Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a question about my built trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have a question about my built trans

Hey my stock trans recently broke and it is now replaced with a built one and it also now has a yank ss3600 instead of a tci ssf3500. The issue im having is when you try to put the car in reverse when its all warmed up is it will just stall right out so in order to get it in properly you need put ur foot on the brake and put it in reverse and quick hit the gas so it stays running. It just seems to do it on the initial click into gear. The car runs and idles alot better with the new trans once its in gear. It just the initial click into gear. The car does have a cam. Im thinking it is something to do with line pressure so I might have to get a retune. If there is nothing I can do oh well but it gets kind of annoyting sometimes. Does anyone elses cammed auto do this. Thanks the mods are in sig.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

What's your idle set at now? I'd guess between 850-950. It's possible that the Yank is a bit lighter than the tci which is throwing your PCM a curve. Try turning your idle set screw a 1/4 turn to open up the tb blade. Make sure you reset your TPS sensor to prevent idle surging.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

The car idles about 900 in drive and about 1000 in park. The tb blade is open alittle bit already and I havent reset the tps sensor at all. The car defenitly seems to idle higher in gear now or something because it doesnt seem like u can hear the cam as much as you would before. I think I might need to get some kind of retune or something. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Another thing I noticed was the car seems to idle about 900 in park or drive. But when your in gear you cant hear the cam as good as you would in park it sounds like its loaded up or something already when ur sitting at idle in d. Im pretty sure you could hear the cam better in drive with the old tranny. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

I've got a torquer II cam and my idle is set at 950. In park, it definitely sounds like it lopes harder than in drive. This, I think, is normal. You might want to take a look at this thread to adjust your idle properly:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html
Old 12-17-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply but I cant really do this because I dont have a diagnostic tool so im thinking maybe ill just take it to the tuner in a few weeks and let him take a look. Another thing I noticed is when the car is cold you can put it in reverse normally.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Well, there you go. It's most definitely an idle issue then. When you set your idle in HPTuners for example, you set your idle values based on coolant temperature. The colder the engine on startup, the higher your idle is.

One other thing you might wanna check is to make sure your plug wires are all on your plugs and coilpacks correctly. When I first got my converter installed, my number 8 plug wire came loose somehow. That was causing all kinds of idle issues for me similar to what you are describing. I really would take a few minutes to check this before going back to your tuner.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Alright I'll check to make sure the plug wires are connected good. Thanks for the help. Btw did you ever dyno your car?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
Alright I'll check to make sure the plug wires are connected good. Thanks for the help. Btw did you ever dyno your car?
No sir, my trans took a **** 3 hours after driving my car with the new cam. It's been about 2 months and **** just isn't going my way right now. I've got a buttload of parts sitting around and nothing to do with them. Right now I'm waiting on a replacement TC from Fuddle so I can put my Rock-On tranny in. I've also got a tunnel mounted UMI TA with driveshaft loop just staring at me, and I've yet to see how my car will sound with the slp dual/dual I just picked up. Hopefully my feshly wrapped UMI LCAs and brand new in the box DMS springs will help put the power down.

Sorry, rant off. I've got seriously bad luck though.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear about your bad luck my stock trans broke about 500 miles after the cam. Anyway good luck on the dyno and track when you get ur car up and running again.