Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans shifting problem, did I do some damage to the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans shifting problem, did I do some damage to the trans?

Today I was driving my 99 Ls1 camaro and I have a TCI 3000 stall. As I went off the ramp I floored my car, I notice that the car kind of stubled and stalled like lacking of power but I kept my foot on the gas. Then all of a sudden I smelled like burnt clutch. Did I cook my torque converter? Or can it be something else? I recently got my torqe management deleted and my idle adjusted and I have a tune done with LS1 edit for the 373 gears that I have. but when I just floored my car it kinda just stalled and didn't wanna go and shift. What would cause my car to do this? What part of the tune would cause this? What would I need to get readjusted? Is it something with the shift points? Or the rev limiter? thats causing my probems. The smell of burnt clutches would that be the torque converter? My trans temp was at 145 degree so its wasn't overheating, i was upset how I got that smell of burnt clutch.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then all of a sudden I smelled like burnt clutch.
Are you sure it was coming from your car and not a passing truck on the highway you were merging onto?

Did I cook my torque converter? Or can it be something else?
Was it locked up and slipping? It's not common for an automatic to produce a burnt clutch smell unless it's fried to the point that slipping is very obvious.

My guess is TM isn't fully deleted. I deleted my TM following the steps on HPTuners website. Come to find out it was an incomplete set of instructions for deleting it.
Followed the instructions and it still hit TM, I was logging it at the time and it dropped timing to -45 or something insane like that.

Or you could be running lean and overheating the cats.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Are you sure it was coming from your car and not a passing truck on the highway you were merging onto?

Was it locked up and slipping? It's not common for an automatic to produce a burnt clutch smell unless it's fried to the point that slipping is very obvious.

My guess is TM isn't fully deleted. I deleted my TM following the steps on HPTuners website. Come to find out it was an incomplete set of instructions for deleting it.
Followed the instructions and it still hit TM, I was logging it at the time and it dropped timing to -45 or something insane like that.

Or you could be running lean and overheating the cats.
When I was driving I had my windows down seemed like the smell was coming from my car after I did a WOT blast. Only shifting problem I notice is just at WOT. Yes it did seem like it was slipping alittle, it wanted to go but it wasn't. It was stalling for a few seconds. I checked the trans dip stick and its still red and doesn't smell burnt at all. So then is this a torque management issue? I was told by the tune tech at finish line that he deleted all of the torque management, possibly he didn't? Could my shift points be causing this also? maybe rev limiter?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Default transmotion prob

I have a 95Z28 with an A4 and I'm having a problem that sounds kind of the same . Did a scan with scan too and got a code 83 TCC fault code(ODM).
I hae looked at all teh things that you have and we think it might be a pinched wire or might be a tourque conveter lock up sellenoid.
My trans guy took the car out for a ride and at 50 mph keeping your foot on the gas tap the brake lightly you should see a change in the rpms if not you could have a TCC problem not saying this is it but it's a place to start .My trans guy will be looking in to my trans sometime early next week hope he finds a bad wire or sellenoid
Hope this helps and yes my problem is at WOT.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

I was told by the tune tech at finish line that he deleted all of the torque management, possibly he didn't? Could my shift points be causing this also? maybe rev limiter?
Yes, Yes, Yes.
Probably not the rev limiter but you really need to find out what was deleted for TM and see what your shift points are, and the lock up mph.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nvr2old
I have a 95Z28 with an A4 and I'm having a problem that sounds kind of the same . Did a scan with scan too and got a code 83 TCC fault code(ODM).
I hae looked at all teh things that you have and we think it might be a pinched wire or might be a tourque conveter lock up sellenoid.
My trans guy took the car out for a ride and at 50 mph keeping your foot on the gas tap the brake lightly you should see a change in the rpms if not you could have a TCC problem not saying this is it but it's a place to start .My trans guy will be looking in to my trans sometime early next week hope he finds a bad wire or sellenoid
Hope this helps and yes my problem is at WOT.

I have no codes at all. Wires are all good also, Ill do that test at 50 mph and see what happens. I took it today on the highway and I was crusing about 70 mph and I do remember when I tapped brake and the RPM did change, but ill double check on that.

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-17-2005 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Yes, Yes, Yes.
Probably not the rev limiter but you really need to find out what was deleted for TM and see what your shift points are, and the lock up mph.
So when you say to find out what was deleted for TM is there more than one category for TM? Or is there just one complete category to delete TM
Old 05-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinking maybe a traction issue? If I floor my car at wot and it spins would this cause slippage and the rpms to be bouning? because iam not hooking up at all?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

could that burnt clutch smell be unburn fuel from misfire?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

the smell really smelled like a burnt clutch, ive owned many manual transmissions and that smell sure smelled like clutch, what does unburn fuel smell like??
Old 05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Banned

There is no relation to unburnt fuel and a burnt clutch as far as smell goes. I did the same thing, and it turned out my tranny was cooked. It wouldnt shift outa 2nd, so i had to get a new tranny. I have the 3000 stall, and it did its usual stalling, then just felt like it slipped into nuetral........... go get it looked at b4 u do more damage
Old 05-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by turbobuick33
the smell really smelled like a burnt clutch, ive owned many manual transmissions and that smell sure smelled like clutch, what does unburn fuel smell like??
I thought diagnosing noises over the internet was difficult, now we move to smells....
To me a burnt clutch and brakes smell the same.
Also to me burnt automatic transmissions smell like fluid and if bad enough they smell like wood, and fluid
Automatic clutches are made of a paper based material.

I had a fried 700 apart in my garage once and EVERYONE who came in there asked me if something was on fire or if I was burning something.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ricethis98
There is no relation to unburnt fuel and a burnt clutch as far as smell goes. I did the same thing, and it turned out my tranny was cooked. It wouldnt shift outa 2nd, so i had to get a new tranny. I have the 3000 stall, and it did its usual stalling, then just felt like it slipped into nuetral........... go get it looked at b4 u do more damage
today this happend agian i floored my car and i got that smell again like the smell of burnt clutch. The transmission shifts fine and when i got home I looked at the fluid several times at the dipstick and its red and there no burnt fluid or dark fluid on the dip stick. Also it smells like good transmission fluid doesn't have any burnt odor smell..so then iam not sure what this smell can be that Iam smelling of burnt clutch, its making me worried
Old 05-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Where is the smell coming from? is the car driving fine? when mine did this, i fried my 2-3 clutch pack.............
Old 05-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

I have my windows down and I smell it from the outside and alittle in the inside of the car.Yes the car drives fine and shifts fine, the color of the trans fluid is red and not brown or tan and doesn't smell burnt,

Last edited by turbobuick33; 05-24-2005 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ricethis98
Where is the smell coming from? is the car driving fine? when mine did this, i fried my 2-3 clutch pack.............
If I did burn my 2-3 clutch pack would I smell it? Also if I did burnt it wouldn't my car not shift from 2 to 3 gear?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

to the top, if i did burn my 2-3 clutch pack would it be strong enough to smell it? also if i did burn it, wouldn't my car not shift at all from 2 to 3rd gear?