Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe the iron block LS1s came with the trucks. There were no Iron Fbody blocks from the factory but you can get them in a 408 size. They are good for forced induction applications.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't ever recall there being a LS1 iron block.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have two friends with Trans Am's that are both manual. I get it all the time first off, because I have a Camaro and the Trans Am looks so much tougher although I would take it any day over what they drive, second for my body kit, that I like, and third because I have the automatic. Now it is time for me to do something about this and get a stall and whip some ******* asses. So what would you guys recommend for stall on my daily driven street car?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

if u have 2.73s get a 3200stall if u have 3.23s get a 3500/3800 stall. beating an m6 guy in a dragrace is really easy in these cars w/ converters, i know from experience
Old 02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

I think it has something to do that cars in Nascar, IRL, IROC, SCCA all have manual transmissions. It is the deception that in order for a car to be considered cool and racy has to have a manual trans.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an interesting picture from Rossler's website:

Link: http://www.rosslertrans.com/

Last edited by black 2001Vette,Nightmare; 02-10-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

The quickest, fastest automatic door car on the planet is O'Dell Electric's 2650 pound record setting '70 Chevelle. It runs 6.57 at over 205 mph. They use a Rossler XHD-TH400 with our exclusive unbreakable dual sprag 2nd gear and a Ross-Lock™ Trans Brake.

O'Dell's three car team and Larry Snyder's dragster both ran the entire '98 season without a single transmission failure.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I don't ever recall there being a LS1 iron block.

Aftermarket. I'm not too sure if there were any that came from the factory for the trucks.

Speedinc sells an LS1 iron long block & short block 408

http://www.ls1speed.com/enginepackages.cfm
Old 02-11-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
I have two friends with Trans Am's that are both manual. I get it all the time first off, because I have a Camaro and the Trans Am looks so much tougher although I would take it any day over what they drive, second for my body kit, that I like, and third because I have the automatic. Now it is time for me to do something about this and get a stall and whip some ******* asses. So what would you guys recommend for stall on my daily driven street car?
Call Fuddle & talk to John (1jfuddle)~~~>

Let him ask some questions and I'm sure you'll find the perfect converter for a great price.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8banger
I'm done. I've said my peace, and your view won't change neither will mine. I go to the track once or twice a month, but if someone wants to race on the street I will find a deserted area and go for it. That doesn't change.
Good luck to you and stay safe.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bww3588
you are absolutely correct. and i agree totally. but what makes me mad is when you race someone with a computer controlled auto (4L60E) in your stick shift and they beat you because you missed a shift or somthing, then they tell you how bad of a driver you are. well if he had a stick then i could see his argument, but he had an automatic.....so all he did was feed gas into the "dog", not feed it and walk it at the same time.
If that happens then you have my permission to kick his a$$ Seriously, that's being a poor winner and I would never say anything like that to anyone after a race. Everyone makes mistakes. Even 4L60E autos can make mistakes. I stalled up to 1500 rpm's and tried to floor it on green once while I was still running street tires. Lets just say I almost hit the wall, stayed in the gas way too long before deciding to let off and the first two digits of me ET was 16

Ouch! But at least the guy I ran didn't rub it in. He did ask we what the hell happened though.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
i'll say it ONE MORE TIME....the mule from hardcore is NOT the quickest/fastest LS1 in the country...there are those two other LS1 cars in the 6s (yeah, 1 full second quicker than the mule)
This has been fun and informative. I did read up on Casper and watched the video of his 6.8 second pass. Very impressive would be an understatement. I looked at all the links, read the articles and I must say I am impressed. I thought the Mules record still stood but I stand corrected.

However (you didn't think you were getting off that easy did ya?), I noticed something funny about the links. First (as allready mentioned) they used a 6.0L iron block from a truck. Not exactly LS1 material IMO but I'll let that slide for now.

None of the links talked about the transmission. I found this very strange so I did a yahoo, msn and google search. I used a variety of keywords such as Mike Moran, casper, 6.8 ls1 and a variety of combonations as well. If you look at this article for example, it lists everything they used BUT the transmission:

http://www.racing4e.com/print118.html

So I kept searching. All I could find was this:

http://www.racing4e.com/article129.html

What I found interesting about this article was this:

"The advantage of using Moran's racing-vet Caspar Camaro and having him drive it became apparent when the car first went down the track. Moran was able to provide clear input and recommend actions to tune the chassis and engine. The car started out using a Bruno torque converter/G-force gearbox transmission they had lying around, and getting the engine up to peak rpm at the starting line to stall the converter was the first challenge. To achieve stall, a 100hp shot of nitrous was robbed off a team member's car and activated at the line. Later, a running change to more aggressive turbo impellers to spool the turbos up faster was made along with installing a looser converter from Precision Torque Converter.
With the engine stalling the converter at the line, getting the EFI calibration in the Big Stuff III controller to work all the way down the track took many more passes."

Torque converter? Did I read that right? They are using a torque converter?

The way I see it if they don't use a clutch pedal and they do use a torque converter then it's an automatic. Yeah, I know all about the clutchless manuals but the M6 guys that come here harping about "fun factor" are always referring to banging gears (downshifting included) which uses the clutch and does not use a torque converter.

You'll have to show me a link that specifies his tranmission does use a clutch pedal and does not use a torque converter before I will acknoledge this feat was done with a true "manual" transmission.

And as always, have a nice day
Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Darren, I dont want to argue about street racing etc. All I want to know is how can a auto making the same power as a 6 speed fair when both floor it at cruising speeds, let's say at a closed track that's legally sanctioned etc etc? I ask because the 6 speed will just drop it into 3rd and will still have 2 gears to go while the auto may just drop into 3rd with only o/d left. Is this question making any sense?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbrich
The reason they manual guys talk a lot of is because they are insecure with themselves. When was the last time you hear an automatic guy talk crap.

Sounds alot like Ford vs Chevy rivalry. You hear ALOT of Mustang guys talking smack. You don't hear many GM guys talking smack about Ford.

They know we're better and we know it too
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Not true. I own both and have hung out with both sides. Let me say by far Chevy guys talk the most crap. LS1 owners are the worst, then Vette owners, then 93+ Fbody owners.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

I'm just going on my own experience. I've got a Mustang buddy at work thats always talking smack. We took it to the track last summer and even though he had the edge on me horsepower-to-weight ratio, and several more years of experience driving down the .25, I still beat him. That was with my old M6 tranny.

I never ONCE talked any smack. He still talks smack to this day. He even has a new car hes building. Poor guy is obsessed with beating me.

I'm getting ready to put a TH400 w/ transbrake behind my new 408 which will smoke my old setup. You just can't beat a stalled auto w/ transbrake. And I'm saying goodbye to smoked clutches. no more. M6s are fun, but....

Anyway, since this thread is about M6 vs A4's, I'll shut up and move to another section.

Continue gents....

Last edited by 408WS6; 02-11-2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Darren, I dont want to argue about street racing etc. All I want to know is how can a auto making the same power as a 6 speed fair when both floor it at cruising speeds, let's say at a closed track that's legally sanctioned etc etc? I ask because the 6 speed will just drop it into 3rd and will still have 2 gears to go while the auto may just drop into 3rd with only o/d left. Is this question making any sense?
Yes it makes sense. But it is difficult to answer because alot has to do with gears, tires and torque converter setup. Sometimes the auto will win and sometimes the M6 will win. If they both have the same FWHP then there is a good chance the M6 will win. If they both have the same RWHP then there is a good drivers race that can easily go towards the auto.

My car has the stock 3.23's. This is a good gear to run at high speeds with because it keeps me in 3rd gear from approx 80-140 on my stock size tires. This is my 1:1 gear and thus the best gear for me to race in. My converter is a 3500 stall with a 4800 rpm shift extension. So lets say I line up against a M6 and we are both doing 65 MPH. He downshifts to second while I nail the gas pedal to the floor. He will have to shift into 3rd and 4th which leaves room for error (did he powershift? did he hit the gears cleanly?). On my side the TCI 3500 flashed me to 3500 rpm's and the 4L60E downshifted to 2nd gear. After just a few seconds I hit a fast (computer controlled) shift to third. My rpm's drop only to 4800 and I continue pulling from there as I won't max out 3rd gear until 142. By then I would hope the race has ended.

But a car with 3.73's and stock tires will run out of 3rd gear at 123 mph. If the race goes beyond that then the M6 has a HUGE advantage. But autos with 3.73's are setups for drag racing so many won't bother with highway type runs where they have a disadvantage.

2.73 gears hold third to 168! That gear with the right converter can be killer from a high speed roll.

It all depends on the gears and whether the M6 has any rwhp advantage. Plus driver also has to be added into the equasion on the M6 side.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

On the other hand, if you really want to kick an autos butt from a roll then try it at 35-40 mph. The A4 will likely be in for a butt kicken. This is a huge dead spot because the damn 4L60E won't downshift to first. A torque converter definately helps but it's still not as fast as it would be if we could get that damn first gear downshift

Getting an auto guy to agree to this kind of race can be difficult though. As an auto guy who is well knowledged on my transmission I would know to either speed up to 60+ or slow down to 25.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Torque converter? Did I read that right? They are using a torque converter?
Sweet...'nuff said...autos rule!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 408WS6
I'm getting ready to put a TH400 w/ transbrake behind my new 408 which will smoke my old setup. You just can't beat a stalled auto w/ transbrake. And I'm saying goodbye to smoked clutches. no more. M6s are fun, but....
You da man, brutha! And, as for the smack talking dude, all I can say is...once an A-hole...always an A-hole.

Quick Reply: "That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."