Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking from TC.....NEED HELP ASAP

Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clicking from TC.....NEED HELP ASAP

Hey thanks for looking.

Anyways after a long stupid tranny install there is a clicking from the TC in drive or reverse or any other gear outside of park. I have no idea what this clicking is.

When driving the clicking is not there. When stopped it is. Now it's def coming from the TC, so no "are you sure it's coming from the TC questions will be needed"

The car seems to pull very slowly from a dead stop so I'm thinking the pump might be fried. Not sure though. But would a pump being fried cause that clicking

Thanks for the help. Also it's not my car it's a buddies car and we've been working on this install for awhile
Old 11-30-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you SURE it's coming from the converter? Sorry, but unless you can put your hand on it while it's making the noise you don't know for sure.

My guess.. it's the front pump. It's easily damaged when doing a converter install if your not familar with it. I would also check to see if the bolts are loose and also the flexplate for any cracks.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only does it when in gear so I think I'm ruling out the flexplate. We checked that when we did the install as well. Also yes, I am 100% sure it is the TC, as my head was underneath the car and it's right there. The only things I can think of would be the TC blown...but it drives, or the pump
Old 11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

If you damaged the front pump you wouldn't be driving right now. It would've blown right after you started to drive or soon after. I say it's loose TC bolts or a cracked flywheel. Also, the pulling slowly from a stop and such could be a stuck shift solenoid. An SES light should've came on. JMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well no SES light is on right now, also the car does drive so I guess that rules out the shift solenoid, and the front pump then right?

Also wht else could there be....I don't think the flywheel is cracked as we checked that when we pulled the stock tranny out
Old 11-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
Well no SES light is on right now, also the car does drive so I guess that rules out the shift solenoid, and the front pump then right?

Also wht else could there be....I don't think the flywheel is cracked as we checked that when we pulled the stock tranny out

Not sure your issue is the same ticking/clicking sound I have or not, but...

1. Loose TC bolts

2. Loose Flexplate bolts

3. Cracked flexplate, just cuz it was good upon removal dont mean it stays that way....

4. The turbine separating from the stator inside the TC, should have metal building up in fluid from metal to metal friction as well as burnt fluid after some time doing this.

Improper TC to Flexplate fitment. If the pilot doesnt sit beyond the flexplate enough to support the weight onto the crank, then as soon as a load is placed onto the trans, the flexplate flexes and does so way to much, cracking the plate. I will be pulling mine this w/e to check all these areas out. Its hard to diagnose without me being a trans expert, so I had a local trans shop listen to and he gave me the above info. Does it suck, yep, but gotta pull it to find out. If the plate goes, it will take **** with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the post. I hope it's not a cracked flexplate. But I don't see how it could be a cracked one when we literally just put the tranny up there, and we have put 0 miles on it. Just don't see that cracking. I hope it's just the lose TC bolts....as I tightened them good, but maybe not toooooo good

We'll see what it is, I just don't want to pull it again becasue we have pulled it 2x now, the first time the TC wasn't on right when we lined it up and we fixed that, but now we'll see. My buddy is coming to take a look at it for a second or 2.

Thanks for the help though
Old 11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of converter and what bolts did you use? Some converters (like Yanks) use a shorter bolt, and if you put the stock bolts back in, they will bottom before they are tight on the flexplate. That can cause a rattle, especially between gears when the converter and pump are not loaded much.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's an AAS or something converter. It's not a name brand converter. Yes we used the same bolts as the stock ones, but I don't think that's the problem either. I'm kind of leaning towards a blown pump myself, but just looking for some insight
Old 12-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Restricted User

If you didnt have the pump engaged the first time, it could be damaged. There are two pins that the converter locks into when fully seated. There is only so much room, I think about 5/16" or something for it hold, if its not seated all the way, and the flexplate moves too much, then the pump and TC disengage, upon lifting throttle, it may engage, but not in the correct position and so begins lots of trouble. Hopefully its the bolts. GL and please keep us up.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
If you damaged the front pump you wouldn't be driving right now. It would've blown right after you started to drive or soon after.
Can't be that absolute, like Cat3 says above, I've worked on a car that the guy bent the driver "ears" in the pump. Car drove for a couple days, then went south.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah so anyways, still lost on this whole situation. Awaiting my buddy to come by and check it out see what it is. I'll keep everyone posted, but still let me know
Old 12-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Restricted User

Well, I will be pulling mine this afternoon. A few hours at work, then a few hours working on the car. Stuck like mad, I pull it, inspect it, if its cracked then I put it together and wait for parts, or same same for TC etc.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it had ANYTHING to do with the flexplate, bolts, etc... you would hear it in park as well. Maybe yourl linkage isn't fully disengaging the parking pawl??? Just my .02
Old 12-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Wow, what a fricken day! Got to the shop and pulled my trans. As I went to pull the flexplate, I realized what the problem most likely is. The fricken flexplate to crank bolts! Yes, I tightened them down last week with the car on the rack, but... Notice to TCI flexplate users, it is true if you dont sand off the powdercoating at the bolt mounting points it will make for a real headache. Anyway, I removed the flexplate, inspected it, and seen a few spots where the powdercoating was hot and smeared outward, then using a DA sanded down the crank side, and bolt side, then the TC mount pads. There was one spot where the ring gear showed light between it and the body of the flexplate, but the welds were still solid and nothing else seemed to be an issue.
I recorded the #'s stamped into the pilot of the ATI converter in case I need to contact them. Reinstalled the flexplate and used RED locktite this time. Start up was quiet, and driving seems quiet again. So happy. Being in the same boat, or hopefully the same, as Chris (z28C4maro82z) I know feel happy again and can totally understand the frustration. Chris, I hope yours is simple and not costly. GL buddy.

Charlie
Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck Chris, keep us updated.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah thanks guys. I apreciate all the support I'm getting on this. My buddy's T/A may never run. I gotta get up under there and check the TC bolts again. Maybe add a third washer into the mix. Not 100% sure yet but I'll see next time I get under there.

ANYWAYS I had a horrible day today as the truck I recently bought won't pass registration because it has a donated vehicle title. Hmmm that's funny

Also now I come to find out the accurate mileage on the truck is 216k and not the advertised 116k on the truck. It's complete and utter bullshit. So now I'm in a huge debocle with this PIECE OF **** DEALER IN PHILADELPHIA CALLED QUAKER AUTO

sorry just venting my anger....Gotta get up early to run out there to bitch at them to threaten to sue if I don't get my money back....

No money being granted back to me will result in legal action without a doubt

Search this Thread