Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YANK'S new line of transmission crossmembers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yank
We have sold over 125 of these and there are many cars that have run our 350/400 conversion kits since 1999 all of these use or torque mount system
I have owned a race chassis shop and have 15 years in chassis fab.
Our orginal design of crossmember was taken to BMR back in 1999
an was COPIED, but shortly after that we changed our design to better support the higher power levels
There is no torque load applied to the transmission case or rear mount, all energy is send to the chassis, this allows the front body to lift and plant the rear tires.
an added feature is that on cornering that the rear will stay in place better and not push the trans to the side and change rear alignment

Thanks for the information.

Not that it really matters but after reading your post I still do not see how you’re cross member is “stronger” than other cross members.

I thought this cross member was a new design as the title of the post states "YANK'S new line of transmission crossmembers " and you have already sold 125 of them. That is great! Business is good.

So I guess these are these available now.

Thanks again for the info.

John
Old 02-12-2005, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our main support beam is a 2''x1'' .120 wall tubing this is stronger and will not deform as a bent piece or 1 5/8'' .083 tube will with a torque load from hard 60's and quick braking.
for just a transmission hanger this will not make much differance but with the torque arm attached this is important..
We have added 2 new models and made them lighter and stronger.
also we had stopped making them during our move, so they had been removed from or site
Thank's for asking these important ?'s

Mike
Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said your piece has been redesigned to accept the "popular" torque arms out there, but it didn't directly answer my question. Will it indeed fit with a G2 arm? $300 is a lot to spend to just be wasting my time and having to send it back...know what I mean?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

if it fits in the stock location and in stock bracket, it will work

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
You said your piece has been redesigned to accept the "popular" torque arms out there, but it didn't directly answer my question. Will it indeed fit with a G2 arm? $300 is a lot to spend to just be wasting my time and having to send it back...know what I mean?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any insight into why this is? I just don't see how it would work mounted to the tailshaft but not to this piece?

Damn...that really sucks. I don't want to have to send back this torque arm just so I can use it...maybe I'll just learn to live with broken tailshafts.
I know from first hand experience

LG uses a completely different mount then most other TA's. It's solid and replaces the entire stock piece with a new one that you bolt to the tranny.

The Yank and BMR crossmembers have their own mount built in and you get rid of the mount attached to the tranny. The LG arm is the only full length TA that I know of that won't work with the crossmembers.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Launching!

will it work with a non ajustable torque arm with out messing with the pinion angle?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Finally! Someone builds a crossmember for a 4L80
As soon as it's time this summer, I'll know where to shop
Old 02-13-2005, 09:02 AM

Thank's for asking these important ?'s

Mike

No problem. Thanks for answering them.

John
Old 02-13-2005, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slow98Z
will it work with a non ajustable torque arm with out messing with the pinion angle?
The torque arm mounts in the same plane as stock and will not cause changes in pinion angles as the stock unit does, as it is mounted solid.
The stock unit moves upward and downward on accl. and braking and allows for pinion angle changes as there is aprox 2.5 '' of movement at the transmission tail housing plus, an offcenter twist on drivetrain from being side mounted.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I know from first hand experience

LG uses a completely different mount then most other TA's. It's solid and replaces the entire stock piece with a new one that you bolt to the tranny.

The Yank and BMR crossmembers have their own mount built in and you get rid of the mount attached to the tranny. The LG arm is the only full length TA that I know of that won't work with the crossmembers.
Okay, so it looks like it is because of the bracket they use (since Yank said it needed to be a stock bracket to work). I have never seen the LG bracket, and am still waiting on my arm to show up. Now you really have me curious as to what this looks like.

Guess this tranny cross member isn't for me...I suppose if I ever really get into drag racing (pretty unlikely), I could always just have another torque arm and this cross member on standby since they really don't take all that long to install.

Thanks for the reply! That's the kinda info that can save me $300 and a lot of headaches.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 PM
FormerVendor

Okay, so it looks like it is because of the bracket they use (since Yank said it needed to be a stock bracket to work). I have never seen the LG bracket, and am still waiting on my arm to show up. Now you really have me curious as to what this looks like.

Guess this tranny cross member isn't for me...I suppose if I ever really get into drag racing (pretty unlikely), I could always just have another torque arm and this cross member on standby since they really don't take all that long to install.

Thanks for the reply! That's the kinda info that can save me $300 and a lot of headaches.
No! it needs to be in the stock location we use are own bracket to mount the torque arm using the poly bushing that most arms come with or thats added to a stock arm.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Launching!

I wonder if it would make the trans mount last longer? I ask because my car came with the additional vibration package and using after market trans mounts is unbearable.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

With the poly mount you will still pick up vib's from the engine, but not from the rear and you no longer need an other than a stock mount.
all the load is now on the chassis not the tail housing
By installing the stock mount you will lose a lot of vibs. also
Old 02-13-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SOunds GOOD
Old 02-13-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arkangel77
SOunds GOOD
HOW is the LS1 Brace DIfferent from an LT1 Brace?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Arkangel77
HOW is the LS1 Brace DIfferent from an LT1 Brace?
The LT-1 has a different bolt pattern and length and will not interchange but we are working on that model at this time we will have one for the 400 with torque arm mount in about 3 weeks
Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I need one for a STock Tranny on a LT1! When will that be ready? Will you guys be making one like that?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Is there a market for many of them?
Let me know and we will build them.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about a crossmember for a Glide in a 2000 F-body?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there a market for many of them?
Let me know and we will build them.

Well I am not sure how to tell if ther is a "market" for them? I know ther are a LOT of LT1's out there and I know I would buy one if it was offered? Any chance you could build one for me? I guess thats not possible BUT I figured I would ask? ASLO is where the tourque arm mounts adjustable like the BMR version is. Thnaks, Lata, Ark