Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E transbrake is installed

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Well I have not had success with mine and will probably be taking it out soon
more info on that? was the tranny rossler biult?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry. Trans is Vette Doctors built as is everything else. Several calls with Rossler and we still have not been able to get it right. May not be entirely brake related but it is suspect. They have built tranny's for me before but this is our first brake on the trans.

First it would not make the 2-3 shift even after it was set real low.
Something seems to make the motor bog out when I hold the button down and can't launch at all.

We think it might be bad communication with the traction control and the computer as it does not alway turn off when it appears to be turned off so may not be related to the brake at all but so far not one good full pass on it.

May try it again but no time for testing between races means it won't be for a while
Old 05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by REDGAR
Sorry. Trans is Vette Doctors built as is everything else. Several calls with Rossler and we still have not been able to get it right. May not be entirely brake related but it is suspect. They have built tranny's for me before but this is our first brake on the trans.

First it would not make the 2-3 shift even after it was set real low.
Something seems to make the motor bog out when I hold the button down and can't launch at all.

We think it might be bad communication with the traction control and the computer as it does not alway turn off when it appears to be turned off so may not be related to the brake at all but so far not one good full pass on it.

May try it again but no time for testing between races means it won't be for a while
Here is a copy of a thread I recently made on another board relating to the same TCS/limp mode problem a number of us F-body folks have had that is comopletely unrelated to the trans brake please read.
I have had an issue with my TCS for some time it would randomly turn itself off and then back on at an unopertune time. Over on CR most of you know Brian has been posting about his Phantom TCS issue. Brian showed me a link to an old post where they talked about the P0121 map code causing trouble.
Well That didnt sound right because I havent seen that code but it got me thinking about the code i do through all the time P0106 map. So went into engine diagnostics/ airflow/ mapsensor and found two tables that are the values for the high and low P0106 map. I lowered the values in the low table to 40% and NO MORE TCS LIGHT FLOATING ON AND OFF. I only lowered it 20% the first time and watched the TCS go off when the code threw so i lowered it to 40% and that was the end of it. I may take it down even further but this appears to be a geniune fix not a mask over that still allows the tcs to float in and out. Thought I would share the wealth.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Ray thanks for the insight. I have never gotten any of those codes or similar to it. You also indicate the light coming on and going off but in my case specifically there is no flicker or off an on. What I get is this, hit the TC button to turn it off and the light displays on the dash making me believe it is on, then go to launch and basically what I guess is limp mode happens and I go nowhere. If I stay in it, it goes. Turning the car off and on, now the tc light is off leading me to believe it TC on and it does the same thing. hitting the button off and on a bunch of times clears it up. Don't know if one time will do it or 4 cycles or more of off and on is what I have been doing

Not sure if it is the exact thing but I will share this info with with Carmen to see what he thinks.

Now as to why I think/thought it was the break is that I made like 12 passes successively and this did not happen. Tried the brake and it did and has been doing it since
Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by nick y
redgar how do u like it?
at what rpm are you brakin it to?
60ft?

Nice as you can see from my other posts here and from our rental at Atco, I really have not had a chance to get it all working at the same time to make any judgement on the brake. Not sure what it is. The couple times I tried it and launched it did not shift 2-3. The launches were spectacular and traction was not there so the 60's were not better than footbraking, in fact worse.

One day it is all going to work
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMS 72
i am also very interested in this. i build transmissions also and have always kind of shunned the overdrive trannys because of their weakness but curiosity gets the best of the cat if ya know what i mean. i have built many of race style th350,th400, and powerglides with and without transbrakes. so what all is needed to make a 4l60e hold up besides the norm...red clutches, kevlar bands,and so on.
Not trying to steal the thread here... am very interested in the brake issue myself... lots to learn there.

The question quoted here is a bit of a loaded one though. To begin with you will need a whole bunch of patience.

If we are talking about a heads / cam car there are several upgrades needed.. better soft parts obviously, a few hard parts here and there. But mostly a very keen understanding of this units hydraulic and electrical circuits. Installing the parts is the easy part (no pun intended), the best thing I could do for you is to say you need to build about 20 to 30 of them in all different kinds of applications... stock, minor mods, 400-450 H/P, 450 - 550 H/P and up... you will find that typically as the H/P goes up so goes the shift RPM... and that opens a whole new can of worms with making the parts live, oh and not to mention rpm's dramatically change shift timing...you will be humbled. You should get to know a tuner in your area very well if you start a 4L60E program up.

Ask any builder here, they will tell you it is not easy getting to the point where you can build one for just about any application, in fact it is dang hard, expensive and time consuming. Been there done that. Don't be discouraged, I wasn't and have had some significant accomplishments building them. Learned alot about learning alot if you know what I mean.

Good luck to you. Tese aren't your average run of the mill 3 speed, they can be finicky. You might consider starting a thread about this for yourself in order to learn more. But hey what do I know.

g
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
8 Second Club

ANYMORE updates ?
Not really anything else to add. The brake has worked great and the trans has held up very well. Alot of people felt the 4l60 would grenade under the load of a brake but its all been good for me

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 11-27-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

thats what I like to hear !
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

i know its off season but how is this holding up for you ?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 AM
8 Second Club

I have had Really good success with the brake. I think that all of the naysayers that thought and said the 4l60 would grenade from the impact were wrong. Carl asked me to bring him the Transmission this winter. He has some new parts he want "tested" I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolrayz
I have had Really good success with the brake. I think that all of the naysayers that thought and said the 4l60 would grenade from the impact were wrong. Carl asked me to bring him the Transmission this winter. He has some new parts he want "tested" I will let you know what the outcome is.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

sorry to bring this back from the dead but I am interested in a transbrake, and more updates from anyone using one? I have seen the issues Redgar had first hand and they left a bad impression, I just want to see what others have to say...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
8 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/920170-packing-tires-4l60e-transbrake.html
Here is an active thread in the drag section. Its obvious how it has worked out for me.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

john lmk what you do...we have the same tranny and i want a t/b also...it would keep me from going glide...lmk im just scared of ruining a tranny....
Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
john lmk what you do...we have the same tranny and i want a t/b also...it would keep me from going glide...lmk im just scared of ruining a tranny....
I have the same fear, and I haven't talked to Frank about it yet to get his take on the whole thing, last I heard he wasn't thrilled with the idea of putting a brake on it, btu there are a few guys that have been successful so I may try to talk him into being a test bed for it on one of his builds...
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea mine needs a fresh this winter...id like to have it as an option when i do it then....find out and well have to get together about it again...i wouldent mind being a test as far as labor but not for shipping costs and reabuild cost...couldent afford it
Old 05-16-2008, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
yea mine needs a fresh this winter...id like to have it as an option when i do it then....find out and well have to get together about it again...i wouldent mind being a test as far as labor but not for shipping costs and reabuild cost...couldent afford it
yeah that is the advantage of being less then 45 minutes away. I can stop by and talk to him about it in person to get a read on how he really feels...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

so whats the likelyhood this is still running strong ??
Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM
8 Second Club

Here is a photo from last year
Bottom picture is a moser 31 spline axle from last year. Transmission one moser axles 0
I am in the process of switching over to a power glide. I will be over 1000rwhp with the new turbo setup and the tall first gear will be to violent. I will be getting the transmission refreshed to new condition and selling it.
Name:  083108GI0054B.jpg
Views: 5488
Size:  135.5 KB
Name:  DSC01430.jpg
Views: 5552
Size:  46.1 KB
Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Here is a photo from last year
Bottom picture is a moser 31 spline axle from last year. Transmission one moser axles 0
I am in the process of switching over to a power glide. I will be over 1000rwhp with the new turbo setup and the tall first gear will be to violent. I will be getting the transmission refreshed to new condition and selling it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E transbrake is installed