Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with my fuddle possibly

Old 12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my fuddle possibly

well i am putting the trans back in.. dad somehow manage to break a cord on my starter or something today i dunno...

well he decided to do some work on it.. i was at work.. he bolts the flexplate to the converter, but says the bolts they sent only maybe went in 3 turns..

the converter IS seated properly.. ive done this maybe 12-13 times now...

the bolts i had in my old tci converter did seem to be longer.

i also have a TCI flexplate if that matters.... so im not sure if i got the wrong bolts, if my dad is a fool, or if its even a big deal...

i do know this car has to be running by tommorow cuase i dyno tune monday and its going to rain all weekend and i need it aligned... so im pretty much screwed and could use some advice
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

I bought longer bolts from a local hardware store cause I thought the bolts looked a little short. *I have the TCI flexplate also so maybe it has somthing to do with using these items together.*
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

yah.. i know, well highly doubt he bolts they sent are going to be long enuff not to come back out and tear **** up on the dyno...

guess ill make a trip to lowes or whereever to find some bolts..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

i have some that were in with the tci converter and flexplate.. like i siad i wasn't there, but dad said they wont work.. i dont think he tried them.. they were plenty long enuff tho.. i cant imagine why the bolts i used with the tci 3000 and tci flexplate wouldn't work with this converter and flexplate..
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

It may be something with the TCI flexplate - I have the stock flexplate still and bolts worked great (same size as the bolts I pulled off my Midwest too).
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

The bolts that I got for my used TCI verter wouldnt fit my Fuddle.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Banned

I just thought I would chime in a little here.
The bolts should be sent threaded into the converter. Our Performance Series Converters are built to accept stock bolts and incase your car came with the stupid allen bolts, we send 3 stock bolts threaded into the converter. Our HP/Street model does use a different bolt size, but the bolts we send should have no problem fitting the stock flexplate. If the problem is that the bolts simply aren't going far enough in because the flexplate is too wide, you could replace them with a good bolt that is the same size with a little more length. Let me know if you would like me to get some slightly longer bolts for you. I would be happy to send a few out free of charge.
Let me know,
John
Old 12-08-2005, 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

And that right there would be why everyone talks about John's great customer service

The verter mounting bosses on the TCI are much thicker than the mounting areas on a stock flexplate - so you need longer bolts for proper thread engagement.

Usual engineering rule of thumb for thread engagement is at least diameter of bolt being used. So if you were using the stock 10mm verter bolts - optimum conditions would be that you would want the bolts long enough to thread in to the verter mounting lugs at least 10mm.

Oh, did I forget to mention - bolts should be AT LEAST Grade 8

And don't forget the loctite & proper torque specs...

Just some friendly advice from your local neighborhood Design Engineer

-Jay-
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6

The verter mounting bosses on the TCI are much thicker than the mounting areas on a stock flexplate - so you need longer bolts for proper thread engagement.
This is exactly true the tci flexplate is thicker so i had to get some longer bolts when i put my tci flexplate and yank converter in 2 weeks ago.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1jfuddle
I just thought I would chime in a little here.
The bolts should be sent threaded into the converter. Our Performance Series Converters are built to accept stock bolts and incase your car came with the stupid allen bolts, we send 3 stock bolts threaded into the converter. Our HP/Street model does use a different bolt size, but the bolts we send should have no problem fitting the stock flexplate. If the problem is that the bolts simply aren't going far enough in because the flexplate is too wide, you could replace them with a good bolt that is the same size with a little more length. Let me know if you would like me to get some slightly longer bolts for you. I would be happy to send a few out free of charge.
Let me know,
John

yea it had bolts threaded into the converter.. and the guy above is right.. the tci bolts are not the same thread or whatever and wont work.. but since i got them with the flexplate, they must have given me longer bolts or "non stock bolts"

i wasn't sure if maybe something was off in the converter or flexplate tho if they weren't going far enuff in.. i will go to lowes and get some stage 8 stainless bolts i guess that will be good enuff?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

does anyone know the tq specs?????

anyways, thanks for ur help guys.. i was a lil worried when they wouldn't tighten down more then 3 twist... ive pulled this trans like 4 times now.. and a bunch of mine friends.. i must have been lucky all the other times lol...

big thanks to fuddle.. they did awnser all my preorder questions like no other company would!!!! i cant wait to get the thing locked down and secure, to the dyno and then the TRACK... im sure it will perform well..

now let me get some bolts and somebody post up those tq specs lol... we usually just tightened them down and used loctight... never used a tq wrench hehe...
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does anyone know the tq specs?????

I believe we looked on yanks site or did a search with yahoo and it was like 60lbs
Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Actually GM finally disclosed information that they had the
wrong Flexplate Torque Spec for the 2000-2002 GM vehicles.
This is what was causing the damage to the Flexplate.

The Flex Plate (Flywheel) to Converter is 90 Ft.Lbs.
The Flex Plate to Crank is 74 Ft.Lbs.

Make sure to use the RED Locktite
Best to use ARP Bolts.

-Jay-
Old 12-09-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The flexplate crack pictures I have seen, all
have the crack well away from either set of
bolts - at the skinniest piece of the "web"
where your eye would tell you the 'plate is
going to concentrate stress and put the most
flexing / fatigue / shock.

How that relates to bolt torques, unless they
backed out or something, I can't really see.

I trust GM "disclosures" about as much as I
trust the government kind.

Search this Thread