Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 output shaft has A LOT of play in it

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th400 output shaft has A LOT of play in it

and was causing a bad vibration at partial throttle on the 1-2 shift. i know it is susposed to have a little play but i can move it around a ton, something is definetly broken/worn out. it has gotten progressively worse since i put the trans in. i bought it used so i guess it is my own fault.

my question is= what is it? im guessing a bearing or a bushing in there that wore out- probably a thrust bearing (?). i pulled the tail off of the trans and the bearing/bushing is on the other side, meaning the trans has to be taken completly apart to fix/replace it .

yeah i have NO ******* luck with this car. been through FOUR 4l60e's since the summer time, now my th400 has to come out and get tore down. makes me want to quit the hobby alltogether but enough bitching from me==

any info on my question would be much appreciated. i'd like to know ahead of time so the trans guy can't try to tell me something different and potentially rip me off.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

i was wondering the same thing too when i got mine. i took the converter out to get restalled and since then its alomost 100% gone. I had changed the bushing inside the tailshaft and it was a little worn but not to much. i still think that it shouldnt have any play but it seems to be alright now.

now my th400 has to come out and get tore down. makes me want to quit the hobby alltogether but enough bitching from me==
you sound like what i said. went through2 4l60's in 2 months. just take the tailshaft assembly off and replace the bushing. i had a friend with a lift and the right tools do it. it only cost 20 bucks and it helped quite a bit. I think it was mostly the converter though....
Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine has a little play, but I think it's o.k. Not hign excessive. All the vibration from mine is coming from the CSR shield that hits the floor.. it is a little obnoxious, but I'd rather have that and know my feet will stay intact if something were to ever explode... then have no noise, and have something evil happen... and me end up getting out of my car, foot staying in the car, know what I mean?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Your dealing with two bushings , one in the tail housing easily changed and will most likley fix your problem and one in the case that should be replaced with every rebuild.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-19-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

so let me get this straight. the easily replaced bushing in the tail may fix the problem? i dropped the trans out today because i was thinking it had to be torn down dropped that **** by MYSELF in the garadge, on my back, using a floor jack. fun stuff..

that bushing seemed ok, and a buddy had a th400 out last night and his output shaft had a little less play than mine, but still a good amount.

i don't wanna just drop it off at the trans shop and get bent over if it is something simple, but on the other hand better safe than sorry.

it is a yank converter, i doubt that is the issue but anything is possible i guess. i'd just like it to be completly right so i don't have to worry about it for a while. im getting WAY too good at dropping the trans out of the car.

### it has a JW bellhousing on it. didn't think it was hitting the floor but maybe(?). that would be a motherfuker if that is what it was, but for some reason i highly doubt it.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well since you have it out have them replace the tail housing bushing an the rear case bushing

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like a plan. wintertime anyway now... just frustrating at this point.

thanks for the help. now i'll be having nightmares about getting it back in and having the same vibration

performabuilt- how much you guys charge for that? hell if you are a little cheaper i may be interested in using performabuilt instead of the "local guy". although the local guy has a very good rep with the fast big cid motors around my area.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

we don't do repairs other than our own units if the need arises ,
sorry but if we can ever help you with a trans or converter replacment let us know.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-21-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

i understand.

took it to the trans builder today. he tore it down in front of me (this guy is pretty good, took him 10 minutes) and showed me how perfect the inside actually was. he also doesn't think it is the bushing causing the issues but is going to replace them and replace the seals/clean everything up for me. all of the hard parts are perfect and the clutches are all perfect.

i did learn it does have the good stuff inside of it. the case was cracked however near the pump and it is getting replaced so having it torn down was a blessing in disguise.

he was saying that it seems more like a driveline issue. guess i'll see! i was also told it definetly not the converter since it doesn't make a vibration in park or neutral, only when moving.

thanks for the info performabuilt.

Quick Reply: th400 output shaft has A LOT of play in it