Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
On the street doing 65+ if a 6 speed pulls up beside you with the same Horsepower and drops it who will win to 120?
The cops win after they throw one or both participants in jail. Then the Judge wins when he earns his paycheck by passing sentence and most importantly the fines. Then the court wins when it collects those fines and in some states sells the cars.

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
6 speed correct? Would it be fair to say the 6 speed is better/faster for all around on the street performance? Ive seen races (from the passenger side seat) where someone is cruising with thier A4 doing 70 then trys to gun it but gets walked by a car with less horsepower and a M6.
It would be fair to say that street racing is stupid and illegal.

I've seen autos at the drag strip beat M6 cars that had more HP just because the auto had the right torque converter/gear/tire setup.
Old 02-09-2006 | 02:03 PM
7 Second Club

i'll say it again... if a stick car (t56 or liberty 6speed) is properly setup and properly driven it will beat a auto car with the same horse power and weight.

the reason:

because it can get more power to the ground.

id like to think a auto can launch better but all you have to do in a manual car is do about a 7k clutch drop and hold your *** in the seat now it is possible for a auto to launch a little better but ground will be made on down the track because of more HP getting to the ground from the stick car.

the reason many people choose a auto is because consistency and its no prone to breaking or needing a refreshining every weekend...

this is because many of us are bracket racers and bracket guys dont care who's faster only who takes the $ home.
Old 02-09-2006 | 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
id like to think a auto can launch better but all you have to do in a manual car is do about a 7k clutch drop and hold your *** in the seat now it is possible for a auto to launch a little better but ground will be made on down the track because of more HP getting to the ground from the stick car.
True enough. But the fastest F-bodies running autos are in the 2's for 60' times and the best M6 I know of is around a 3.7 60'. That may not seem like a big difference but a .1 advantage at 1000+ HP levels is huge.

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
the reason many people choose a auto is because consistency and its no prone to breaking or needing a refreshining every weekend...

this is because many of us are bracket racers and bracket guys dont care who's faster only who takes the $ home.
Exactly!
Old 02-09-2006 | 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by darrensls1
The cops win after they throw one or both participants in jail. Then the Judge wins when he earns his paycheck by passing sentence and most importantly the fines. Then the court wins when it collects those fines and in some states sells the cars.

I've seen autos at the drag strip beat M6 cars that had more HP just because the auto had the right torque converter/gear/tire setup.
Feel like preaching some more?
Old 02-09-2006 | 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8banger
Feel like preaching some more?
Why not rob a bank then while you're at it? This way you can get free mod money and have a fast get-away vehicle

Seriously though, we all know street racing is illegal and dangerous. I never do it so I can preach when the situation calls for it. If you're talking about some isolated road in the dessert then I say whatever floats your boat. Not my cup of tea but I won't judge when the only lives you're risking are your own.

But the BS of 65-1xx highway runs are always spur of the moment and almost always with alot of other traffic around. I know personally that I have almost been hit twice by punks racing through traffic on highways. One was two rice burners with fart cans and the other was a Mustang chasing a fast Civic.

There's just no excuse for such blatent disregard for other peoples right to live.

Last edited by darrensls1; 02-09-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2006 | 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not rob a bank then while you're at it? This way you can get free mod money and have a fast get-away vehicle

Seriously though, we all know street racing is illegal and dangerous. I never do it so I can preach when the situation calls for it. If you're talking about some isolated road in the dessert then I say whatever floats your boat. Not my cup of tea but I won't judge when the only lives you're risking are your own.

But the BS of 65-1xx highway runs are always spur of the moment and almost always with alot of other traffic around. I know personally that I have almost been hit twice by punks racing through traffic on highways. One was two rice burners with fart cans and the other was a Mustang chasing a fast Civic.

There's just no excuse for such blatent disregard for other peoples right to live.
'always spur of the moment and almost always alot of other traffic' - Hmmm, I don't know where you're racing, but that isn't how it is around here. It's one thing to state your opinion but to out and out call what someone else does 'stupid', well that's a well constructed argument right there. Not everyone who races on the street is a careless *******. We're not out to kill people, but since you fail to see it, I would simply be wasting my keystrokes arguing with you. Making a blanket statement that is, for the most part, ignorant is simply not acceptable. I have been street racing for my entire driving career, and my friends have as well, and I can say that we (I'm not speaking for everyone) don't have spur of the moment highway races in rush hour, nor do we set things up on heavily populated roads. There are two sides on every coin. Flip it before you talk. Thank you.
-Street Racer
Old 02-09-2006 | 04:52 PM
Banned

CASPER FROM WHEEL TO WHEEL IS THE FASTEST/QUICKEST LS1 IN THE WORLD, RONNIE DUKE'S GTO IS SECOND, BOTH HAVE CLUTCHED TRANSMISSIONS, AND BOTH ARE JUST AS STREET LEGAL AS THE ONE YOU LINKED ABOVE. SINCE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ I'LL LEAVE THIS IN CAPS SO MAYBE YOU'LL GET IT. PRO STOCK AN ALL MOTOR CLASS MAKING AROUND 1250RWHP USES A CLUTCHED LIBERTY 5SPEED RUNNING 6.60S ALL DAY LONG. THE ULTIMATE IN TRANSMISSIONS ARE MANUALY SHIFTED WITH A CLUTCH. NOW, having said that i'll say THIS once again. i personaly run a th400/5800rpm converter combo. you guys need to learn to read before you get your panties in a wad and start throwing out whatever bullshit you think up.
Old 02-09-2006 | 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

True enough. But the fastest F-bodies running autos are in the 2's for 60' times and the best M6 I know of is around a 3.7 60'. That may not seem like a big difference but a .1 advantage at 1000+ HP levels is huge.
Huh? Do you mean they are in the 1.2 second range for 60s? Otherwise that doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 02-09-2006 | 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gold Z
Manual transmissions impress high school kids, automatics win races.......screw the high school kids.
thats where i disagree. not doggin the automatic transmission but IMO the maunal transmission puts the driver back into the race. with an auto you mash the gas and go. maby pedle it a little but with a stick you gotta hit the points right, get the clutch out right.......not doggin anyone or anything, IMO an LS1 is an LS1. it dont matter what tranny is in it. but i prefer the M6 because it makes the driver win the race.
Old 02-09-2006 | 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
dude, like i've said the quickest LS1s both have MANUAL transmissions in them (one a clutch lenco, and the other a liberty)
Both of those have PLANETARY gearsets and can be shifted without disengaging the clucth; the driver just yanks on the appropriate lever at the right moment; they are almost "automatic"; but a tuned automatic will shift faster, harder and more consistently.

Last edited by joecar; 02-09-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:28 PM
On The Tree

If I really feel the need to work out my left leg I can always join a karate class, Yoga or take up jogging.
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:38 PM
On The Tree

CASPER FROM WHEEL TO WHEEL IS THE FASTEST/QUICKEST LS1 IN THE WORLD, RONNIE DUKE'S GTO IS SECOND, BOTH HAVE CLUTCHED TRANSMISSIONS, AND BOTH ARE JUST AS STREET LEGAL AS THE ONE YOU LINKED ABOVE. SINCE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T READ I'LL LEAVE THIS IN CAPS SO MAYBE YOU'LL GET IT. PRO STOCK AN ALL MOTOR CLASS MAKING AROUND 1250RWHP USES A CLUTCHED LIBERTY 5SPEED RUNNING 6.60S ALL DAY LONG. THE ULTIMATE IN TRANSMISSIONS ARE MANUALY SHIFTED WITH A CLUTCH. NOW, having said that i'll say THIS once again. i personaly run a th400/5800rpm converter combo. you guys need to learn to read before you get your panties in a wad and start throwing out whatever bullshit you think up.
Apple anyone?
Old 02-09-2006 | 08:59 PM
Banned

yes the liberty transmissions are shifted without engaging the clutch, but the clutch is still used to connect the transmission to the motor, the Liberty's lack of power train robery alone makes it far superior to any automatic (very close to 1% for the liberty from what i've heard from Liberty...and typically 10-20% in autos?)
Old 02-09-2006 | 09:05 PM
On The Tree

yes the liberty transmissions are shifted without engaging the clutch, but the clutch is still used to connect the transmission to the motor, the Liberty's lack of power train robery alone makes it far superior to any automatic (very close to 1% for the liberty from what i've heard from Liberty...and typically 10-20% in autos?)
Hmmm...let's see, that would make it far superior to your typical six speed as well, now wouldn't it?
Old 02-09-2006 | 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

So much to learn...I'm in awe.
Old 02-09-2006 | 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

comming from owning an auto in my last Z28 to now the 6 speed in my T/A...there are days I wish I had my auto still....and then days I dont miss it at all. For me when it comes to racing, I should really have an auto, because I suck at launching my car, and I do not powershift as my car is my daily driver and I dont feel like breaking something...but just for cruising around I like the M6. it is 50/50...whichever you prefer is what it comes down to. I did hate that when I had my Z28 everyone dropped the "oh..it's an auto" on me....stupid idiots.

and for the Z28/SS and normal T/A vs WS.6....I get the "oh, it's not a WS.6" comment all the time...i jsut shake my head and dont even try to explain.
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

"The cops win after they throw one or both participants in jail. Then the Judge wins when he earns his paycheck by passing sentence and most importantly the fines. Then the court wins when it collects those fines and in some states sells the cars.

I've seen autos at the drag strip beat M6 cars that had more HP just because the auto had the right torque converter/gear/tire setup."

Did I ask you for the lecture? Dont preach to me about what's legal and not legal. Who said we I or someone was street racing? Couldve been anywhere, couldve been legal. You know what they say about assumptions...
Old 02-10-2006 | 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

I havent read all of the replies in this thread, but Ill put it simply. Drag Racing guys prefer auto, whereas Road Track guys prefer manual... I have a 6 speed in my TA, and a 727 auto (which will have a manual valve body) in my Charger. Ive grown up around Formula racing, my dad has raced Formulas with many drivers in F1 (names are irrelevant to this subject)... And I believe true a racing is on a road track, not on the strip (no offense though). And Ive yet to see one Formula (F1, GP2/3000, F3, F4, Ford, Renault, etc...) to be an automatic, sure the shifting methods (on the wheel and sequential) have changed alot, but its still a manual.

But thats just my opinion on the subject.
Old 02-10-2006 | 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

Hmmm, I don't know where you're racing, but that isn't how it is around here.
I'm racing at New York International Raceway Park. It's a great track and I'm lucky to have moved relatively near it. It only costs $12 to run, I usually get four or more runs in, they have emergency crews standing (just in case) and it's completely legal.

It's one thing to state your opinion but to out and out call what someone else does 'stupid', well that's a well constructed argument right there.
Is street racing illegal? Yes.

Has street racing injured and even killed innocent people? Yes.

Does breaking the law and endangering lives (not to mention private property) fall into any possible catagory of smart? No.

Not everyone who races on the street is a careless *******. We're not out to kill people, but since you fail to see it, I would simply be wasting my keystrokes arguing with you. Making a blanket statement that is, for the most part, ignorant is simply not acceptable. I have been street racing for my entire driving career, and my friends have as well, and I can say that we (I'm not speaking for everyone) don't have spur of the moment highway races in rush hour, nor do we set things up on heavily populated roads. There are two sides on every coin. Flip it before you talk. Thank you.
-Street Racer
Drunks coming out of a bar tend to say they are ok to drive. Drug addicts (at one point or another) tend to say they don't have a problem. Convicted criminals tend to say "I didn't do it". And street racers tend to say they take every precaution, never race in traffic and are extremly skilled drivers.

The problem is 99% are full of crap. Like I said before, I don't care about what people do on otherwise desserted roads. It's still illegal but at least no one elses property or lives are at risk other then the participants and spectators. But many of these races (and you damn well know it) happen on not so desserted roads or happen as a spur of the moment occurance (Mustang enters the same highway as you and tries to pass). It doesn't have to be rush hour to have people on the road.

This is not a matter of traffic violations. Street racing is a criminal offense that can and has caused injuries, deaths, loss of property and even incarceration. It's just not worth it. Find a Drag srtip or auto course, pay the fees and enjoy the sport safely and legaly.

Last edited by darrensls1; 02-10-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2006 | 06:55 AM
11 Second Club

1). Turn off cap locks please. It only makes people not want to read what you have typed.

2). "An eternity passes as the T/A's parachute deploys. Finally, the board ignites and simultaneously, the crew erupts--7.94 at 176 mph! Hardcore's Mule is now the fastest LS1 in the country--"

Enough said.

3). I know you said you have a TH400 and converter. This is actually quite puzzling. You talk down to autos but you own one yourself. Seems to me that if you use your own logic (or lack there of) you should be switching to a manual because manuals are always faster.

Just not on this list:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php

You have a nice day now.

Quick Reply: "That car's hot, man... oh wait, too bad it's an Auto..."