33.95%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

stay auto or go six speed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

onebadblackz, clean the mud (?) out of your console and throw away all the trash on the floor!!

ouch, my eyes! I hate a dirty car.

Back on topic: If you are going to drag race the car, auto FTW

My primary drag car is an auto and my others are M6's. The M6 IMHO is more fun on the street, but my SSF 3500 stalled stroker LT4 isn't far behind on the fun factor. With an auto, you get a lot more consistent launches (not to mention ET's), so you can dial in the suspension more easily. I've taken manual cars to the track many times and it can be very frustrating trying to hit that sweet spot between bog and spin.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Having driven both for many miles and talking to many people: it seems most people don't tend to keep a 6 speed long. They get bored of it. It seems that an auto can take the line quicker also.

The only really good advantage is the fuel econ the freeway.
YOU ARE A YOUNG'IN----have had manuals for over 30 years..if u don't shift your own gears..you ain't driving.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
YOU ARE A YOUNG'IN----have had manuals for over 30 years..if u don't shift your own gears..you ain't driving.
I drag race all the time at my local track. If you have a manual..you ain't winning
Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I drag race all the time at my local track. If you have a manual..you ain't winning

hahahahahahahhaha

ohh thats a good one to say back to guys that give me **** for having an auto, even though I will finish the 1/4 seemingly twice as fast as any of them.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

both have there advantages and dissadvantages. autos with a stall will be faster and more consisstant, but 6spds are more fun to throw them gears. the 6spd can take more power before it breaks, but dont miss a shift. and the clutches are a nice expensive peice to replace, same as the rear end(gotta love the 10 bolt) i voted 6spd
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

im looking to get all tghe parts to swp to 6 spd. i looking to get a le2 package and dont want to have to build my tranny. plus 6sp is more fun on street and better gas mileage on hwy.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CuNfUzEd
A wise man learns from his mistakes. A wiser man learns from anothers mistakes
I couldn't agree more. I have plenty of friends with various setups. I see the auto is the way to go for drag racing. For an all around street car, m6 is the way to go.

Andy
Old 09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

And 6-speeds are boring without a Moser 9" under them. Every since I got my 9" the car has never been more fun to drive. Heck I went from running a 12.88@118.5 to a 10.89@126 all from just a rear end, a torque arm, and tires.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cha1nz1535
"autos win races manuals impress high school kids"
Maybe. But 6-speeds can win races, and NOBODY is impressed with an automatic.

Manual takes a certain amount of ***** and skill to drive fast. Conversely, if you can step on a bug, you can drive an auto.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Stay with the A4 bro
Old 09-22-2006, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blacksnake

Manual takes a certain amount of ***** and skill to drive fast. Conversely, if you can step on a bug, you can drive an auto.
Ok. Here we go again. First of all, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to work a clutch and shifter. Anyone with half a brain and two legs can manage this. So conversely, if you can jump on two bugs at the same time, you can drive a stick.

Second. Have you seen what transmission type most single digit f-bodies tend to use? I'll give you a hint it starts with the letter "A". Ever been to a track and see something like this:

Car "A" runs 12.5 @ 108 and beats car "B" that runs 12.6 @ 111. Then you learn car "A" was a stalled automatic LS1 Formula while car "B" turned out to be a manual C5 LS1 Vette. Now the vette gets to go back to the pit and brag about how he shifted himself. The Vette gets to go back to the pits and brag about how he has more RWHP. And sadly, our LS1 Formula only gets to go back to the pits and try to console himself with the only positive thing he has. HE WON THE RACE BTW that race did happen (if you couldn't tell) and it was one of the closest races I ever had.

Now lets look at the good old TH350/TH400 automatic transmissions. Cheap to build, can handle huge HP applications, use reverse manual valve body, use a T-brake and use torque converters. Now I bring this up because guess what reverse manual valve body means? That's right! You have to shift yourself! BUT you don't have the hinderance or expense of a clutch and you do have the advantage of a torque converter. Best of both worlds IMO.

If you want to win a race on a road course then get a M6. If you want to win a "fast and the furious" street race which usually starts from a roll then get a M6. But if you want to line up at a 1/4 mile track, get slammed back in your seat, sip on your soda and still beat the kid with a manual in the lane next to you, then get an Auto and stall that bitch!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TeEnAgE pHeNoM
And 6-speeds are boring without a Moser 9" under them. Every since I got my 9" the car has never been more fun to drive. Heck I went from running a 12.88@118.5 to a 10.89@126 all from just a rear end, a torque arm, and tires.

Dammnnnnnnnnn What a jump !
Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

autos win races and 6-speeds impress high school kids
Could not have said it better myself!!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

I've been running/racing manuals(4,5, and 6's)for the last thirty years. Never ever owned an auto hot rod.

While there is NOTHING like a 6600 dump, or working the gears on a twisting mountain road.... the abuse and inevitable subsequent carnage/maintanence/frustration factor is high w/a manual.

Even after the 12 bolt, there was always the POS hydrolics/costly PITA clutch swaps that plagued me..... not to mention the insane clutch chatter or PITA city/rush hour traffic clutch pedal fest..... and I don't care how good you are w/a manual(and I like to think I was perty damn good),there IS a fine line between a good launch and a hook n' bog, or a smoke show on any given day and any given track.

I just recently finished an M6 > stalled TB'd LU TH400 swap 'bout a month ago, and can honestly say this car is a phuckin' blast to drive again, and I still get to "drive" it (so to speak) w/the RMVB. I can't believe it took me this long to "get it"..... but hey, I've always been a lil' hard headed

The M6 was fun for playin' around, but a stalled auto is the ONLY way to go if you're even halfway serious about ET.

I guess it really boils down to what the car is used for and what makes you happy
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

My .02 on this is M6 are more fun to drive around town. And racing from a roll, I prefer an M6. And lets face it, the majority of street races are from a roll.

But racing from a dig at the track, a stalled auto tends to 60' its *** off versus the M6, as well as be more consistent. And if you spend alot of time at the track, your going to get tired of replacing clutches. At least thats what happened to me. To simplify it:

Track car = rvmb stalled auto
Street Racer = M6

Thats the way I'd go
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Ok. Here we go again. First of all, it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to work a clutch and shifter. Anyone with half a brain and two legs can manage this. So conversely, if you can jump on two bugs at the same time, you can drive a stick.

Second. Have you seen what transmission type most single digit f-bodies tend to use? I'll give you a hint it starts with the letter "A". Ever been to a track and see something like this:

Car "A" runs 12.5 @ 108 and beats car "B" that runs 12.6 @ 111. Then you learn car "A" was a stalled automatic LS1 Formula while car "B" turned out to be a manual C5 LS1 Vette. Now the vette gets to go back to the pit and brag about how he shifted himself. The Vette gets to go back to the pits and brag about how he has more RWHP. And sadly, our LS1 Formula only gets to go back to the pits and try to console himself with the only positive thing he has. HE WON THE RACE BTW that race did happen (if you couldn't tell) and it was one of the closest races I ever had.

Now lets look at the good old TH350/TH400 automatic transmissions. Cheap to build, can handle huge HP applications, use reverse manual valve body, use a T-brake and use torque converters. Now I bring this up because guess what reverse manual valve body means? That's right! You have to shift yourself! BUT you don't have the hinderance or expense of a clutch and you do have the advantage of a torque converter. Best of both worlds IMO.

If you want to win a race on a road course then get a M6. If you want to win a "fast and the furious" street race which usually starts from a roll then get a M6. But if you want to line up at a 1/4 mile track, get slammed back in your seat, sip on your soda and still beat the kid with a manual in the lane next to you, then get an Auto and stall that bitch!
hell yeah, Autos are the way to go
Old 10-08-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TWS
onebadblackz, clean the mud (?) out of your console and throw away all the trash on the floor!!

ouch, my eyes! I hate a dirty car.

Back on topic: If you are going to drag race the car, auto FTW

My primary drag car is an auto and my others are M6's. The M6 IMHO is more fun on the street, but my SSF 3500 stalled stroker LT4 isn't far behind on the fun factor. With an auto, you get a lot more consistent launches (not to mention ET's), so you can dial in the suspension more easily. I've taken manual cars to the track many times and it can be very frustrating trying to hit that sweet spot between bog and spin.

its not mud its dust from my brothers shop he worked in it all day with my windows down and I got the trash out as soon as the tranny was back in...
I was in tears when I saw that **** in my car because my car has always been clean but my brother just thought it was funny...
Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

and this is a more recent picture
Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blacksnake

well you put someone that doesn't no much about ratchet shifter in my car and they won't be going no were... put someone that doesn't no much about cars at all in your car and they can still get down the road ..... last time my friend tried driving my car he got pissed off cause he couldn't put it in gear....
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Hey I just thought about something. Since nobody is impressed with autos these guys wasted thier time, knowledge and resources.

After all even a F-body that runs 6.86 @ 205 mph won't impress NOBODY because it has an auto transmission

Ok, I think we have had enough fun with blacksnakes quote.

Or have we?