Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone lock their converter at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't mind trying it...My car dynoed 25rwhp more with the converter locked
Old 04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cablebandit
my 4l60e always locked in 3rd...at WOT...110mph to be exact...just past the 1/8....just enabled lock up in the tcc table....i'd gain 3-4 mph...dunno about et

it will lock up in 1st as well as i have done it manually with hptuners....forgot to unlock it and it stalled out at the light and bucked hard of course.

you can do all this in software...the tables are there....i had a multi disc converter that was made to be locked at wot.
Was it more beneficial to lock it right when it goes into 3rd, or near the top of the gear?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

i locked it up right after 3rd since my converter would blow thru a little. I did not want it locked up during shifts because it is a HARD shift even at part throttle...i know at WOT it would break something. It all depends on what your converter is doing for your car as to wether or not it helps
Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan
I wouldn't mind trying it...My car dynoed 25rwhp more with the converter locked
Wouldn't like your 25 rwhp advantage to be useable down the entire track for best results?
If you lock 3rd only you might* see a tenth and 1 mph.
Lock it way before and .2-.3 like i saw and 3+mph.
My conveter would lock in 1st about 30 feet out and stay locked. You need a switch to do this.
* maybe gm eliminated (overided) manual control of first because of warranty issues - I dont know. I dont have a 4L60E to try it on.
Someone should try it.

Last edited by gold86vette; 05-05-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwiktim
That's what we are here to discuss, on the older 700R4 (Camaro, ect) and 2004R (Buick GN) you could simply wire a simple STSP switch from the top left pin on the ALDL (ground) to the top right pin (TCC) and when you flip your switch to ground the converter it would lock when hitting second gear and stay locked manually through third and OD as well.

With those trannys, you can come to a stop, flip the switch, take off, and as soon as it shifted second gear it will lock up............ This is the idea we are discussing on the 4L60E, but it doesn't sound like the transmission can apply enough pressure on the clutch to fully lock under WOT........ maybe, maybe not.

Regardless, with the 4L60E you would have to wire a switch directly to a TCC pin on the PCM, not being able to do a simple switch like on the older trannys through the ALDL. This would probably set a code and trip the SES light to........ again, why we are here discussing this.

And we are talking about WOT lockup, not part throttle, just to be clear.
On a 700r4 Car how would the car know you hit second gear? The computer only sees 4th gear engagement and the trans has a external shift regulator that is spring controled.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

The 700R4 lockup is mechanical, not "actually" electronic......... the computer controls an electric solonoid in the tranny that controls fluid flow to lock or unlock the converter, so mecahincally, in first gear, there is no fluid pressure being applied to be able to lock the converter. In second/third/OD this passage has fluid applied mechanically and when the solonoid sees ground from the PCM (or manual switch) it opens and allows pressure to this passage enabling lock up.

The converter itself has no electronic devices inside, and is dependant on the transmission to have the ability to lock.

Last edited by qwiktim; 04-25-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Old Drag Racer

I've got a switch to lock my PT4000 converter. Because of its high shift extension that keeps the engine at maximum power during the whole run, I don't benefit that much from locking the converter. I lock it at around 90-95 MPH in 3rd gear. Any before that and it drags the engine down to a point where it's making less power than if I left it unlocked hence slowing me down. I'm only making about 15-20 more horsepower locked vs unlocked because the converter is doing its job well. Locking the converter like this didn't do that much for performance but it was measurable. I'm not making a lot of horsepower at this point though and I'd expect a higher horsepower motor to make much more of a difference than my car is showing. I picked up a MPH from my best unlocked pass to my best locked pass overall. The main difference I saw was that my MPH gain from the 660' to the 1320' picked up about 2 when I locked the converter vs leaving it unlocked. I was picking up 21 n'change out the end unlocked and I picked up 23 n'change out the end locked. I'm still testing the car but will not even try locking the converter in 1st or 2nd gear. My transmission has the full manual valve body conversion and shifts violently even through this monster converter. It'd surely break something if I locked the conveter and executed a shift. As I mentioned in another thread about this same thing that I started a while back, I'd expect a FI or N20 motor to benefit much more than a N/A motor. The added torque should help pull the engine back up much more quickly than a peaky high horsepower combo or even a stock combo like I have.

Quick Reply: Does anyone lock their converter at the track?