Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converters... You get what you pay for

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1jfuddle, you are good sir. It sounds like you stand behind your product. Your warranty program seems great. I would buy from you if I needed another converter. (Contradicting my other post).
Old 12-23-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Most of the clutch failures reported on this board are caused by the normal wear of routine driving and not because someone sprayed a 200 shot through a locked clutch. Unless the converter is being locked up at WOT by someone who changed the programming or installed a switch, it simply isn't going to see a lot of torque whether the car is heads & cam or stock. Look at the PCM programming. You simply can not get close to WOT without the clutch unlocking.

You can alter the friction properties of the clutch material and strength of the material, but having more surface area rather than less is more appealing to me. I've seen a number of different "superior" clutch materials fail over time in clutches with reduced surface area.
I've actually seen a trend with clutch failures on here - most of them are installed on the stock transmission and its trying to use PWM, which has to be a cause for wear I would think.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I've actually seen a trend with clutch failures on here - most of them are installed on the stock transmission and its trying to use PWM, which has to be a cause for wear I would think.
The low-budget racer who does not shift-kit their car to eliminate PWM is reducing the lifespan of a clutch designed NOT to slip. Some mods must be supported by other mods, and the stock tranny is just that - a STOCK tranny. Put something in that changes GM operating specs. and you MUST consider the repurcussions.

Im afraid longevity is bought at a price. Some converters have clutches designed to slip, but certainly ceramic and carbon clutches are materials selected NOT to.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys this was in a brand new Performabuilt level 3 tranny. I dont think line pressure was an issue. Evrything worked great, the shifts were extremely firm and chrisp. I had about 250 miles on the combo and i never saw temps higher than 180 degrees. Normally they was around 150. I was going down the hwy at 65mph when it started acting up. A weird noise was coming from i assume from the converter. It great that fuddle stands behind his product and best of luck to him. I just wanted to show people what exactally they are getting. Im just wanting to get my car back on the road at this point. It has been very frustrating, But i would like to thank Frank from Performabuilt once agian for helping me out in time of need.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

250 miles is odd to have total clutch failure. For WHATEVER reason, not enuff pressure was being supplied I would guess.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1jfuddle
Actually, real world testing and R&D has shown this clutch's ability to handle even a well modified LS1 due to the demanding build process involved in controlling clutch surface, using the correct materials, and precision cover work. While the piston cannot house a clutch the size of our HP/Street (no converter we've seen does-including from your former employer), this clutch is more than capable of handling even well modified LS1 setups. Ask the hundreds of happy Fuddle Performance Series customers. They will beg to differ with your assessment. As stated, this converter has proven itself time and again in modified setups.

Yes, but you have forgotten the volume difference between a factory 298mm (GM V8 in 1995), and a 245mm converter. Significant volume is lost moving to a smaller converter, and, as such, pressure on the blades is never going to be the same as in a full diameter converter. Also, torque multiplication is at its greatest on initial impact on the blades ("JUST starting to take off").
I guess it is my turn to nit pick. Sorry.

We have more than 20 years of experience in building converters, and once again, we not only offer, but encourage our customers to take advantage of free refreshes under warranty. This means that our highest powered customers have their converters back after hard seasons to get a good once over. We have never seen deformation of the blades. Even on extreme setups.

Aren't you only in your 20's or just out of it? I guess they start early in your family.

Look, if you ignore factor of safety you end up with what you just got. Broken parts. I get sick of people using the "IM THE WORLD" arguement and "THE FEW ARE THE SAME AS THE WHOLE argument." Just because it works for a couple of people don't mean it works in the real world.

Please post your research. As you have never release ANY research before but always claim to be out of state researching.

Further if you wish to talk about impulses and forces on the blades you need to look at more than just raw volume. The size ratio, flow speed, and speed ratio are all important. Just because you decrease the mean diameter doesn't mean you can use bottom of the barrel parts and expect it to hold up to modern cars.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Fuddle,

Can you please explain the differences between the clutch which you use in many hi power applications and this take out clutch from a 2.2L 120HP Cavalier?

Your clutch

Take out Cavalier

Notice that the carbon CERMANIC survived the Cavaliers wailing horsepower but did not stand up to a V8 motor.

If this is the clutch you use I know a local shop that will sell them to you for 2 dollars a unit. As many as you need.
Attached Thumbnails Converters... You get what you pay for-image_00027-medium-.jpg  
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If this is the clutch you use I know a local shop that will sell them to you for 2 dollars a unit. As many as you need.
Man this some good reading..
thanks to all the "experts" here.. a month ago I knew nothing about converters, now I know nothing, but am confused as well ...

My TCI was an off the shelf, but "Designed" with the TBSS in mind according to what Trevor said..so much so that TCI themselves didn't know this particular model existed and I had to get the part number from trevor himself (ridiculous if you ask me) TCI's lock up clutch was not the issue, but a lack of either workmanship or inferior parts was, as a fin or two broke with only 175mi on it.. like previously stated before, you get what you pay for, my Vigilante 9.5" multiDisc 3plate was $900 and worth every penny as it drives flawlessly and performs the same at the track... "Everyday" driving (from what the "experts" have related to me, and as well as I have read is the enemy of the aftermarket converter), the thousands of cycles the clutch goes through, locking and unlocking is where the "better" companies (DailyDriven, not track Queens) seem to shine.. just sharing what I've learned through my mistakes and own research (amazing the drive one takes on when he is left to "fend" for himself, thanks to a "Lack of Customer Service from TCI) I am glad some have good experiences with them, i have not, nor have many friends, I gave them a shot and they could care less what they did to my Truck (5k mi 8mos old at that) never once offering as much as a new converter shipped out to replace the blown one, money off a new one (which I wouldn't have taken, but at least offer it)..just cast me aside..no problem, I'm better off, just keep hearing about the "customer service" from them and it makes me laugh... Those guys even gave me a hard time about returning the blown (2week old) one, saying they'd call me back with instructions?? I talked to a supervisor and had to have it "handled" by the upper most people running the show there...that really pissed me off, thanks to them, but the regular mgr's and floor personnel SUCK.... and if the TCI rep on here wants to look into this claim, be my guest I have the names, dates, times of EVERYONE and what they told me to do.... anyway, best of luck to those without a Vigilante or Yank and have a DailyDriver with a high stall, you'll need it..
Old 12-23-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trust
1jfuddle, you are good sir. It sounds like you stand behind your product. Your warranty program seems great. I would buy from you if I needed another converter. (Contradicting my other post).
That statement reminds me of a line from the movie Tommy Boy. "I can go take a dump in a box and stamp a gurantee on it, if that's what you want. I got some spare time".

Last edited by zspot98; 12-23-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

the lock up clutch was the only problem, take a closer look at some of the other pictures
Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Fuddle, You seem real quick to push the blame to low line pressure and excessive pulse width modulation. You also talk about your hundreds of happy customers. Thats great, but if you do a search on here you will find quite a few unhappy customers as well. It great that you stand behind your product and offer to warranty because that makes you look like the good guy.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

who else has looked at that clutch first hand and acctually knows what they are talking about?
I'm just asking because I bought a converter and have a feeling it will not last
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

you might want to check out the sticky at the top of the page
Old 12-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
My TCI was an off the shelf, but "Designed" with the TBSS in mind according to what Trevor said..so much so that TCI themselves didn't know this particular model existed and I had to get the part number from trevor himself (ridiculous if you ask me) TCI's lock up clutch was not the issue, but a lack of either workmanship or inferior parts was, as a fin or two broke with only 175mi on it.. like previously stated before, you get what you pay for, my Vigilante 9.5" multiDisc 3plate was $900 and worth every penny as it drives flawlessly and performs the same at the track... "Everyday" driving (from what the "experts" have related to me, and as well as I have read is the enemy of the aftermarket converter), the thousands of cycles the clutch goes through, locking and unlocking is where the "better" companies (DailyDriven, not track Queens) seem to shine.. just sharing what I've learned through my mistakes and own research (amazing the drive one takes on when he is left to "fend" for himself, thanks to a "Lack of Customer Service from TCI) I am glad some have good experiences with them, i have not, nor have many friends, I gave them a shot and they could care less what they did to my Truck (5k mi 8mos old at that) never once offering as much as a new converter shipped out to replace the blown one, money off a new one (which I wouldn't have taken, but at least offer it)..just cast me aside..no problem, I'm better off, just keep hearing about the "customer service" from them and it makes me laugh... Those guys even gave me a hard time about returning the blown (2week old) one, saying they'd call me back with instructions?? I talked to a supervisor and had to have it "handled" by the upper most people running the show there...that really pissed me off, thanks to them, but the regular mgr's and floor personnel SUCK.... and if the TCI rep on here wants to look into this claim, be my guest I have the names, dates, times of EVERYONE and what they told me to do.... anyway, best of luck to those without a Vigilante or Yank and have a DailyDriver with a high stall, you'll need it..
Wow, I have never heard of TCI's lack of customer service. I guess you were just talking to the wrong people. I always deal with Kevin Winsted when I or someone I know needs a converter built. Like I said, I'm sorry that you had bad luck with them. I would love to say that everytime I called TCI with an issue on my converters that they were quick to handle my problems. I can't because I have never had one problem with them. I daily drove my cam only, 10 second, 2000 Z28 with the TCI 4000 in it. I put over 15,000 miles on the converter, and more track passes & street races than I can count. I even drove over 4,000 miles in one week on Power Tour back in 2005. Never one issue, not even with the lockup (like most people have). Converters, as well as any aftermarket part, go bad sometimes. Some have good luck, some don't. Take care!
Old 12-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
Best of luck to those without a Vigilante or Yank and have a DailyDriver with a high stall, you'll need it..
I'd be just as pissed as you are Tony, if what happened to you happened to me, and I would hate the company that supplied the part. But what you experienced was a catastrophic failure, and that has happened with every brand mentioned in this thread. And customer service horrors have been plentifully reported with Yank as well as TCI or Fuddle. As far as daily driving is concerned, my TCI has over 15,000 on it with too many track passes to count. It's worked perfectly in all respects since day one.
Originally Posted by Blackhawk T/A
Exactly. That's why a Transgo shift kit went in the day the converter was installed.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats why we make all our transmission units incapable of pwm . and enlarge the release apply feeds to the converter clutch. Making it a very defined on and off operation .This really should be done even with a stock converter in a hi performance or really from my own experience any 4L60E. PWM (pulse width modulation)(controlled converter clutch slipping) was not one of GMs or anyone elses better ideas , The earliest I saw of it was chrysler with there 604 trans and it did not work out at all well for them either.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-23-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

^^ exactly. When I got my trans built, pwm was disabled. Im not sure your guy's lsx transmissions still have that checkball on the input shaft, but at least on lt1 era transmissions, its recommended to remove it to allow the converter to have the most defined ON or OFF operation.. I dont know why you'd want to use PWM operation with an aftermarket converter anyways. That just calls for longevity issues (as mentioned)

Again sorry for not keeping up on things, but the trans cooling lines on ltx cars operate at around 17-20psi. the stock hardline on the car is very close to if not 3/8". last time I checked 3/8" = close to -6an...

GMRacer13 are you going to bash performabuilt also cause they use an adapter ring also (based on the picture on their site).

Last edited by buffman; 12-23-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I'd be just as pissed as you are Tony, if what happened to you happened to me, and I would hate the company that supplied the part. But what you experienced was a catastrophic failure, and that has happened with every brand mentioned in this thread. And customer service horrors have been plentifully reported with Yank as well as TCI or Fuddle. As far as daily driving is concerned, my TCI has over 15,000 on it with too many track passes to count. It's worked perfectly in all respects since day one.
I agree except for the balance issue that was there from day one and I was told to "rotate the TC one hole over", by them, claiming it would solve the problem, I could go on and on, I won't.. My point is and was, they claimed to have a product that was "Designed" for my truck, and it sucked..not only in mine but in another one as well... three were out there and 2 filed within a couple weeks, how about some R&D on a TBSS before they make such claims??? I don't like being the "Beta" tester w/o my knowledge thanks.. Maybe I should've reached out to this Kevin guy, but I like many other TCI customers don't have the inside hookup, and that reflected big time.. Case in point, Precision sent me the wrong converter, wouldn't line up, it happens right? Well wouldn't you know w/o a penny out of pocket THEY OVERNIGHTED ME THE RIGHT ONE..... that's customer service.. even better yet, i told them i wanted a higher stall than the one they sent (I originally got a 10.5" and now wanted a 9.5") they OVERNIGHTED ME the NEW ONE.. who does that? who? Jack at P.I. is the Man and the company is awsome, something I looked for from TCI and they were a HUGE letdown... forget about the converter dying, they wouldn't even send me a new one w/o charging me for it? is this a "MOM & POP" shop or a multi Million dollar company looking out for their Customers "How do I know you won't send me a BOX of ROCKS back" that's what they said? Give me a F'in Break, what a joke man... Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays...Tony
Old 12-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
PWM (pulse width modulation)(controlled converter clutch slipping) was not one of GMs or anyone elses better ideas.
You may remember that when GM came out with lock-up clutch converters in the early 80's or whenever, that there was a hue and cry about the jerkiness of the lock-up & unlock. I think PWM was an attempt to soften locking to be almost imperceptible and stop all the consumer complaining.

I was suprised at how firm lock-up was after the shift kit install. I loved it. Most of us have different sensibilities than the general public, though ...
Old 12-23-2006, 09:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes we do use the adapter ring in that particular line of converters and we have had no issues however we do suggest the elimination of the PWM however just after the first of the year since demand for these converters and satisfaction has been so good we will be offering the billet plate version with the larger clutch area also in a different line for those who do intend on using lockup regularly at WOT etc .
The smaller diameter units are a bit lighter which is a plus and are fine with PWM disabled and lockup applied at WOT only for the occasional dyno run , GM didn't lock the converter at WOT with any size unit .
The offerings and pricing on the large clutch units will be available in the next few days ,
We have had them all along but we have been watching to see what demand there was they will still be 9.5 but will have the larger backing plate area ,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Converters... You get what you pay for