converter.
Here are the changes.
The second feed was .082, now it's .093.
Third was .093 now it's .110. I don't know what to do because you say .125 and TransGo says .101 Max, and they say that for race only with high stall so I thought to go in between.
Forth was .100 now it's .110 and I blocked the fourth accumulator feed.
I also used a 700R4 1-2 accumulator with one spacer and the TG springs.

It shifts good, firm 1-2.
2-3 and 3-4 shifts are clean with very short shift duration.
Normal driving light throttle I can tell when it shifts. Firmness increases with throttle.
I just can't believe enlarging the holes that much didn't do more, I'm used to 700's, th350's, th400's on those such small changes seem to make a difference. Thanks again.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Restricted User

On 700R4's & 4L60E's I drill the 3rd gear feed to .125" - .155" with a stock torque converter & .155" - .187" 3rd gear feed for the 9.5" torque converter. The band release has to match the larger feed holes. I drill the release to .110" - .116" with 3rd gear feed hole sizes of .155" or more. All of this information is when using a Corvette servo.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

I installed a transgo kit in my 700R4 to firm up the 2-3 at wot, which it did but now it is slow on the 2-3 at low or part throttle. The 1-2 & 3-4 are fine. I shimmed the servo with 2 thick & 1 thin shim and used 1 washer in the accumulator and followed the instructions for the rest of the installation. I also have a pro-torque 2400 stall 10 1/2" converter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by M93Z
I installed a transgo kit in my 700R4 to firm up the 2-3 at wot, which it did but now it is slow on the 2-3 at low or part throttle. The 1-2 & 3-4 are fine. I shimmed the servo with 2 thick & 1 thin shim and used 1 washer in the accumulator and followed the instructions for the rest of the installation. I also have a pro-torque 2400 stall 10 1/2" converter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
I've messed around quite a bit with the 700R4's, they have the same gear train as the 4L60E.

I've found the best thing you can do to get the 2-3 shift right is tighten up the 3-4 clutch pack to .030-.040 clearance. I would do it to my camaro but.....
I had a V-8 S-10 with a 700 in it that worked great, then I changed the heads and cam, after that 2-3 would slip due to the added power. I did nothing but pull the trans, adjust the 3-4 from stock .090 specs to .035 and it was night and day difference.

If you read the above posts you'll find that I installed my shift kit and it didn't make much of a difference. So I took Pro Builts advice, took the VB back out and drilled the 3rd feed hole bigger, bigger than what the kit instructs to drill to.
It made it a lot better.

So my first suggestion would be to install an aftermarket 3-4 clutch pack set to .030-.040, then drill the feed hole.
If you don't want to take the trans out I would suggest removing the VB and drilling the 3rd feed hole to .125.
You should also increase the second gear servo release bigger.
The backside of the servo gets 3rd accumulator oil to help push the band off and time the 2-3 shift.
Maybe Pro Built can recommend a hole size for that, and verify that what I'm saying is on track.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

The instructions stated to drill separator plate hole ["A" 3RD] to .157 which is what I did. Is that the 3RD feed hole that you referenced? Also I don't know which hole is the band release that Pro Built mentioned. I'm not comfortable going into the trans for clutches.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Banned

Are you using a 700 2&3 kit?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

It is the kit with the video that allows either full manual or auto, I didn't do any of the manual mods. Is the 2&3 kit something different? What is funny is the kit corrected the wot problem but loosened up the the part throttle shift. The car is a 93 LT1 [w/60K mostly highway] that I've had since new.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Banned

Sounds like you have the kit I was thinking of.
Did you put the converter in it the same time as the shift kit?
A higher stall speed will make shifts softer when you're driving below the stall speed.
I'm about out of ideas for now.
You may want to open up another thread and posts this, it's been a little slow today anyway with the holiday and all.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

I put the converter in a couple of months before the shift kit and it really woke the car up but didn't adversely affect the shifts. Also when I've changed the fluid & filter over the years the pan has always been pretty clean. It's not slipping and the shift does tighten up with a lot of throttle so I hope it's just a minor adjustment. I'd rather spend the money on a 12 bolt and get a tranny later. If someone else doesn't jump in I guess I'll start a new thread. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Quick Reply: Need to improve 2-3 shift, 4L60E-HD2-B kit installed