TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Good luck to you and stay safe.
Thank you.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to see any manual tranny guy try to out shift an auto on the track..
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

2.73 gears hold third to 168! That gear with the right converter can be killer from a high speed roll.
Tell me about it. I also have no problem with the 30-40mph rolls either.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

well i am kinda like this...i see a car that is auto and i get a little disappointed. not with the owner of the car...i just like stick. i never bash, and never talk down. if i get into conversation i may bring it up, and also agree that at the end of the day the auto is probobly going to be faster anyways. my personal opinion is that i love to shift....and i love to drive my car on teh street and highway etc. so stick is for me.

Louie
Old 02-13-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What most people don't realize today is that automatics are taking over manuals in terms of shifting quicker. Today's technology is awesome compared to the 60's. Back in the late 60's, if you didn't have an M4, you were SOL. Today, things are changing and your begining to see automatics more and more. It's just going to keep getting better and better because it's going to get to a point where there's no way a human can out shift a computer. Many people frown upon automatics and I question why. I personally like both, but the way an automatic works is just outstanding. I've been reading on how autos work and torque convertors and it's just really outstanding. It's just going to keep getting better and better with today's and the future's technology.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Teching In

just a little insite into the great debate of auto vrs stick...... what does every professional drag racing team implement? i don't think i've ever heard or a 6 second door slammer losing because he missed a shift.....nore have i ever seen one win with a stick.... they don't use them......

Last edited by suzukibruce; 02-13-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by suzukibruce
just a little insite into the great debate of auto vrs stick...... what does every professional drag racing team implement? i don't think i've ever heard or a 6 second door slammer losing because he missed a shift.....nore have i ever seen one win with a stick.... they don't use them......
thats a good point. completly wrong but a good one. so good ill prove you wrong. door slammers dont use automatics. its called a lenco. planetary clutchless 5 spd. thats why they dont miss shifts and they are manual. you dont shift car dont go. nice try though.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
thats a good point. completly wrong but a good one. so good ill prove you wrong. door slammers dont use automatics. its called a lenco. planetary clutchless 5 spd. thats why they dont miss shifts and they are manual. you dont shift car dont go. nice try though.
If they are manuals without clutches then doesn't that really make them semi-automatics?
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If they are manuals without clutches then doesn't that really make them semi-automatics?
lol there you go......
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

My WS6 started off as an A4, with the following mods went 11.67@117 1.61 60'
Lid, K&N, gutted cats, Yank ST3500, Hoosier QTP's and a home made n2o kit with a 125 dry shot. (The kit was a friends, so no cost).
Now: I converted to an m6 after two tranny failures. Spent many thousands of dollars to pick up 3 tenths. I am thinking about converting back, lol, I miss being consistant at the track. My girlfriends car has 50 less rwhp and we have identical best ET's at 11.360, she runs a 4400 stalled A4.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

i can only think of one field in which an automatic cannot compete with a stick: the transmissions ability to transfer power.

if it is a TRUE automatic and will shift on its own, you will lose hp, regardless. although what i would call an autostick, or something like a th350 with a manual valvebody, would come close to matching output to a stick car...but would shift faster.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Teching In

tis why us dragbike riders use air shifters...... no lost clutch time and much, much more consistancy....oh and the only experiance with door slammers is one my fathers friend built when i was 12 and he ran a powerglide powered by a donovan block..... i think it was running 8 something.... i think it was a 66 or 67 duece..... all glass of course.... i'm just now getting into the gen III gm's (i'm a truck guy) fastest i've ever been in a car was 13.8 in a 68 chev p.u...... crashed old blue one night after 1/2 case of buds..... in front of my house..... then i got into bikes..... currently i run an 82 gs1100 suzy at 9.21 @157 mph with a 1.4 60 ft......

anyway does removing the map sensor screen really give horses? some guy i go to school with says it is good for like 15 hp.... i find it hard to believe.....
Old 02-15-2006, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

People are always sayign like "Wow your car is amazing" and then when they see that is an auto there like "Oh its an automatic tho". Pisses me off so bad plus I personally love having an auto and honestly dislike the fact of having to shift all the time.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

I got my Trans Am jr. yr of High School and got made fun of by EVERYONE for it being an auto, especially cause there was another kid w/same car in M6. Being the STUPID kid I was not knowing a DAMN thing about cars I actually sold the auto and picked up an M6 sophmore yr of college. Now knowing a great deal more about these cars and not caring what anyone says anymore I realize what a TREMENDOUS mistake I made. Now I need to throw down 4K for a rear and suspension parts what an auto could have done for me stock. Now that I look back all the kids that made fun of me drove sh#t cars and didnt know s#it about cars.

Its been years later but now I finally have the cash to convert back to a built A4!!

Last edited by 01bird58; 08-30-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Who wants to stop and shift while you have a girls body leanin over the center console and her face in your lap????? honestly i care nothing about what people say about my car, i didnt buy it for them. i bought it for me and me personally love to shift gears but when i drove this auto i was amazed and living around here i would have a blown out left knee in a month with this bullshit traffic. very impressed with my auto i have 2:73's and all it takes is to floor it and i can lay a nice burnout for 60-80 feet depending on how long i want to go and all in first gear!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by suzukibruce
anyway does removing the map sensor screen really give horses? some guy i go to school with says it is good for like 15 hp.... i find it hard to believe.....
you mean maF screen?

people remove that screen in high(er) hp applications because it restricts airflow. it is there from the factory for a reason; to keep **** from hitting those tiny little wires. if you are going to descreen your maf, may i suggest having someone tune your car and delete the maf first. those wires are very tempermental and detrimental to your vehicle's performance.

i would only remove the screen for 2 reasons:

1) mafless tuning renders the maf useless
2) i have a 500+ hp motor that needs more air
Old 02-19-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread makes me laugh. I used to get this with my 70 SS all the time. The "Real sports cars have manuals." and the "When are you going to step up to a big block?" comments. I just saw it as a sign of ignorance. If they wanted to run, I'd go and humiliate them.

I have a manual now because I'm not really into the drag scene anymore and I enjoy grabbing gears around corners and the higher gas milage is nice on a daily driver. If I wanted to drag more I'd have gotten an A4 and I sure wouldn't have the springs I have on my 00.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Damn I need to get a stall!! my wife's G35 makes all its power due to the lose factory stall c that keeps the rr's up. Now days that how the newer cars are ripping those low 0- 60 times. It's all in the stall!! Mr Fuddle I'm calling you soon!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I have a M6 right now, and when buying my car it was one of the main things I was looking for. I only use my car for street use, it hasn't been to a track yet. The reason I wanted the manual was because for what I use my car for, I personally find it more fun to drive. If I were to shift my focus more towards the track, I would have gone with an auto, for one of two reasons, there is more consistancy with the auto, and with the right setup the auto can shift much faster than I can shift my manual....but like I said, for what my car is used for, the manual is more fun for me personally.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

who cares get a stall and shut them bitches up...ive owned 6spd 5spd and auto's....manuals are funner to drive an autos win the races...i have never lost to a manual car on the street...the few that i found that had the power couldnt drive them to their potential...its hard to launch a manual wit alot of power unless you know wut your doin...i can race and reach over and rub on my g/f's VAGINA while im spankin that manuals *** like a lil baby's bottom!!!!

Quick Reply: "That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."