Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding difficulty 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding difficulty 4l60e

How hard is a 94 Z28 4l60e too rebuild can someone do this as a home project.
There is a cd-rom on rebuilding these transmissions has anyone tackled this
project using this product. I would also like too hear what rebuilding kits others have used and how there holding up.I've heard that people are building these units too hold as much as 800 to 1000hp and torque number's that would make OEM blush.How is this possable and what are the critical parts that are changed and by what process are these parts made over stock. Such as new one off products by means of cnc or just heated and cooled with visual inspection.Any other tips would be great and or website.
Any transmission builders in the Charlotte NC area that have knowledge on
these units and can build too high performance application leave a reply
and contact info. Thank's looking forword too your reply's.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Rebuilding a modern 4-speed automatic transmission is a daunting task for a DIY project, especially if you have never done it before. It's a complex piece of machinery that requires specific tools and knowledge to do it correctly. There are probably only a handful of shops (certainly not your average trans shop) who can build these trannies to handle big power. Fotunately we have a sponsor on this board who can do it.. FLT.

Personally this is one area I leave to an expert who will do it correctly the first time. Certainly not cheap, but a worthwhile investment that will save you money in the long run.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Visit this site and view the tech articles; http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/index.php?

You have to register but it's worth it. There's a write up on rebuilding the 4L60E that gives you a good idea of what you're getting in to.

We rebuilt my son's in the garage over a weekend and it's been a long time since I've been inside any transmission and my first 4L60E. There are a lot of parts but I think most people that do a lot of their own work could do this if they just tried. Get a good service manual specific to your transmission type and year. Set up two benches, one to lay parts on in order as you take them out and the other to assemble on. Clean everything very good and soak all the new parts before putting them in. Take your time taking it a part and look at how things fit together, just reverse to assemble.

As far as parts there are a ton of recommendations on here and a couple of the sponsors sell the parts they use to build high HP trannys. I think the clutches/steels, band, servo and shell are the place to start. If you're going to be building up a real high HP motor then you might need to look at other hard parts too.

As to the tools, you probably have most of what you need to do this. It's nice to have a press but you can use clamps. Seals would be the one area that the correct tool is a must. You could probably get a local builder/shop to put these in/on for you at minimal cost.

Just my .02, may be worth less.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freezin94
How hard is a 94 Z28 4l60e too rebuild can someone do this as a home project.
There is a cd-rom on rebuilding these transmissions has anyone tackled this
project using this product. I would also like too hear what rebuilding kits others have used and how there holding up.I've heard that people are building these units too hold as much as 800 to 1000hp and torque number's that would make OEM blush.How is this possable and what are the critical parts that are changed and by what process are these parts made over stock. Such as new one off products by means of cnc or just heated and cooled with visual inspection.Any other tips would be great and or website.
Any transmission builders in the Charlotte NC area that have knowledge on
these units and can build too high performance application leave a reply
and contact info. Thank's looking forword too your reply's.
I spent about 1000 in parts about a year and a half ago and I just dumped another 1800 just in parts last week (not counting the Yank). Trans has never been in the car yet. I will now have every available HP part available for the 4L60E but at this point I could have just had someone build it for me. Replaced damn near everything inside. Had my own Trans shop back in the early eighties. The tools are crucial for a rebuild. Without the right piston compressors it basically cant be done. You should buy the overhaul DVD though so you can judge for yourself.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Thank for the info.It is starting too make me lean toward FLT as my builder.
I went too a local shop today and he told me he would build it for 500 bucks.
One more quistion this guy was told too me from two people I know.
He looks like he mostly does repairs and I don't know how much performance
building he does.Would someone with let's say 10years of rebuilding under his
belt be able too install a full 4l60e too 4l65e conversion with a full raptor master rebuild kit. And get the install done correct.
Or is there some trade secrets that make them hold the 450 too 550 hp that my LT1 is gonna be putting out. Thanks guy's for all your advice.
One more thing that $500 is just labor install parts i supply.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Teching In

beam me up scotty
Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Launching!

$500 for the labour is pretty cheap in my opinion, if the shop does a real good job and an intensive rebuild.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freezin94
Thank for the info.It is starting too make me lean toward FLT as my builder.
I went too a local shop today and he told me he would build it for 500 bucks.
One more quistion this guy was told too me from two people I know.
He looks like he mostly does repairs and I don't know how much performance
building he does.Would someone with let's say 10years of rebuilding under his
belt be able too install a full 4l60e too 4l65e conversion with a full raptor master rebuild kit. And get the install done correct.
Or is there some trade secrets that make them hold the 450 too 550 hp that my LT1 is gonna be putting out. Thanks guy's for all your advice.
One more thing that $500 is just labor install parts i supply.
PM sent
Old 04-28-2006, 04:16 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had REAL good luck with RPM transmissions...give Rodney a call....he is in Anderson, IN. I broke a $3771.00 Rossler 4L60E and he rebuilt it....hasn't broken yet!

SDB

Quick Reply: rebuilding difficulty 4l60e