Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how many qts does a bone dry trans and new converter hold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many qts does a bone dry trans and new converter hold?

we put enuff in it i thought, its still not shifting good under wot... total is 8 or 9 right now...
Old 06-19-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

You should be close now. Just keep checking the dipstick.....

Don't take that the wrong way JP. Don't mean it as a smart ***..When it's good on the dipstick....it's good.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

well hes got 10 in it now i think....... he doens't really know how to check the trans level at all.. he hadn't been cycling it thru the geras runnign the car as he was doing it so no telling... ive searched and figured it should hold 10.5 to 11.. car drives perfect shifts clean, right until wot then hes getting hesitation but if he lets of the gas a lil, which hes doing right away almost, it shifts immediatley.. so im thinking at 100% throttle there is just not enuff fluid... but hell i could be wrong
Old 06-20-2005, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

It's been awhile since I last did this, but I know it took a little more than 10. I'd say 10-11 or so. You should be very close.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

i heard 12, but that may be considering an extra qt. for a tranny cooler
Old 06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

12 with cooler isnt it? (I can't remember, it's been since 94)
Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 AM
Teching In

let the car run for a while in park and then shift throught the gears and then check while the car is running
Old 06-21-2005, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember to check it with the car in netural. Bone dry a stock tranny will take 11 qts.

Mec
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends on the physical size of the converter too.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

little less on a TH400/TH350?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Jesus Christ Just fill it up until it reads FULL on the dipstick. How difficult can we make this?

I DO NOT GET IT, WARM IT UP
car drives perfect shifts clean, right until wot then hes getting hesitation but if he lets of the gas a lil, which hes doing right away almost, it shifts immediatley.. so im thinking at 100% throttle there is just not enuff fluid
OK THE FLUID IS CIRCULATED AND HEATED UP enough now fill it to the full mark. Thats it, you are finished with the fluid fill procedure. It's not the space shuttle it really is that easy.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Jesus Christ Just fill it up until it reads FULL on the dipstick. How difficult can we make this?

I DO NOT GET IT, WARM IT UPOK THE FLUID IS CIRCULATED AND HEATED UP enough now fill it to the full mark. Thats it, you are finished with the fluid fill procedure. It's not the space shuttle it really is that easy.
calm down buddy, people just want some help
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
calm down buddy, people just want some help
How much help could you possibly need to put fluid in your transmission until the dipstick reads full?
Seriously, is the answer 10 quarts 1 1/2 pints? NO.
Depends on the size of the converter, pan, lines, etc, we're getting warm.
9 posts in this thread.
The answer is fill it til it reaches the full mark hot in park on level ground.
Not go out and buy a measuring cup, add 21.578 pints and you're good.

That and all the other BS rumors on this board are getting old.
Yea maybe he downshifted it wrong and ruined it already or manually upshifted it once, btw if you're going to drive like that add .957 pint for safety. If not subtract 1.0046 pints, or .0035 lower than the full mark on the stick.
Make sure theres at least but not more than 214 bubbles in the fluid on the stick or your reading will be off.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

i just want to know before i actually start the ****** up what a good baseline amount is, you know since we have to have it running to check. i like to make sure i'm within a certain tolerance. it holds roughly 10. ok so i fill to 10 and add more if needed. rather than starting up and just adding it while it's running from 1-10.65389. don't like it, eat a dick.... good day
Old 06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much help could you possibly need to put fluid in your transmission until the dipstick reads full?
Seriously, is the answer 10 quarts 1 1/2 pints? NO.
Depends on the size of the converter, pan, lines, etc, we're getting warm.
9 posts in this thread.
The answer is fill it til it reaches the full mark hot in park on level ground.
Not go out and buy a measuring cup, add 21.578 pints and you're good.

That and all the other BS rumors on this board are getting old.
Yea maybe he downshifted it wrong and ruined it already or manually upshifted it once, btw if you're going to drive like that add .957 pint for safety. If not subtract 1.0046 pints, or .0035 lower than the full mark on the stick.
Make sure theres at least but not more than 214 bubbles in the fluid on the stick or your reading will be off.
I think your low beer light is on. The man just asked a question. This site has alot of members so when a question is asked more than a few opinions will be offered. I noticed you have more than a few posts. Has anyone posted the way you did about something you wanted to know about? I,ve seen some silly answers to some questions but someone will eventually post with a good answer. Why is it your place to say which ones should be listened to? If you dont like the content of the answers, post a more simple one. But its juvenile and useless to post what you have. It causes all of the above.

Mec
Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
i just want to know before i actually start the ****** up what a good baseline amount is, you know since we have to have it running to check. i like to make sure i'm within a certain tolerance. it holds roughly 10. ok so i fill to 10 and add more if needed. rather than starting up and just adding it while it's running from 1-10.65389. don't like it, eat a dick.... good day
Go ahead and put 10 quarts in a dry trans without it running. It'll probably dump out of the dipstick tube.
I thought you said you already had it running anyway? Hmmm,
we put enuff in it i thought, its still not shifting good under wot... total is 8 or 9 right now...
Sooooo what does the stick read.
Wait, that wasn't you...who the hell asked the question again.

eat a dick.... good day
No thanks I'm not an automotive illiterate mother ******* *** who can't figure simple **** like this out on their own.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
I think your low beer light is on. The man just asked a question. This site has alot of members so when a question is asked more than a few opinions will be offered. I noticed you have more than a few posts. Has anyone posted the way you did about something you wanted to know about? I,ve seen some silly answers to some questions but someone will eventually post with a good answer. Why is it your place to say which ones should be listened to? If you dont like the content of the answers, post a more simple one. But its juvenile and useless to post what you have. It causes all of the above.

Mec
I can't remember asking too many questions, when I do no one can answer.
I donate time here for whatever thats worth, I give my opinions for free so if I'm expected to ignore the posts I don't like than those who don't like my posts can ignore me the same way.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

I DO NOT GET IT, WARM IT UPOK THE FLUID IS CIRCULATED AND HEATED UP enough now fill it to the full mark. Thats it, you are finished with the fluid fill procedure. It's not the space shuttle it really is that easy.
you my friend are a dumbass
the reason i ask is the guy u had the trans done also wasn't tooo smart adn drove around on 6-7 quarts... so as of that happening im thru working on his car regardless..... thanks for the responses tho
Old 06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

way ive always done it was 4-5 in at first, warm it up.. cycle gears, add accordingly.... this fool couldn't read the dipstick tube and wound up with 6-7 for a good 15-20 minutes of hard driving before he called me. actually it was 2 hrs before he called me.