Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no 1st or 2nd gear!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I have no 1st or 2nd gear!!!!

After a long day of driving, I'm on my way to a buddy's house. The car had been sitting for a little over an hour after all the driving. I did have to go into reverse up a slight incline at the circle track for pictures earlier in the day. When I did that I had feelings about how my tranny was going to like that. So later in the day on my way to my buddy's house I take a turn and go up a slight hill (very little) and my tranny starts to slip a little. Next I came up to the stop sign not to far ahead. When I go to accelerate again, the tranny slips really bad like barely moving. From that I think the tranny was stuck in 3rd gear from earlier when I took the turn. So we stopped again and moved the shifter up and down, and nothing different happened. I have reverse still, and the car will still shift into 3rd and 4th. I checked the fluid and it still looks ok and smells ok too.
The tranny is a stage 1 with a SS3800, tranny cooler, and about 22,000 miles. It sees the track only 2 or 3 times a year, so its not a race car or anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

did it throw a ses light? one of the solenoids might be stuck in the open positions..

my car has exactly what you described. i put in a 3600 stall, and my ses light went on after about 100 miles, or so, of driving

got it scanned: shifter solenoid stuck open.
and _once_, it felt like it had no 1st or 2nd gear - my car revved up to like 4800 rpms or so, before it started *slowly* moving. but then after i limped home like that, turned the car off let it sit for a bit, turned ti back on. After that little rebooting cycle, the car works fine - i have all my gears (knock on wood) although my ses light is still on.

basically, what happens, is the PCM is confused because of the higher stall torque converter. it 'remembers' what the rpms were like when it shifted before you got it installed. now the rpms are much higher, when it shifts, so it thinks the transmission is slipping (ie solenoid stuck in the open position). thats enough to warrant a SES light. also, the tranny has a 'limp mode' when you only have 3rd gear, and nothing else. Now this bit I am not sure about, but the PCM could have put you in limp mode.

do a seach for p075* codes (like p0756) ..

based on my research about this matter, pretty much the only thing to get rid of this is to 'x' out the p075* codes, that deal with shift solenoids, in ls1edit.
unless one of your solenoids *is* actually bad, and this isnt a 'false' reading.. in which case, just replace the bad one (or all of them for that matter.. they are only $15 a pop)

hope this helps
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice above. Hopefully it is a simple electronics problem. Otherwise, it sounds like it could be a cracked sunshell, which is common on these trannies.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

Thats some great info, but I've had the converter in the car for a year now with proper tuning so thats not the problem. Hopefully its nothing too expensive.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok this might be a dumb answer but did you check the fluid. A low fluid level would make the trans not shift as well has hard to move espically if you go around corners and up hills.. Hey its someting stupid but i have to ask, just like when you call up and complain your computer doesnt work and they ask if its pluged in, dumb but people do it and its a starting point to look for your problems.. One other thing is if the fluid is where it should be(check it with car running and hot) smell the fluid, you could have burnt clutches..
Old 05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
Thats some great info, but I've had the converter in the car for a year now with proper tuning so thats not the problem. Hopefully its nothing too expensive.
Then I'm at a loss.

Unless, when you got the proper tuning - they did delete the p075* codes.. and now it wouldn't throw a SES light when one of them got screwed up.

I'd still recommend taking a look at the solenoids
Old 05-03-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
did it throw a ses light? one of the solenoids might be stuck in the open positions..

my car has exactly what you described. i put in a 3600 stall, and my ses light went on after about 100 miles, or so, of driving

got it scanned: shifter solenoid stuck open.
and _once_, it felt like it had no 1st or 2nd gear - my car revved up to like 4800 rpms or so, before it started *slowly* moving. but then after i limped home like that, turned the car off let it sit for a bit, turned ti back on. After that little rebooting cycle, the car works fine - i have all my gears (knock on wood) although my ses light is still on.

basically, what happens, is the PCM is confused because of the higher stall torque converter. it 'remembers' what the rpms were like when it shifted before you got it installed. now the rpms are much higher, when it shifts, so it thinks the transmission is slipping (ie solenoid stuck in the open position). thats enough to warrant a SES light. also, the tranny has a 'limp mode' when you only have 3rd gear, and nothing else. Now this bit I am not sure about, but the PCM could have put you in limp mode.

do a seach for p075* codes (like p0756) ..

based on my research about this matter, pretty much the only thing to get rid of this is to 'x' out the p075* codes, that deal with shift solenoids, in ls1edit.
unless one of your solenoids *is* actually bad, and this isnt a 'false' reading.. in which case, just replace the bad one (or all of them for that matter.. they are only $15 a pop)

hope this helps
This sounds like something that just happened to me, my A4 recenlty "lost" 3rd and 4th, once it goes to shift outta 2nd the engine just revs up, it threw a SES code that was like P0756, saying that shift solenoid "B" is stuck closed, i took it to a local transmission place and they said they pulled the pan off and checked the sensors but they all seemed good, guess they ?pressure tested them? they said its the 3rd and 4th clutches that went and it woudl be $800 + tax to fix those? Is it possible that they are wrong and i could fix this w/ ls1edit? i'm gonna take it to a different shop and see what they say about it...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
This sounds like something that just happened to me, my A4 recenlty "lost" 3rd and 4th, once it goes to shift outta 2nd the engine just revs up, it threw a SES code that was like P0756, saying that shift solenoid "B" is stuck closed, i took it to a local transmission place and they said they pulled the pan off and checked the sensors but they all seemed good, guess they ?pressure tested them? they said its the 3rd and 4th clutches that went and it woudl be $800 + tax to fix those? Is it possible that they are wrong and i could fix this w/ ls1edit? i'm gonna take it to a different shop and see what they say about it...
I am by far not an expert on 4L60E transmissions, but I believe yes - it is possible. Please _do_ take my words with a grain of salt, because everything I know about these things is from ls1tech and other boards.

If ls1edit does not help, it may also be a bad solenoid. When they checked them, they just checked whether or not they are loose. But did they check whether or not the solenoids actually work and current passes through them? Enough current?

A solenoid is a $15 part ..
Old 05-10-2005, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

I had the same problum somtimes it would start in 3rd and somtimes second gear. and some days it worked fine like nothing was wrong... the problum 1-2 and 3-4 clutch packs gone! and a Drum...

good luck
Old 05-11-2005, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

You should focus on the solenoids they fail all the time.Even if they ohms test good they can still be bad. The computer can only watch how they work electrically not mechanicly. Check the solenoids..
Old 05-12-2005, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_Formula

Same thing happened to me, I cracked a pressure plate on 3rd and 4th side of the drum, and a different time I sheared every tooth off the inside of the drum that the snap ring was held in by, so all the 3rd and 4th gear clutches had nothin holdin them on

Quick Reply: I have no 1st or 2nd gear!!!!