Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are sings of a transmittion going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are sings of a transmittion going bad?

I just wanted to know what the biggest signs of a bad transmittion was. I know if it's slipping it needs to be rebuilt, but what are other signs. I have an A4 and it has slack in the driveline. Its not slipping or acting up in the trans. I believe it's in the rearend gears, because the transmittion shifts pretty smooth, but theres a clunk noise in the rear when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd, I checked the u-joints and they seem pretty good. I just want to make sure my transmittion is not the problem before I drop a 12 bolt in it.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slipping....sloppy shifts usually are the signs for failing trans
the clunk could be u-joints....dry yoke...maybe grease it and slide the driveshaft back in
Old 02-20-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Yep slipping or sloppy, sometimes ridiculously hard part throttle shifts, revving really high at part throttle like you have a 6000 rpm convertor when your convertor is stock, bouncing off the rev limiter no matter how high you set it and how low you set your shift points, losing forward gears...could go on and on.

Edit: have you checked your trans and torque arm mounts?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sign was the tranny in 3rd gear, me giving more gas trying to get to 4th gear, but it just kept revving higher and higher and not gaining speed, and never going into 4th gear.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mines 1st sign was when Overdrive became neutral and eventually(that day) only had 1st and reverse.. little did i know that its probalby the best thing that could have happen..
Old 02-20-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

I havn't checked any mounts or any thing. And a guy checked my ujoints out the other day and said they were normal. I just took a guy for a ride in it to let him hear the new sound (LTs), and it felt strong, but acted weird giong into second, like it wanted to jump out of gear and back in. Weird..... But then again it's spinning the hole time, so I dont know if since it dropped into low rpm (273's) so quick when it hit second, and then back up in the R's quick because it's spinning.. Hard to tell..

Also, I raced a ram air about two weeks ago and beat it pretty bad, could this be a sign that I'm just overreacting about the transmittion.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tranny slips, rough shifting, noisy, has no drive in forward or reverse gears, engine starts in gears other than P or N (adjust the neutral start switch), car moves with tranny in P, tranny will not downshift with the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor (adjust the throttle valve cable). My Haynes Repair Manual comes in handy.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
Tranny slips, rough shifting, noisy, has no drive in forward or reverse gears, engine starts in gears other than P or N (adjust the neutral start switch), car moves with tranny in P, tranny will not downshift with the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor (adjust the throttle valve cable). My Haynes Repair Manual comes in handy.
Well, it doesn't seem that bad!! No slippage, no rough shifting (except for clunk in rear) and it's never done any of the other stuff. Although I can rock it back and forth while in park but everyone says thats normal, just as long as it isn't rocking too much. Thanks for the info though, I do feel better.