Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converter problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default converter problems?

I'm having lockup issues in 4th. It'll work fine for about 10 min, then gradually unlock. freeway lockup around 1800rpm, then it will slowly increase to like 3000rpm+. I think the trans is fine, but this is the 2nd converter I've had problems with and another swap is so freaking expensive!

Should i try a warranty replacement or switch to Yank? I bought it from Speed Inc. about 6 months ago, put about 7k miles on it. Vig also offers a free stall change....i was thinking 3600 maybe
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may have false missfires with the lighter converter. Look for the thread "converter locks/unlocks randomly fix" or something similar to that.. should help you out..
Old 04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a tuning issue to me. The computer controls the lockup.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Junkie

well i tried to see if it was a converter issue the next time it did it. Well, the revs soared, like when unlocked....however there was almost no power. I think the tranny is slipping.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:44 AM
9 Second Club

set the misfire detection to a high temp you will never reach and then try it. you need someone to do some logging on it first. I assume you have a vacuum modulated tranny correct?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah its vacuum modulated. I need to pull my engine bay mounted line-pressure gauge out by the window , and see what it reads the next time it does this. That will be a pain in the *** though, as I'll have to hold the gauge out the window on the freeway till it acts up.....probably a good 10 miles or more.

I shouldn't be getting misfires anymore, got new plugs and wires like a month ago. What else could cause it?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
yeah its vacuum modulated. I need to pull my engine bay mounted line-pressure gauge out by the window , and see what it reads the next time it does this. That will be a pain in the *** though, as I'll have to hold the gauge out the window on the freeway till it acts up.....probably a good 10 miles or more.

I shouldn't be getting misfires anymore, got new plugs and wires like a month ago. What else could cause it?

You can still have FALSE MISSFIRES. This doesnt mean that you are actually getting missfires. Any time you change the rotational assembly by making it lighter/heavier (in your case lighter--higher stalls are smaller than stock and about 20lbs lighter) this throws off the computer test paramaters(how it detects missfires) and creates FALSE MISSFIRES in turn unlocking your converter. Did you even look for the thread i told you about "Converter locks/unlocks randomly fix"
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

yes i did, but i think its not a converter issue now
Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

My sons car does the same thing and it set a code, something about a solenoid in the trans sticking. His is fine after it sits a while and cools down. He was told that the solenoid can be reached by just dropping the pan (not the valvebody) and it was about $60-$80. Sorry I can't be more specific about the name of the solenoid.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fyi

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I need to pull my engine bay mounted line-pressure gauge out by the window , and see what it reads the next time it does this. That will be a pain in the *** though, as I'll have to hold the gauge out the window on the freeway till it acts up.....probably a good 10 miles or more.
Just a little trick I've learned. Take your gauge and duct tape it to the window. Holding a gauge in your hand and trying to drive is just a pain and not a good idea. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Just a little trick I've learned. Take your gauge and duct tape it to the window. Holding a gauge in your hand and trying to drive is just a pain and not a good idea. Good luck!
good idea! i'm gonna try it next week. I know its idle pressure is low. ~50psi and Rock-On told me it should be like 70-100psi at idle.