Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission clunks into gear, need help from you GM guys.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission clunks into gear, need help from you GM guys.

My car isn't a GM car, but it has a GM transmission. Transmission is a A4S 310R (THM-R1), from a bmw. Please don't tell me to go to the BMW forums, because they don't know much, they just tell me to bring it into he dealer. So I would think you GM guys would know a lot more then us about automatic transmission and how to fix them. Since I see you guys rebuilding engines and stuff from the parking lot of autozone and kragens...

GM A4S 310R (THM-R1), automatic

It shifts through first and second just fine, but in and out of third gear it slams into it, you can hear a clunk noise when you speed up and it goes into 3rd, or when you slow down to a halt and it exit third. You can feel a little push from the car as it slams into that gear also. It might be forth gear, as I wasn't able to count the rpm drop downs perfectly. What's the problem here?

As a little history, this transmission was sitting in my garage for about a year, before it was removed from my car it ran perfectly and shifted like a dream. I installed it again this year, and I ran it in limp mode for about 30minutes (limp = it stays in 3rd and never shifts out of it) because one of the wires was disconnected. It was in limp mode when I was refilling the transmission oil, and about 10minutes of driving it. So, I'm hoping I didn't burn out something in the transmission while I was doing this....I was filling up the oil when the car was running in netural though.

Let me know what you guys think, and if there's a easy solution for my problem. I'm crossing my finger for not a new transmission, as it will cost me about 4thousand dollars installed. It would be awesome if they came up with some type of oil to help bang-age.

Sorry about the long post, had to get everything down.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Someone, please? I know you GM guys know automatic transmissions.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anything about those transmissions but this might help.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Seen that a billion times. I doubt it's the fluid, since first and second shifts fine.

I was hoping this would be a universal problem not related to model. More of how auto transmission work.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it's not a universal problem. Good luck. Try searching google for the transmission type and ATSG and ATRA as key words.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Launching!

try the bmw forums.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
No it's not a universal problem. Good luck. Try searching google for the transmission type and ATSG and ATRA as key words.
What's ATSG and ATRA stand for btw?

It almost feels like the trq converter locks into the gear....

Does anyone know if I could have burnt out something in the transmission because I was running it in 3rd gear for about 30minutes? meaning 3rd gear from a dead stop.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

hey Listen up....could be your MLPS mal adjusted, VSS could also be bad. I had one that had the wrong speed-o gear that caused this problem. Last but not least your force motor could be bad. I would bet on the speed sensor or number one your bad/improperly adjusted MLPS, I hope this helps ...Dave P.S. It's alot easier troublshooting with the year make model, engine size also benifits .....Dave
Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rock-On
hey Listen up....could be your MLPS mal adjusted, VSS could also be bad. I had one that had the wrong speed-o gear that caused this problem. Last but not least your force motor could be bad. I would bet on the speed sensor or number one your bad/improperly adjusted MLPS, I hope this helps ...Dave P.S. It's alot easier troublshooting with the year make model, engine size also benifits .....Dave
Thanks for the input, even though I don't know a thing about what you just said, care to explain a little more into detail, mostly about what all the MLPS or so on means. I'm looking into it right now. If you can give me some hints on how to trouble shoot this and figure out if it's one of these, that would be awesome. I'm also hoping that it only happens in and out of one gear, will narrow it down.

I have a question for you, I don't know the basic of a autotransmission, is there something that I could have burned out, a gear or something that could be the source of the problem? I ran it in 3rd gear for pretty long, and it only happens in 3rd gear, what is why I ask. (not 3 on the shifter, single gear 3rd, that means it was driving in one gear, 3rd gear, from a dead stop and up)

I didn't come here expecting people to know my car and common issues related to it. I'm here in hopes that someone would know the basic of how a automatic transmission works, and could tell me what could cause my problem; as because I am almost 100% sure my problem isn't make/model related, but more of a automatic transmission design problem. The reason I didn't put year/model/engine size is because, I don't think it will really matter since it's not a GM car, just a car with a GM transmission.

1993 bmw, 2.5liter engine. I've listed the model of the transmission above, it's a 4speed auto.

Last edited by dav1d84; 12-30-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Okay, I stand corrected.......here it is.......... the transmission that you listed is wrong....at least from where I'm standing...when I work on a 1993 BMW 325i, it has a 4l30e transmission in it, Thats what I'm assuming you have ...... perhapes you'd be better off takeing this to your nearest dealer or tranny shop.. I'd have to spend the better part of the day with you troubleshooting this thing..... Id still suspect the MLPS (netural safety switch). That would also explain your 3rd gear starts. Driving around in 3rd gear is bad and normally will burn the clutch pac out, from what your telling me you've got 3rd so I wouldn't suspect it as your problem. I hope you slove your problem and I do hope I've helped you...Dave
Old 12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

So what do you think it is, a burnt clutch pack or something? It might be a 4l30e that's been renamed, because the bellhousing had to be modified to fit.

So, if I still have 3rd, that means I didn't burn out the clutch pack correct?

If I did burn out the clutch pack, how much am I looking at to fix it?

Also, lets say that I did burn out 3rd gear, without third gear, would it clunk into 4th... just in case that's what is happening with my car.

Quick Reply: Transmission clunks into gear, need help from you GM guys.