Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny Cooler Line Popped Off!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny Cooler Line Popped Off!!!!!!!!!!

this morning it was below 0 out so it started my car to let it warm up, like most other mornings. after a 1/2 hour i went to leave for work, so i put my car in reverse and nothing: drive nothing. so i started to get a little concerned. i tried running through the gears to see if it would do anything. again nothing. i popped the hood and could see something squirting so i shut the car off. i found the cooler line from my radiator to my B&M cooler had popped off. when i got home from work this afternoon i went to fix the line. got the hose back on and tightened the clamp then started to put fluid in . after 7 quarts its right about where it needs to be . so i take it for a ride and it seems fine. does anyone think i hurt it real bad??????
Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont meant to hijack your thread but is there another way to secure the lines to the cooler besides clamps, i have the 70264 cooler and found that the "in" line was really close to coming off the fittings.. are there any adapter i can get for this?
Old 12-20-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
this morning it was below 0 out so it started my car to let it warm up, like most other mornings. after a 1/2 hour i went to leave for work, so i put my car in reverse and nothing: drive nothing. so i started to get a little concerned. i tried running through the gears to see if it would do anything. again nothing. i popped the hood and could see something squirting so i shut the car off. i found the cooler line from my radiator to my B&M cooler had popped off. when i got home from work this afternoon i went to fix the line. got the hose back on and tightened the clamp then started to put fluid in . after 7 quarts its right about where it needs to be . so i take it for a ride and it seems fine. does anyone think i hurt it real bad??????
Being that it was so cold out, and being that your car did not move, you could be OK. When the weather warms up a little, you will know if it starts to slip in any of the speeds. Do you get any "burnt" smell on trans dipstick? Either "double clamp" the hoses, or buy the tool that puts a little "ridge" on the tubing that will help keep the hose from coming off again. WJ
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My lines have been trying to come off lately. They are over 2yrs old, I guess they are wearing out. I was warming my car up in the garage to change the oil, when I came back out I had about 3qts on the ground b/c a line popped off. No damage done, it didn't get to low, just a cheap version of a trans flush. lol. I'm going to buy new lines, places like Autozone should carry them.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nsty98LS1
Damage would depend on how long you had no trans fluid. Alot of people don't realize that the trans pump and the converter constantly have fluid going through them for lubrication, if the pump and converter were spinning for 30 minutes without lube, not good. Other than that nothing would be damaged, no clutches or band could be damaged without fluid, because no pressure could be applied.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

there had to be some fluid in it because i know if they have none it takes 10 or more to fill or so i read somewhere. i did not hear it whining like a pump would without fluid and so far so good. also both before i started to put fluid back into it and after i refilled it the fluid did not smell burnt. just smelled like ATF. i guess i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Just rubber lines from the trans cooler to the cut transmission tubing lines is Mickey Mouse....Earl's and other mfg. make braided stainless tube w/adapter fittings that make a nice, neat job. There are some tracks where tech will not let you run w/those mini-hose-clamped flimsy rubber hoses from trans cooler..... One of those lines blows off on the starting line and blasts a quick 2 or 3 qts. of tranny fluid out, you're gonna have a ton of people ready to string you up by the *****.....That'll usually take 1 or 2 hours to clean up a mess like that....Makes track personnel VERY MAD. WJ
Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The B&M kits do not requre cutting the lines, they come with brass fittings for the line and the radiator. still, the hoses like to walk off after a couple years with the weak hose clamps
Old 12-20-2004, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

i know what you mean WJ. i was actually going to do braided stainless and correct fittings when i was installing this, but the trans cooler only has the slip fit type nipple on it did not want to have fittings at one end and a clamp at the other. this is the first time i have ever seen a tranny line do this and trust me it was enough to make me sick in the stomach.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Like I said, Earl's and someone else makes a little tool, similar to a flaring tool, that enables you to crimp a little bead down a short distance from the end of the metal tube. When clamped, it prevents the hose AND clamp from slipping of end of tubing. If you don't have access to the tool, at least double-clamp the thing. There's no high pressure there--usually the trans fluid softens the rubber hose over time, or car vibration loosens the stainless worm clamp......and then the line blows off. It can really spoil your day...... WJ
Old 12-20-2004, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

it about ruined my day thats for sure. i'm gonna look into that tool and try to prevent this from ever happening again.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

I had this happen to me. Did you buy the b&m kit with the installtion hardware inside? I did and used the clamps that came with them. After a month later the clamps failed and i was pouring tranny fluid all over the road until my car started to rev up an didnt go anyware. I was so pissed. Ive heard this happening to a couple of other guys also. They also used the clamps that b&m provided. I now have a fear that this will happen again so i go under my car and check all the hoses and clamps for slack before i go anwere now.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Nice thread, i'll be checking my clamps more often now
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

i know i'll be checking my clamps for a couple of weeks, until i can revise the whole tranny cooler line setup.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I am a Mickey Mouse person too. That's how I added in my B&M. And the same result. Fluid running down the side of the street. F*ck. I put 4 clamps on the lines after that.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Are you guys tightening your band clamps with a screw driver or ratchet? I've always found that a screw driver/nut driver never get them tight enough. Tighten the clamps with a socket and ratchet until the outside of the rubber hose actually comes through the slots in the clamp. Mine B&M clamps have been on for a few years with no issues, cold weather and hot.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was with a screwdriver the first time I think. This time was a socket and a ratchet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler Line Popped Off!!!!!!!!!!